Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Big Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

6'2" 190, and I think the seats are very comfortable.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:58 AM
FUBUZ06AMG
FUBUZ06AMG
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6'2" and weigh 205 with a 34 waist and have intermitten lower back pain. My '07 Z06 is close in comfort to my '07 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG, IMHO.

If you do not feel safe and comfortable I would urge you to NOT buy the Z06.

New '08 Z06's are now plentiful around the country so you should not feel pressured to buy 1.

BOL,

Les(:-D):::
Old 10-18-2007, 09:33 AM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6 foot plus and weigh about 250.......coming from a 2005 coupe, I am disappointed that the Z doesn't have an adjustable lumbar support....but we still made a 650 mile run from Bowling Green to home about a month ago without any significant "comfort" issues.
Bottom Line....IF you want the car, buy it and enjoy the h... our of it.........we do.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:36 AM
OneBadZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

The only dissapointment of the Z for me is that I don't have two of them!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 10:11 AM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

It sounds like I'm the one who needs to buy a Caddy

Thanks for the info on the Caravaggio seats!
(I think Caravaggio was a famous Italian painter?)
Old 10-18-2007, 10:16 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's surprising how many people just don't know how to properly adjust a 6-way power seat for their own comfort. I'm not saying that's the issue here but it is a very common problem. I personally don't see how such an adjustable seat could NOT be at least somewhat comfortable enough to not want to buy the car over it.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:20 AM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem with seats. Either you get to your destination in a few minutes with a Z, or the police put you in a very comfortable Crown Vic.

Same with back window. You will not need to look out there since you will be miles ahead of everyone.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:24 AM
clogan
Burning Brakes

My wife and I both find the seats in my Z to be very comfortable; the most comfortable, in fact, of all of our 4 automobiles. We often take 300+ mile road trips in the Z, and enjoy the comfort. I would suggest that you try the up/down/forward/back/tilt adjustments to see if perhaps you can find a comfortable combination. That's what I did, and then, after programming it to "Driver 1" memory, it's always there for me at the touch of one button.

I do not find that there are blind spots with the Z, provided that the side mirrors are adjusted propery (a very common failure by most drivers).

YMMV
Old 10-18-2007, 10:27 AM
MyBeaches
Pro

I can imagine when I am 66 years old, a Z06 will not feel comfortable to me then as well. Wait until you start driving it and start hitting a few bumps in the road!
Old 10-18-2007, 10:31 AM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

I guess I should add that I dont own a Z yet, so I didn't really take the time to adjust too much.

But honestly I was SHOCKED at how well the Z took bumps and handles on the road. I've been in a quite a few well-modified imports and the Z handles like a luxury car in comparison.
I'm not talking about body roll, just comfort.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lead Foot 66
So...have you replaced the seats, and if so with what? And no I don't want a Caddy That's why I've got a Volvo V70R; very comfy seats and good handling and performance with a 6 speed MT in a wagon.

So, I like the ZO6, but just don't want to have to get out of a car in pain.
Oh that's where that is coming from, don't even think for one 2nd that you can compare the seats of an "R" with the seats of the Vette. I own a S60R not only are the seats superior to the Vette seats the "R" seats are superior to nearly every automobile, so don't compare the two in the area of comfort.

The Vette is a sports car the are "R" is not.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:05 AM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just get you an XLRV. It's nearly a Vette and alot more comfortable. I don't have either issue in my Z06. You get used to the rear window. That's the nature of a real sports car.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:28 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Here we were ready to order a new ZO6. So we went to a dealer ans sat in a 2008 they had on the showroom floor. The sales people were very nice.

My wife and I sat in the car for perhaps an hour. We switched places from driver to passenger too.

We both found that the seat cushion bolster running perpendicular to the direction of our legs bother us both. It felt as though a rod was running under our legs about mid thigh. Well if one can't get comfortable in a car, why buy it?

Oh, and looking out the rear window via the inside rear view mirrow seemed like looking through a sliver of a window? Seems like big blind spots. Is this a problem or was this just because we were in the showroom?

Do any of you current ZO6 owners have a similar problems? If so, what have you done about it?

If we could get beyond the seat comfort issue, we'd be ZO6 owners.

TIA
About the seats, you may have a point about comfort. But then, you sat in the car at a stand still for about an hour. You see, when you drive the Z like it was meant to be driven, you'd be stuck to the seat back, and that creates a slight lift, or pushed to the edge of the seat; no more achy thighs. Problem solved.

But then there is a more practical and simple solution - get the seats padded. I did mine (I only got my seats reworked because I have a back problem issues). Besides, a $20M F16 jet is not comfortable as the Vette - so stop complaining.

Do you want do drive a vehicle with blind spots? I'll take for a spin in my Hummer - I'll show you blind spots. I don't know about other Corvette drivers, but I think the Vette has less blind spots than most cars. Between all three mirrors, if set-up properly, you can literally drive without having to look over your shoulders.

That leaves one simple question - do you like the looks & performance of the Corvette? Just buy the darn thing. YOU WONT REGRET IT.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:30 AM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

Here we were ready to order a new ZO6. So we went to a dealer ans sat in a 2008 they had on the showroom floor. The sales people were very nice.

My wife and I sat in the car for perhaps an hour. We switched places from driver to passenger too.

We both found that the seat cushion bolster running perpendicular to the direction of our legs bother us both. It felt as though a rod was running under our legs about mid thigh. Well if one can't get comfortable in a car, why buy it?

Oh, and looking out the rear window via the inside rear view mirrow seemed like looking through a sliver of a window? Seems like big blind spots. Is this a problem or was this just because we were in the showroom?

Do any of you current ZO6 owners have a similar problems? If so, what have you done about it?

If we could get beyond the seat comfort issue, we'd be ZO6 owners.

TIA
I had the same problem with my C5 seats and I just ordered a new 08 coupe and the seats seem to have the same sore spot and the Z06 seats are very similar. It seems that the bolsters are either too high or too close together, at least for my butt. It's OK on short hauls but not very comfortable on drives over 2 hours. I might take mine to an upholstery shop to add about a half inch of foam to the middle portion of the seat if the bolsters don't soften up.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:39 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Finelee
I had the same problem with my C5 seats and I just ordered a new 08 coupe and the seats seem to have the same sore spot and the Z06 seats are very similar. It seems that the bolsters are either too high or too close together, at least for my butt. It's OK on short hauls but not very comfortable on drives over 2 hours. I might take mine to an upholstery shop to add about a half inch of foam to the middle portion of the seat if the bolsters don't soften up.
That's exactly what I did. In addition, I beefed up the lumbar and headrest areas as well. A world of difference.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:50 AM
rms427
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm 6'6" 220 #'s and find the seats to be very comfortable. In fact I find them to be better than our Lexus LS430. My wife also likes them although she prefers the Lexus seats. I had a 1990 ZR-1 before the Z06 and we both hated the seats. Some years ago I purchased a 1997 twin turbo Supra because I thought it was comfortable for a sports car. I still have the car but don't drive it much because I find the Z06 more comfortable and much more fun to drive.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:57 AM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you think the current z06 seats are "inadequate", don't even attempt to look at a 01-04 z06. Those seats were really pathetic. I think the C6Z is actually quite comfortable with alot more side bolstering (but of course, like everything, they could stand improvement).

Get notified of new replies

To Big Disappointment

Old 10-18-2007, 12:02 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm envious. Man you are fortunate to have a wife who apparently not only tolerates your having a performance car but is into it herself.

My wife hates performance cars when she is not being afraid of them. She's never been in my C6. The thought of a spouse who would actively participate in evaluating a Z06 purchase is beyond my comprehension. Seats? Blind spots? Man, you are so lucky those things are minor in comparision to your good fortune.

If you think currect Corvettes are uncomfortable see if you can find someone to give you a ride in a ' 67 big block on a hot summer day. It's like an amusement park ride minus most of the safety features. Comfort isn't what it's about but the vettes now are ultra luxury compared to the past.

They probably won't let you test drive a Z06 but perhaps you can get a test drive in an "ordinary" C6. If seat comfort is such a big priority you might not need 505 hp. Try out the base car first and see if you can handle that. It's slower than the Z06 for sure but that doesn't mean it's not VERY fast.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:10 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Wanderer Z06
I think one of the problems is your getting out of your Volvo V70R and then into a low profile sports car. I drove a friends Audi S4 for a day and got back into the Z and for a moment or two it felt very different. I was aware that I would so I wasn't shocked.

I'm 6 ft - 225lbs and no problems with seats or rear view mirror.

Good luck
I agree...I daily drive an M3...and it is one of the most comfortable cars...when I sit in the Z, I can't expect similar results. The seats in my opinion, "lack" character...I actually wish they could be even stiffer and more "race-ready"...too soft for me.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Trawicked
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm 6'7 266lbs and the seats are fine, just gotta take my time getting situated & take my shoes off. But it is well worth it.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Big Disappointment