Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Results of my 6th 1/4 mile pass in the Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:52 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RFAST_2
I guess I will have to wait until next year for my 11. This was my only track time and the first run was 12.3. (Last year' attempt did not count 14.7 and with no traction.) I was surprised and nervous about the run and did not want to get too anxious for the next run. Too many threads on the weak rear axles and ugly thoughts about breaking 100 miles from home base. Next runs were 12.4 and then 12.1.
The Z06 is the car. Just add more driving experience .
I know the feeling about paranoia regarding breaking something. Mine is an '06 without the upgraded rear axles. So yes, its in the back of my mind.

I guess after you run HPDEs, knowing full well that you could total the car outright, or have some other careless driver total it for you, that breaking an axle shaft doesn't scare you as much.

However if you don't beat on it then it is not abuse. And if you don't abuse it, then you should be fine. And if not, then fix it. And its not necessary to beat on it in order to get a decent time out of it.

In other words, I came nowhere close to what I would call abusing the car when I ran that 11.8.

No hard launch, no excessive slipping the clutch, no dumping the clutch, no banging the gears, and absolutley no attempt to powershift. This run was not much more aggressive than I have run the car on the highway. I put my foot into it, yes, but I was not flogging it.

The other thing for me is that there is a dealership, with a very highly respected Vette department, they sell aftermarket parts themselves, about a mile from the track. I am told that they tend not to ask too many questions either. That makes a difference too. A little more peace of mind.

I won't abuse or flog the car.

Indeed thats another remarkable thing about these cars. You don't have to flog the $#!+ out of them in order to run a decent time. You can run the spec, or very close to it, and the car will not even work up a sweat.

11.8 is "respectable" and I swear it was just lettting the car stretch it's legs. No beating on it whatsoever. Just really a very aggressive stroll, granny shifting. Some of these really good drivers whose times you see posted on that list, can run that 11.8 at will. Thats crawling to them.

So to conclude, if your goal is to run the C6 Z06 spec, then you should be able to do that without beating on it and breaking something.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-22-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:10 AM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I'm not much of a drag racer with a manual, preferring to run HPDEs with both my '05 C6 and now the '06 Z06 having concentrated on the drags with my C5 which was an automatic.

Goal with the C6 Z06 was to run the spec ET of 11.7 and prove that a non quarter miler could do it. Ran 11.8. .

Decent 60ft time on 24lbs of air in the rears and 39lbs of air in the fronts hot. One click of the TC button and a first gear burnout, nothing fancy. Half a tank of gasoline.

Launch at 3100 RPM in 73* weather today. Slight bog and then on into the gas.

I am in the right lane.

This is a completely showroom stock run on the street runflats.

*well, it does have the CAGs eliminator and the Window Valet on it.

Oh well. The spec is 11.7, I ran 11.8. Just my 6th pass. Missed the spec by about 6/100 of a second. Trap speed suffered immensely due to short shifting the 1-2 and the 2-3.

But the car, with practice, definitely has 11.5-11.6 in it at around 123 mph. These things are real beasts on a quarter mile strip. I know that I left 2 tenths and about 4-5mph out there today, short shifting.

I have about 3-4 more trips to the strip available to me before the track closes for the winter and looking for 11.6 before season end.

I solicit any comments, pointers or criticism.

I know the feeling about paranoia regarding breaking something. Mine is an '06 without the upgraded rear axles. So yes, its in the back of my mind.

I guess after you run HPDEs, knowing full well that you could total the car outright, or have some other careless driver total it for you, that breaking an axle shaft doesn't scare you as much.

However if you don't beat on it then it is not abuse. And if you don't abuse it, then you should be fine. And if not, then fix it. And its not necessary to beat on it in order to get a decent time out of it.

In other words, I came nowhere close to what I would call abusing the car when I ran that 11.8.

No hard launch, no excessive slipping the clutch, no dumping the clutch, no banging the gears, and absolutley no attempt to powershift. This run was not much more aggressive than I have run the car on the highway. I put my foot into it, yes, but I was not flogging it.

The other thing for me is that there is a dealership, with a very highly respected Vette department, they sell aftermarket parts themselves, about a mile from the track. I am told that they tend not to ask too many questions either. That makes a difference too. A little more peace of mind.

I won't abuse or flog the car.

Indeed thats another remarkable thing about these cars. You don't have to flog the $#!+ out of them in order to run a decent time. You can run the spec, or very close to it, and the car will not even work up a sweat.

11.8 is "respectable" and I swear it was just lettting the car stretch it's legs. No beating on it whatsoever. Just really a very aggressive stroll, granny shifting. Some of these really good drivers whose times you see posted on that list, can run that 11.8 at will. Thats crawling to them.

So to conclude, if your goal is to run the C6 Z06 spec, then you should be able to do that without beating on it and breaking something.
Very interesting. Decent times. Did you ever hit 11.6 at the strip? Though sadly, whether you abuse/flog it or not, just by participating in a HPDE or Drag Strip racing event, GM considers this abusing your car and violates its warranty terms.

Last edited by siffert; 06-26-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:16 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Hey, not bad quick! Love the 60ft on stock GY's!
Old 06-26-2009, 03:59 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,714 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Am I the only one who noticed that this thread is almost two years old?

Nice times, BTW.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:30 PM
quickc6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't untell I read your post .
Old 06-26-2009, 06:46 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Thanks guys, and yes that run was made about 2 years ago on the runflats.

It has NT-05s on it now, and is no longer on stock GY Eagle F1 EMTs, and I no longer run it at the strip, preferring the HPDE's and autocrosses.

The person who dug this thread up though apparently feels that it should cause some warranty concerns for me, as he is resentful about my pointing to his posts indicating that he has an extra ECM and possibly plans to use it to effect a fraudulent warranty repair.

My criticism for that has really burned his ***. To that I say GOOD.

He should however know, that this nearly 2 year old post, is not a warranty concern for me at all.

To show you how minimally concerned of a warranty threat this 2 year old thread is, I'd actually have no problem printing this thread and taking it to them if I ever needed any warranty repair.

I would not seek a warranty repair, nor insurance coverage for that matter, for a track related incident.

Furthermore, it is WELL KNOWN, that I have an MGW shifter as well, having written/started at least two threads describing the install of an MGW shifter IN MY OWN Z06, which is indeed a threat to my warranty.

I would not even consider pulling it and replacing it with the stock shifter before taking it in if the tranny were to crap out on it tomorrow, or any other day for that matter. If my car craps out right now, I will take it in to the dealer AS IS and with no attempt to conceal what equipment or tune was in it when it failed.

Were I not prepared to man up and buy a new transmission should mine fail, then I would not have put a short throw shifter in my car.

However, the big point is, I would NEVER be the type person to swap out a tuned ECM from my car, and put in a stock ECM in an attempt to obtain a FRAUDULENT warranty repair, believeing that GM would not be able to detect that I had done so. Nor would I buy a spare ECM with that intent.

Go back and read the prior posts of the person who dug this thread up, and see if you can see him describing this.

Race on guys, but if you break it or wreck it, at the track, be prepared to fix it because your warranty most likely won't cover a track related breakage.

Originally Posted by siffert
Very interesting. Decent times. Did you ever hit 11.6 at the strip? Though sadly, whether you abuse/flog it or not, just by participating in a HPDE or Drag Strip racing event, GM considers this abusing your car and violates its warranty terms.
As well they should. If I break while racing my car, or doing an HPDE or autocross, I don't expect that they would foot the bill.

They never agreed to sponsor our competitive driving efforts.

That said, a few Z06 engines have popped while doing HPDEs, due to oil starvation issues, and have been covered under warranty with GM knowing the circumstances of the breakage.

Were that to happen to me, I'd take it in, make no effort to conceal or hide the circumstances of the breakage, and go in fully prepared to pay out of pocket if they denied me warranty coverage.

What I wouldn't do is try and deceive them. Which is what swapping out a tuned ECM for a stock one, or reflashing a tuned ECM back to stock in an attempt to effect a fraudulent warranty repair amounts to.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-27-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:13 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Perhaps they weren't asking too many questions two years ago and longer, as in back in the days of the C5, when I first heard that rumor.

But that has no doubt changed now since powertrain warranty repairs have to be approved by GM beforehand. Who knows?

But whatever the case, the rumor was that this particular dealership was not as hard core about breakage as some of the others, and it was all hearsay.

I never found out if this rumor was true, one way or the other, but of course now its entirely moot because any powertrain failure they do has to be OKed by GM first.

BTW Siffert, thanks much for bringing this thread back to the top. Thanks for dusting it off. It just might help someone who is planning on running a quarter mile time themselves.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-26-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:35 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not angry. I just find you a hypocrite. You who lives in a glass house should not throw stones. At the time you posted this, you never said you were going to take your racing records to the dealer, rather it was lokoing at a dealer who sold aftermarket parts and whom "I am told they dont ask too many questions". Sure sounds like fraud to me. GM's stance on racing disclaimer in their warranty is exactly the same 2 years ago as it is now. You are singing a new tune now and of course can long wind it, spin it, sleaze it and and slice it any way you want now its out in the open. Not Impressed.

Last edited by siffert; 06-26-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:40 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I am not angry.
Bitter seems to be more like it.

I just find you a hypocrite. At the time you posted this, it was "I am told they dont ask too many questions". You were not talking about bringing your racing record into the dealer back then either. You are singing a new tune now and of course can sleaze and slice it any way you want now its out in the open. Not Impressed.
And I'm not worried.

Read the post above, and you'll see where I talk about accountability.

Not saying that you are one of them, because we all know that you would never do this, but thats something that ECM swapping, and return to stock tuned ECM people, attempting to get fraudulent warranty repairs on their previously tuned cars, know nothing of.

....I know the feeling about paranoia regarding breaking something. Mine is an '06 without the upgraded rear axles. So yes, its in the back of my mind.

Thats right, fix it.

Don't "take it back to stock". FIX IT.

This is why, in my opinion, having your tuning done locally, and/or having your own tuning hardware/software is the best idea. You never know when you might need some kind of warranty work and/or update required and the potential to have your warranty claim denied because of a "tune" discovered or worse yet, a "locked tune" or "locked PCM/ECM". Having your local tuner who can change your PCM/ECM back to stock form prior to going in to the dealer, or having your own tuner software to change back to stock assures you of no problems at the dealer when it comes to the PCM/ECM. Food for thought, especially in light of the #12 thread I just read below!!
Correct. I had a conservative tune safely on the rich side (11.9-12.2)and then went to a more aggresive tune biased toward the lean (12.6)and picked up .25 in ET over the conservative tune. That's quite a bit.
I never thought that..will go back to stock if I ever go to the dealer, thanks. Only been there twice and before I tuned...gas cap and torn wire under the seat.
Indeed it is, food for thought. Being called a "hypocrite" by a guy like that is an honor.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-27-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Results of my 6th 1/4 mile pass in the Z06