Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Here's 1 big reason of many why the ZR-1 will punish the Viper ACR on the track. PICS

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 06:06 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stanklr
Holy Moly Batman!!!!!! Zr1> ugly *** ricer viper...

Thanks for sharing man
With C5 wagon wheels painted black, no less.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ChargedC6
yeah but on the other hand i feel sorry when you need new pads on zr-1.
Pads aren't a big deal, rotors are. The rotors will last the life of the car....if it isn't tracked. I do agree that replacing these rotors will be a nice dent in your wallet.

just because they are huge brakes dosnt mean it stops as well. if you read the tech write ups on the braking for the acr viper it stakes it has less then a 100ft stopping distance from 60. thats pretty F'n good if you ask me. actually thats VERY good.

to me it looks like another whos is bigger arguement. seems to me there are alot of insecure vette fans out there that are trying to find every little thing possible to bash the viper.
Absolutely no arguement intended here. I agree the brakes on the Viper will get the job done. I never questioned that....and I agree with GeneCamaro below:

Originally Posted by GeneCamaro
A lot of cars will stop from 60 within a 100 feet. The C5 Z51 and Z06 managed that. It's repeated high speed stops, minimal brake fade, and pedal modulation that's the important part. I don't doubt that the ACR's brakes will survive on the track. The ZR1's brakes are just on another level above.

Originally Posted by Z Fast
Yes, it is a function of tire, BUT repeated use of the brakes will reduce the capability of brakes as heat takes over. I don't doubt that the Viper brakes will stop it fast, but after repeated abuse on a high speed track, which brake do you think will continue to perform. My bet is on the ZR1 carbon ceramics. And the car with brakes that can give consistent performance and feel(confidence) will be the one that will turn faster track times as the race goes on.

The OP made a statement based on his knowledge and experience. If you were to ask him the weak point in the C6Z (with regards to track duty), I'm certain he would point to the brakes. This is not a case who is bigger, just a function of physics. But it may be a case of who is lighter

Tom
Well articulated Tom, thank you.

I agree with the statement but again also do you honestly think that dodge would release the ACR (American club RACER) viper which is designed for track use with a set of brakes that wouldnt be able to safely handle the car over long repeated track days?

and plus i bet the owners of the ACR will see alot more track time then the Zr1 owners will because most of the vettes will be bought and thrown in a garage and used as grandmasters in disney parades.
ChargedC6....I like Vipers...old and new! I've driven both and they are a blast. You are probably correct about more ACRs on track, but again that's their intended first use....

Again, I never said the Viper brakes were inadequate...more that the ZR-1's are awesome!

At my home track we have every car you could think of run together. We all try to help each other out and learn from one another.

Mike

Originally Posted by Z Fast

If you knew Mike(Short-Throw), you would know that he is not like that. He has nothing but respect for all ultra performance cars. But he is passionate about brakes and stopping.

Tom
Once again Tom.....Thanks!

If it has a spark plug and burns gas I like it!

Mike
Old 01-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by agentf1

Time will tell.

It most certainly will and I wish I could share more...........

You may want to parley that bet.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:51 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw

If it has a spark plug and burns gas I like it!

Mike

Hmmm... you obviously have never seen the Audi R8 TDI 12...

No spark plugs or gas, either, but certainly grabbed my attention!

http://www.duemotori.com/news/auto_n..._from_Audi.php

Old 01-20-2008, 06:58 PM
ChargedC6
Burning Brakes

Short-throw. Your probably the most respectfull person yet ive seen with viper-vette comparison! i no way intended to bash you. Just speaking my mind on what ive seen in the past i guess i jumped the gun a little ha!

ive been a viper fan for longer then a vette fan and now that chevy finally put some thing out there to compete on a "TRACK" not street level there is probably going to be many many more threads to come !

Old 01-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

My bets on the ACR on the road course, but the ZR1 in the straights. Why the ACR on the roadcourse? Four reasons:

1.) Downforce, downforce, downforce. Did I mention downforce?
2.) Tires
3.) Suspension
4.) N/A engine

Why the Z06 on the straights:

1.) Less wind resistance, main reason.
2.) Possible RWHP advantage - time will tell.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TrackNoob
Hmmm... you obviously have never seen the Audi R8 TDI 12...
Audi held a corporate event at our club last year. I've seen the car up close and driven it. It is awesome and like most cars, look better than the pics show.

Here's a pic from the Auto-show yesterday.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Short-throw. Your probably the most respectfull person yet ive seen with viper-vette comparison! i no way intended to bash you. Just speaking my mind on what ive seen in the past i guess i jumped the gun a little ha!

ive been a viper fan for longer then a vette fan and now that chevy finally put some thing out there to compete on a "TRACK" not street level there is probably going to be many many more threads to come !

Gerrad,

I never took it as a bash, but I guess from all the 1000s of past posts regarding Vette vs Viper you were just bracing yourself for the worst.....and this time it wasn't necessary!

Mike
Old 01-20-2008, 07:31 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Audi held a corporate event at our club last year. I've seen the car up close and driven it. It is awesome and like most cars, look better than the pics show.

Here's a pic from the Auto-show yesterday.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
My bets on the ACR on the road course, but the ZR1 in the straights. Why the ACR on the roadcourse? Four reasons:

1.) Downforce, downforce, downforce. Did I mention downforce?
2.) Tires
3.) Suspension
4.) N/A engine

Why the Z06 on the straights:

1.) Less wind resistance, main reason.
2.) Possible RWHP advantage - time will tell.

Do you know the counts of downforce on the Viper regarding the front spoiler, canards, and rear wing? I think you'd be surprised at the comparison of these two cars.

Everyone is quick to judge the LS9 vs NA. Remember the VNT Turbo on the GNX's? The turbo lag talk stopped once this car was tested!

Like you say....time will tell.

In the meantime it's cool to see both cars strive for so much!

Mike
Old 01-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Mr turbo rotary
Team Owner

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Try not to laugh at this...

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...&highlight=zr1
Old 01-20-2008, 08:47 PM
MyBeaches
Pro

In case you didn't know, the ZR1 has the exact same brakes as this car. It only cost $2.5 million.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:52 PM
ChargedC6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MyBeaches
In case you didn't know, the ZR1 has the exact same brakes as this car. It only cost $2.5 million.

yeah but i would much much rather have the Enzo hands down. they made what 350 of them? and 21 of the full race none street legal ones?

and plus if your baller anough to have one i would own a zr-1 also as my daily driver hahaha
Old 01-21-2008, 12:09 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

just because they are huge brakes dosnt mean it stops as well. if you read the tech write ups on the braking for the acr viper it stakes it has less then a 100ft stopping distance from 60. thats pretty F'n good if you ask me. actually thats VERY good.

to me it looks like another whos is bigger arguement. seems to me there are alot of insecure vette fans out there that are trying to find every little thing possible to bash the viper.
Gotta agree on this one, I don't think there is any doubt that the ZR1 will best the ACR in acceleration, but the ACR is built for the track, it is a one dimensional car designed for one thing, if I was a betting man, I would put my money on the ACR, on a course. The logic he is using for the brakes can be used in reverse, the ZR1's motor is much smaller than the Vipers, so I guess the Vipers motor is going to perform better?, we don't have to see any tests to know that isn't true. I think the ZR1 is going to bitch slap the ACR in the straights, but I also think the ACR is going to bitch slap the ZR1 on a course.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:24 AM
Z-Rated
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This will all be put aside when the ZR1 posts its' lap times from VIR !!!
Old 01-21-2008, 12:28 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

I was at the Detroit Auto-show for the NCM unveiling and took a few pics.

Front Viper Brake........

Front ZR-1 Brake........

Rear Viper Brake.........

Rear ZR-1 Brake...........

Mike
Knowing that you are indeed an accomplished racer, lets look at another huge factor in your pictures that makes up for the brakes, I cant believe you overlooked this... how about TIRES!!!!, Zr1's are for all around, track and everyday driving, Lutz stated something like "grandma can drive this car to the grocery store, can you honestly tell me that you can see team Viper making the same statement about the ACR viper? , How can you ignore those full out no holds bar track tires, nothing that I would exactly call an everyday tire to drive on, that car is going to bite substantially better, than the ZR1's tires, you know that the beaks wont be have to be used as much when the car is sticking like glue. No way the ZR1 will take the ACR in a course, I'll conceede everything else but not the road course, no way , also the Vipers rotors are slotted, they will not crack like the drilled ZR1 rotors will

Last edited by NytmereZ; 01-21-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:41 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GeneCamaro
I don't doubt that the ACR's brakes will survive on the track. The ZR1's brakes are just on another level above.

That may be true, but I wouldn't set that in stone the vipers rotors are slotted, the ZR1's are drilled, Drilled rotors are infamous for cracking, also The Vipers Tires are just on another level vs the ZR1's tires, this whole thing is a wash , the Viper ACR will beat the ZR1 without a doubt around the track, as it should, that is what it was made to do.

Get notified of new replies

To Here's 1 big reason of many why the ZR-1 will punish the Viper ACR on the track. PICS

Old 01-21-2008, 01:29 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Knowing that you are indeed an accomplished racer, lets look at another huge factor in your pictures that makes up for the brakes, I cant believe you overlooked this... how about TIRES!!!!, Zr1's are for all around, track and everyday driving, Lutz stated something like "grandma can drive this car to the grocery store, can you honestly tell me that you can see team Viper making the same statement about the ACR viper? , How can you ignore those full out no holds bar track tires, nothing that I would exactly call an everyday tire to drive on, that car is going to bite substantially better, than the ZR1's tires, you know that the beaks wont be have to be used as much when the car is sticking like glue. No way the ZR1 will take the ACR in a course, I'll conceede everything else but not the road course, no way , also the Vipers rotors are slotted, they will not crack like the drilled ZR1 rotors will

You are quite correct with the importance of tires.

Brakes are only as good as tire grip!

The tires on the ZR-1 are not the GY EMT's. If they were you would be spot on. The two limiting factors on the stock Z06 are the tires and brakes when it comes to tracking the car. This is no longer the case with this car. I think you will be quite surprised to see how these new Michelin's run. They are not simply a larger tire to accommodate the larger rims. Michelin's vs. other tire brands are typically 1-2 seconds faster per lap with the pro race teams.

If you take a look at the video that surfaced a short while back from VIR you can see how late the driver brakes going into turn 4 (left hook).

The one constant in bench racing is there are no real world results. Those will come soon and then the car forums can debate track conditions and other excuses.

Here's a short vid of an ACR at Putnam. Does anybody have an idea of what times it can run there? Anyway to extrapolate it from this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuG_W...eature=related

What are the guesstimates for the ACR at VIR. The 2008 Viper already ran there, how much quicker will the ACR times be from that?
Old 01-21-2008, 02:02 AM
Darek-VetteZ51
Advanced

Default Darek-VetteZ51

Very interesting points on both sides. I personally love my 07 C6 Z51 coupe and have to concede that I'd rather have a ZR1 than a Viper...........and the Viper is an awesome machine...just personal preference. We all know that even a stock 08 Vette will beat an Audi R8 and the infamous Porsche Turbo. I would like to see both AMERICAN machines, the Viper ACR and the ZR1 take on ALL foreign competition. I put my money on the American machines, as a team, kicking the *** of any Porsche,any Ferrari ( omit the Enzo ), Aston Martin, etc. Maybe not the Veyron. I'm talking cars 500k and under. The performance value is off the charts on our cars. Speaking for myself and many Vette/Viper owners, I'm very proud!! Competitive banter amongst gear heads is fun and I learn alot. Thanks.

Last edited by Darek-VetteZ51; 01-21-2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:06 AM
GeneCamaro
Racer

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
That may be true, but I wouldn't set that in stone the vipers rotors are slotted, the ZR1's are drilled, Drilled rotors are infamous for cracking, also The Vipers Tires are just on another level vs the ZR1's tires, this whole thing is a wash , the Viper ACR will beat the ZR1 without a doubt around the track, as it should, that is what it was made to do.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. The ZR1 will be deadly on the track. Keep in mind even though it gained weight from the Z06 it still weighs a good 100-150 pounds LESS than the ACR. The supercharger is said to be very efficient. Coefficient of efficiency is up to .76 with this new supercharger. That's on par with some turbines. We'll see how it performs on the track. That video of it running on VIR was very promising, I wouldn't be surprised if it storms the road courses.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Here's 1 big reason of many why the ZR-1 will punish the Viper ACR on the track. PICS