Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] My thoughts on ZR1... power/weight

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default My thoughts on ZR1... power/weight

Here's an email I sent to a buddy of mine, some thoughts on the ZR1:

====================

Hey,

Yeah, the ZR1 is gonna rock the world when it starts production. The Z06 is pretty close competition already for a lot of the world's "supercars", the ZR1 is gonna put most of them to bed. Too bad about the weight increase with the supercharger and all of its supporting hardware... I thought they'd have learned their lesson from Ford on that one. Blowers are HEAVY, at least they make lots of torque. I'd have rathered them make a slightly higher output version of the LS7 and keep it NA, maybe 550-570 hp, and then apply all of the weight savings (Carbon roof, hood, brakes, etc.) to end up with a car that was ~100 lbs lighter also:

C6Z06: 3130 lbs 505 hp 6.20 lbs/hp
C6ZR1: 3350 lbs 620 hp 5.40 lbs/hp (14.8% improvement)
C6ZR1(prop): 3030 lbs 565 hp 5.36 lbs/hp (15.7% improvement)

C5LS1: 3230 lbs 350 hp 9.23 lbs/hp
C5Z06: 3118 lbs 405 hp 7.70 lbs/hp (~112 lbs lighter, +55 hp, 19.9% improvement)
(I just threw the C5Z in for comparison to show how much performance you get by reducing weight a bit and upping power a bit at the same time, the C5Z is on another level from the standard 'Vette)

This is all assuming the power and weight estimates don't change for the ZR1, and that they could have actually saved 100 lbs (brakes, roof and hood should save over 60 lbs, d/s power seat rack another 10). Also, getting another 60 hp from the existing LS7 may not have been possible either and still pass requirements, but I know that tuners are getting +40 RWHP out of just a set of headers and a better air filter with a more aggressive tune... With a ~$100k price tag this stuff shouldn't have been out of the question, though, especially considering they have a cam phaser for their V8s now (that alone with appropriate cam should be worth 20-30 hp on an LS7).

Going this route the car would have better than 50/50 weight distribution (ZR1 is 54/46) and they would have saved the budget of developing a totally new drivetrain (WHOLE engine, new transmission guts and diff case) since the NA route would make about the same torque, just more of it higher in the RPM band. The lower 6600 RPM rev limit is a bit disappointing also, especially considering the shorter stroke, forged crank and strengthened block of the 6.2L LS9.

Oh well, as it sits now anything short of an Enzo will have a fight on its hands with this new car, too bad production will be capped at 2000/yr. (another lesson I thought they'd have learned from Ford).

====================

Don't get me wrong here, I'm pretty stoked about the new car and I think it will whoop-*** just about all of the competition. Just a little dissapointed in the choice to go forced induction instead of saving weight. I'd also like to see Gm offer a REAL track worthy tire package, like Porsche does. N-Ring times are all the rage as far as bragging rights go, and a sticky set of tires will help more than anything.

Last edited by Blue Angel; 01-21-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:53 PM
GeneCamaro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with most of your points.

I think I read the ZR1 has a weight distribution of 52/48, slightly off from the Z06's 50/50.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

To answer your buddy's question on why they would not go the NA route;

They wanted over 600hp. That won't happen from an emissions legal 7.0L LS7 without forced induction.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 01-21-2008, 05:46 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

The problem is that with the NA engine at maybe 570 hp, it would not be king of the hill since the Viper will be king. Therefore GM need to top 600 hp to reclaim the king title.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Z-Rated
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3132 is a base C6Z06 (without noise insulation) 3350 is a loaded ZR1 with every option.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Katech
To answer your buddy's question on why they would not go the NA route;

They wanted over 600hp. That won't happen from an emissions legal 7.0L LS7 without forced induction.
This is my point exactly! They WANTED over 600 hp (for marketing), but to get there they added a bunch of weight (which kinda defeats the purpose). A 1000 hp ZR1 would have been cool, but it wouldn't make sense if they had to add another 1000 lbs to the car to get it (way out there, but proves the point).

They could have had a similar power/weight ratio using a lighter and less powerful engine, and not been stuck with the more nose heavy platform.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z-Rated
3132 is a base C6Z06 (without noise insulation) 3350 is a loaded ZR1 with every option.
My memory failed me by 2 lbs... DOH!

I'm just using the numbers that have been given so far for the ZR1... it's quite possible that the power and weight figures will improve slightly when the official word is out.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by csun213
The problem is that with the NA engine at maybe 570 hp, it would not be king of the hill since the Viper will be king. Therefore GM need to top 600 hp to reclaim the king title.
Yeah, king of the "marketing" hill so pimple-faced teenage boys who know little of cars can say "the Corvette has more power - yay!"

That's the problem with marketing people... they get in the way of good things by screwing with them for the sake of making them "look" or "sound" good, or even better than they are.

Not bashing you, just the marketing BS.

King of the hill is (or IMO, should be) whoever is fastest at whatever given contest of speed is chosen as the yardstick. Alot of people think the Viper is "awesome, man" just because it has 345 tires on the back...
Old 01-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Blue Angel
This is my point exactly! They WANTED over 600 hp (for marketing), but to get there they added a bunch of weight (which kinda defeats the purpose). A 1000 hp ZR1 would have been cool, but it wouldn't make sense if they had to add another 1000 lbs to the car to get it (way out there, but proves the point).

They could have had a similar power/weight ratio using a lighter and less powerful engine, and not been stuck with the more nose heavy platform.
It does not defeat the purpose, or GM would not have spent the money to do it. They wanted a car with over 600hp, so they made it and it has a better power:weight ratio than the Z06. Defeating GM's purpose would be making something that has 599hp. The ZR1 doesn't even defeat your purpose of better power to weight than the Z06.

The masses don't care about the weight, the purists do. GM built a car to appeal to the masses, they can leave the purists to Katech.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:48 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

550 hp and 2900 lbs. might not have impressed the pimple faced teenagers but who buys the cars? It would only take one or two reviews in the magazines before everyone realized the ZR1 was king regardless of hp.

I wish GM would give me a job.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:03 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Katech
It does not defeat the purpose, or GM would not have spent the money to do it. They wanted a car with over 600hp, so they made it and it has a better power:weight ratio than the Z06. Defeating GM's purpose would be making something that has 599hp. The ZR1 doesn't even defeat your purpose of better power to weight than the Z06.

The masses don't care about the weight, the purists do. GM built a car to appeal to the masses, they can leave the purists to Katech.

BTW does Katech have any plans for modifications for the ZR-1??

I would understand if you can't let out specifics.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:53 AM
GeneCamaro
Racer

Originally Posted by robvuk
550 hp and 2900 lbs. might not have impressed the pimple faced teenagers but who buys the cars? It would only take one or two reviews in the magazines before everyone realized the ZR1 was king regardless of hp.

I wish GM would give me a job.
It's not that easy to drop 200-300 pounds of an already light car.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Wanderer Z06
BTW does Katech have any plans for modifications for the ZR-1??

I would understand if you can't let out specifics.

Yes, we do.

Get notified of new replies

To My thoughts on ZR1... power/weight

Quick Reply: [ZR1] My thoughts on ZR1... power/weight