Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] $300,000 Zr1 ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 11:28 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

they are just talking crap....msrp will be easy to come by...i am going to offer 1500 over invoice to my dealer for it....he will sell it to me for msrp...but ..1.. i dont know what that is...2...i am not that impressed with it...the only thing i like over my z is 620 hp...nothing else is worth any more to me than what is already on the z06...in fact it has several negatives compared to the z06...the cf roof just looks like crap to me..i have never been a fan of exposed cf....that front splitter looks way to easy to take out...watch parking curbs and forget about autocross...the hood window...well i need to see it in person....race rubber will not be available...[ took quite awhile for hoosier to have tires for my 06z]...so whats it value, use, purpose?...bragging rights!...damn...i just talked myself out of getting one!
Old 02-09-2008, 11:32 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 287 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Price gouging (aka profiteering) is when you seriously over charge people for a NECESSITY. An example would be "here comes a hurricane and if you want lumber to board up the windows on your house you're going to pay me 10X the normal price or lose your house". A new Corvette (no matter how desireable it may be) is not a neccesity. So, by definition, it's not price gouging to charge whatever a dealer thinks he can get for it. It's capitalism. If there is a buyer for it at $300k then he was right to price it that way.

Just because it's priced out of YOUR range (and mine) that doesn't make the seller a bad guy. It makes him a businessman. That's why the dealers are dealers

Z//

Business is business and this is America. A lot of people with disposable income, that will drop $200-300k for the latest and greatest. It'll wear off, they'll move onto something else and prices will drop.

If people get mad that the dealers are price gouging again, those people need to get a life and complain about other things...like global warming or high gas prices.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:41 PM
5decades
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jamie furman
I disagree, I think that is exactly who will buy them! Unless you have never seen one in person or are just Corvette **** and wouldn't buy anything else I don't think you will be that impressed with the ZR1. I mean besides a nice set of brakes, a supercharger on a smaller motor and a few scoops what are you getting? When it comes to Exotic its not even in the same league as the Ford GT and that car only brought 50 to 100k over in its inception and shortly thereafter (6 months) I bought mine for 14k under msrp and that was in a booming economy over 3 years ago. Not only that the Z06 looks better (cleaner), has a 427 and is way cheaper! I mean how much faster can the ZR1 be? if at all? I saw the ZR1 in person they sold at Barrett Jackson and the car just wasn't very pretty, basically looked like a Z06 with a couple of extra scoops and a gimicky hood. I agree with whoever made the comparison to the first ZR1's back in the early 90's except those cars were way faster and more exoctic than the standard vette was back then and after about 6 months of gouging they were discounting them 30%. Be patient if you want a ZR1 there will be deals! Look at the 600 hp Viper they are already discounting those.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:49 PM
5decades
Racer

This is sooooo typical of a Chevy Dealer! They love to throw s&#( on the wall and see if it sticks!
They are licking their chops to get their hands a this car and waiting for the first batch of suckers to funnel in and bid on it.
Folks I love my Z, but at 200K I want the prancing horse or something else that ends in an I!
Old 02-09-2008, 11:51 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 287 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 5decades
This is sooooo typical of a Chevy Dealer! They love to throw s&#( on the wall and see if it sticks!
They are licking their chops to get their hands a this car and waiting for the first batch of suckers to funnel in and bid on it.
Folks I love my Z, but at 200K I want the prancing horse or something else that ends in an I!
Hyundai?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:54 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't want a Vette with a see through hood at any price.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:08 AM
bigmike32172
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
Hyundai?
No silly.......an Infiniti
Old 02-10-2008, 12:14 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

The early ZR1s will be hiked up for sure!! I bet $50k over will be common. But I think in time that will ease to MSRP... With that said I have a friend with a signed contract for #1 at MSRP.... time will tell!!
Old 02-10-2008, 01:07 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Price gouging (aka profiteering) is when you seriously over charge people for a NECESSITY. An example would be "here comes a hurricane and if you want lumber to board up the windows on your house you're going to pay me 10X the normal price or lose your house".
another example is war profiteering, which IMO should be roughly equivalent to treason. instead, it is ignored.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:15 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

i would like to add some other perspective.

let's say you were offered and bought a ZR1 at invoice. (and let's say there's no holdback so your actual cost is invoice.) you then decide you don't want it. are you going to sell it to someone else at invoice? at msrp? or are you going to try to get as much money as possible? are you going to ask $10k over msrp because you know you want a quick sale, or do you have the space to store it and decide to try for $100k over msrp and give it a month or two. personally, i would be trying for the big bucks.

also, each dealer will get very low numbers of these cars. they have to start high on their asking price. once they offer it at $125 they can't go back and say $150 because you said yes too quickly.

i doubt the zr1 can command $300 much less $200. but since the demand is unknown as yet, you have to start high otherwise you risk leaving $100 on the table. that would suck.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:14 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by RFZ
they are just talking crap....msrp will be easy to come by...i am going to offer 1500 over invoice to my dealer for it ...
... I can see it now. Quote from the Chevy dealer sales manager.

"Hey, we made more on that last Cobalt sale then we did on the only limited produced, first year ZR1 we were allocated ... genius !!"

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 02-10-2008 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:35 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 441 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
This ZR1 is heading down the same path as the last one.

Its got "marketing flop" written all over it.

Big Time
Old 02-10-2008, 03:55 AM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Exterminator
Are they nuts? This is what a dealer in AZ just advised me when I asked about ZR1 pricing:

If this is true, and GM doesn't increase production numbers, there shouldn't be any impact on Z06 values.
Sure, $300K is fine, for TWO ZR1's (custom-ordered, factory delivered) -- and they need to throw in a FREE SUV or Caddy for my troubles.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:35 AM
jak112460
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Exterminator
Are they nuts? This is what a dealer in AZ just advised me when I asked about ZR1 pricing:

If this is true, and GM doesn't increase production numbers, there shouldn't be any impact on Z06 values.
This is a perfect example of why GM deserves to go bankrupt. Why would I ever go to a dealer that treats customers that way? I use to buy GM exclusively but they don't care about customers. Price screwing is why people see dealers and car salesman as low lifes.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:52 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jak112460
This is a perfect example of why GM deserves to go bankrupt. Why would I ever go to a dealer that treats customers that way? I use to buy GM exclusively but they don't care about customers. Price screwing is why people see dealers and car salesman as low lifes.
Even though I am not a fan of the ZR1 I do believe the dealers should be able to make a profit, thats why they are in business, and they should make as much as they can! If you don't think they should the only thing you can do is not buy there products until you can purchase them at what you feel is fair. If no one was willing to pay over for the ZR1 like they are no longer willing to do for the Z06 you would see the same price curve as you do now with the Z06's. I promise I will help by not buying one above MSRP!
Old 02-10-2008, 01:03 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

People were paying way over for C6Z's when they came out in a much better economy. The ZR1 will bring stupid money to start but will come down in price quickly.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:27 PM
CDNZR
Drifting

Received 409 Likes on 256 Posts

A Corvette still a Corvette. A ZR1 still a Corvette not an Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo etc.. Most prospective owners of the new ZR1 are likely from current Vette owners. And I am one who traded in my 89' convertible on a 90Z.
And most of the Vette owners knows how much it's worth, and it's not at $200k. I don't think all those who owned highend German/Import brands will all of a sudden dished out the same $$ for a ZR1? And to those who will, good for you.
Chevrolet have ****y timing for releasing their most expensive sport car during/close to a recession.
A little of history back in the early years of the last ZR-1. After the first year of their released, I found a dealer discounted a 91 ZR-1 close to $15k less msrp.
I am a big vette guy myself, but if I had the $ for one, I would rather have a Z06 and a C6 coupe for the same price of $125k-ZR1. Even at $125k msrp, it's still too much for a glorify Z06 or C6 coupe.

Get notified of new replies

To $300,000 Zr1 ?!?

Old 02-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jak112460
This is a perfect example of why GM deserves to go bankrupt. Why would I ever go to a dealer that treats customers that way? Price screwing is why people see dealers and car salesman as low lifes.
And this is different how as compared to what Ford dealers did with the Ford GT when it was new....?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Vetteinplano
Burning Brakes

Where in the "rules" does it say the maximum price a dealer can ask for a car? This country is founded on capitalism, not communism.

Oh yeah, almost forgot about unions, attorneys, plastic surgeons and athletes.

If you don't like the price, don't buy it and don't bitch about it because you can't afford it. The dealer has to pay for his wife's plastic surgeon, braces for the kids and their college education.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:31 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteinplano
Where in the "rules" does it say the maximum price a dealer can ask for a car? This country is founded on capitalism, not communism.

Oh yeah, almost forgot about unions, attorneys, plastic surgeons and athletes.

If you don't like the price, don't buy it and don't bitch about it because you can't afford it. The dealer has to pay for his wife's plastic surgeon, braces for the kids and their college education.
Or find an honest dealer. They are out there. Sometimes ya gotta kiss a few toads to find Prince Charming.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] $300,000 Zr1 ?!?