Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 4.10 gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:51 AM
RedGTS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be interested to know if anyone who has 4.10's has actually done a before and after comparison with the stock gears in terms of track times or something objective. I'm assuming 0-60 would be a little higher than stock because you would have to shift, but presumably the car should be quicker through the 1/4.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:24 AM
8mywal8
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend has 4:10 in his C5 Z. Gas milage is not to bad. The easyest way to tell you how the car is on the freeway is just drive in 5th. Its almost the same gearing. With a big cam it makes the car way more friendly around town. As for the aluminum flywheel you may get some idel surge.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:05 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by RedGTS
I'd be interested to know if anyone who has 4.10's has actually done a before and after comparison with the stock gears in terms of track times or something objective. I'm assuming 0-60 would be a little higher than stock because you would have to shift, but presumably the car should be quicker through the 1/4.
Yeah me too, I'd like to know how acceleration times are effected. I would suppose that it would depend on the standard of measurement: i.e.; 0-40 would be faster, but 0-60 might be slower, 0-80 might be faster, etc..etc..Could somebody post the maximum acheivable speeds in each gear at redline? Thanks.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:06 PM
EFE Z06
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bcmarly
Yeah me too, I'd like to know how acceleration times are effected. I would suppose that it would depend on the standard of measurement: i.e.; 0-40 would be faster, but 0-60 might be slower, 0-80 might be faster, etc..etc..Could somebody post the maximum acheivable speeds in each gear at redline? Thanks.
From 0 to top speed will be faster with a lower geared rear end, every gear pulls harder and reaches it's limit quicker, that's the facts of going to lower gears!

I'm sure everybody understands this principle. When you race somebody from a roll, the advantage is to be at an rpm range where your engine is at maximum torque(approx 4k), that way you'll accelerate faster when you hit the throttle. If you are in any gear and only turning 2k when you hit the throttle, you'll accelerate slower until you hit the best torque range, but your opponent will probably be ahead by that time. Having a lower gear ratio gives you a better torque range in every gear, and even if you start at too low of an rpm, your engine will gain rpm faster because the differential is easier to turn.

To make it simple, which accelerates faster, taking off in first gear or second gear? I know that's a silly question, but that's the exact same principle! Having a lower final gear ratio is the same as normally down shifting to gain more torque, when you down shift to a lower gear to accelerate faster, you are feeling what a lower gear does for torque, and so it's the same with all six gears when the final gear ratio is changed. But don't let anybody tell you gas mileage doesn't change, it absolutely does! Thus the reason why Chevy installed an overdrive sixth gear to post 26 mpg in the Z06. Had they made it a close ratio gear (to fifth) and not overdrive, mpg would probably be 3 to 4 mpg less!

EFE Z06
Old 04-08-2008, 03:19 PM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have them and love them. and i have the same gearing as a Z06. 5th gear will still pull 180 mph for me. acceleration has changed so much. milage is MAYBE 0.5 different as im on the highway ALOT and i drive 85-90. so it revs.

use this to help

http://golenengineservice.com/calc/calcrpm.htm
Old 04-08-2008, 07:46 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks
Old 04-08-2008, 09:23 PM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RedGTS
Originally Posted by bcmarly
i don't have any data on the C6Z with 4.10's and would also be interested in seeing test results. But, have done some before/after testing with other cars and seen from .2 to .3 improvement in E.T. (on stock rubber). Much of this gain comes from improved acceleration in 1st gear due to the additional torque multiplication.

However, in order to really get the full benefit of 4.10's, you've got to be able to use full power all the way through 1st gear and also launch hard. On a C6Z, this will easily overwhelm the stock Goodyear EMT's. So, if you want to realize the full potential of this mod, you'll need to invest in a set up drag radials.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:13 AM
vtecnitian
Instructor

Originally Posted by EFE Z06
Anybody that has ever drag raced knows lower gears help acceleration and ET. The basic benefits are more torque in any gear and faster acceleration.

The negatives are lower gas mileage, more shifting and higher engine rpm all the time. It's a give and take proposition, you gain quicker acceleration and better torque but you give up gas mileage and low rpm cruising.

Another option to think about. If you keep your stock gearing and add a lightweight aluminum flywheel and lighter clutch assembly, you'll not only gain quicker acceleration but may even increase your gas mileage and have better torque at cruising speeds with your higher gears.

In my racing days I made every change you can think of (in my drivetrain) and could instantly tell which changes I liked the most. No matter what gears I ran (street - 370's or track - 456's), when I installed an aluminum flywheel and clutch, it added better acceleration because the engine was able to reach it's redline much faster! I'd like to hear from anyone that has tried this mod? If I keep my Z06 long enough to need a new clutch, you can bet an aluminum flywheel will be installed along with a lighter high performance pressure plate. It's amazing what 20 pounds less will do on a flywheel, not to forget the awesome sound of instant revs from the engine !

EFE Z06
i heard for every pound you eliminate from flywheel is like taking off 10 lb of you car is that correct?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:32 AM
EFE Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by vtecnitian
i heard for every pound you eliminate from flywheel is like taking off 10 lb of you car is that correct?
I don't know who figured that number, but I'm sure the equation changes depending on the engine size and HP. For sure, every engine benefits when accelerating from a low rpm with an aluminum flywheel.

A heavy flywheel can be an advantage for a small engines in drag racing where the weight of the flywheel is used to build up extra torque off the line, but the engine needs to keep the rpm at redline through the entire run. If the rpm drops too much, a smaller engine doesn't have a lot of torque to gain it back.

In street and road course driving where the engine is constantly slowing down and speeding up, an aluminum flywheel makes a gigantic difference! The Porsche CGT uses a small light flywheel and multi-plate clutch, listen to it in the following link, the sound is awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkLjCYjqGDU

EFE Z06

Last edited by EFE Z06; 04-09-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 AM
vtecnitian
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Hey Guys..... Actually...There are NO cons....

Of all the possible CONS one could dream up.....There is no comparison when compared to other mods....

The "shifting too much" CON was manufactured by people who have never driven 4.10's....The loss of fuel mileage was also invented by those that have never driven them and who know nothing about how this "load based" computer works......and believe it or not.....Wheelspin is also reduced.

Driving a "Z" with 4.10's is about as exciting as it gets... AND, when you're tired of ripping and roaring....you just back off the gas and the car practically returns to stock before your eyes.....
That's the beauty of a 4.10 rear end. When looking at this forum and others.....REMEMBER ONE THING:

ANYONE WHO SAYS 4.10's AREN'T RIGHT FOR YOU....HAS NEVER OWNED THEM AND HAS NEVER DRIVEN THEM.

Rather than get into yet ANOTHER 4.10 argument on the forum, I would encourage anyone with questions to call me directly at 914-332-0049.

KING OF GEARS!
Chuck CoW
i have stock 4.10's on my s2000 and they are not fun all the time maybe when i go to my 4.44 they will be.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:50 AM
SG333
Racer

Default Re

Is this gear set made for the C6 Z06 dif? or is this a modified C6 dif with 4.10 gears.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:07 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by EFE Z06
I don't know who figured that number, but I'm sure the equation changes depending on the engine size and HP. For sure, every engine benefits when accelerating from a low rpm with an aluminum flywheel.

A heavy flywheel can be an advantage for a small engines in drag racing where the weight of the flywheel is used to build up extra torque off the line, but the engine needs to keep the rpm at redline through the entire run. If the rpm drops too much, a smaller engine doesn't have a lot of torque to gain it back.

In street and road course driving where the engine is constantly slowing down and speeding up, an aluminum flywheel makes a gigantic difference! The Porsche CGT uses a small light flywheel and multi-plate clutch, listen to it in the following link, the sound is awesome!

EFE Z06

very nice write-up on the difference of flywheels. When I got into RR I really started to research flywheels and ended up with the aluminum because of the quick reving capability which makes rev matching much easier.

Now just like flywheels gears will depend on driving styles. I started out with 4.10 gears because I was into 1/4 mile racing and street driving. Perfect combination assuming you keep the HP in check (I had 460rwhp). When I move from 1/4 mile to RR the 4.10s required way too many shifts on the track and I dropped down to 3.73s.

Now I changed to the LS7 engine with 565rwhp and I am still on the fence with the 3.73s. Last weekend at pocono I was easily in the 140 range on the North course. I wanted to go faster, but it would require another shift up and then a quick downshift. Since it was the first day on the track I elected to skip the shift and just live with it. Now this is not my main course so when I go to WGI in 3 weeks if I have the same problem I will drop to 3.42s.

So in the end it is all dependent on driving style.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:16 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vtecnitian
I beleive it has to do with unsprung weight. Losing a pound in unsprung weight is the equivalence of losing 10 pounds in sprung weight.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:34 PM
clogan
Burning Brakes

I put 4.10 gears in a Cobra I used to have, and the mpg actually increased!

Hard to believe, but true. Only disadvantage I recall is having to shift out of first so quickly. After that, it's no big deal.

CL
Old 04-09-2008, 06:29 PM
novaz06
Pro

To put it into perspective, with 4.10s first gear would only be good for about 52mph and second would be good for about 77. While this is significantly lower than stock, it is still easily more than 95% of cars on the road, and you still have four gears left. What's the theoretical top speed with the stock gears? Over 300 right? So there is PLENTY of room to go to a lower rear end. The Z with stock gears is like an old time four speed with two extra gears tacked on.

Last edited by novaz06; 04-09-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:45 PM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

for anyone else curious about what RPM at any speed in any gear, this is a great calculator. just know your info

http://www.f-body.org/gears/
Old 04-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Congaman
Pro

Very interesting thread. As I'm not to happy with the stock gearing I'm thinking of going 4.10. But will will the change affect the top speed? If so; By how much?

Sorry, I'm a newbie at this and a speed addict.

Get notified of new replies

To 4.10 gears

Old 04-11-2008, 07:54 PM
NEVERL8
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 120 Posts

Someone PLEASE make a 4:10 or 3:90 ring and pinion set for the Z. There are pleny of us out there lurking, waiting, and hoping this will happen.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:51 PM
novaz06
Pro

There is a guy on here, bandit0220 I think, who runs 4.56s and loves them. He has gone to a solid axle, though.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:12 PM
EFE Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by novaz06
There is a guy on here, bandit0220 I think, who runs 4.56s and loves them. He has gone to a solid axle, though.
That means his car is good for nothing but drag racing, to each his own.

EFE Z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] 4.10 gears