Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Is Pinging Possible On A Brand New 08 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettesmith02
When I toured the factory they were using BP Ultimate.

Time to take it to a tuner or to your dealer.
Since the car came to me this way and did this noise with 4 miles on the ODO I feel it should be covered by warranty but I don't want the dealer to screw up the car. It's a catch 22. What would you do if this was your car. I don't really want to drive the car until It's fixed(pinging can't be any good during break in) and I finish the break in. This really sucks!
Old 03-23-2008, 08:03 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suggestion: There's lots of places in SoCal which sell 100 octane. Try putting about 5-6 gallons of it in with your next full fill up, mixing it with 91. If you still hear the noise, you'll know for sure it's not the gas, and it most likely isn't even pinging, unless something is really wrong with the motor or the ECM--at it's hard to imagine what that might be.

Here's a link to some places with 100 octane at the pump in California.

http://personal.linkline.com/dbarton..._in_SoCal.html
Old 03-23-2008, 08:11 PM
jgaches
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be my suggestion as well. It may be easier to buy two gallons of Xynene from Home Depot or Sherwin Williams if you can't find 100 at the pump. The Xylene is about 117 octane. 2 gallons of that with 87 (assuming worst case) will get you roughly 90 octane.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:14 PM
jgaches
Pro

Originally Posted by JDRacing
Suggestion: There's lots of places in SoCal which sell 100 octane. Try putting about 5-6 gallons of it in with your next full fill up, mixing it with 91. If you still hear the noise, you'll know for sure it's not the gas, and it most likely isn't even pinging, unless something is really wrong with the motor or the ECM--at it's hard to imagine what that might be.

Here's a link to some places with 100 octane at the pump in California.

http://personal.linkline.com/dbarton..._in_SoCal.html
Not to hijack the thread but great link. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the idea of mixing 100 with 91 but I don't want to go that route here's why: Lets say this does not fix it I just added a band-aid to the problem. I know from experience the dealer won't fix a problem if you can't replicate the problem at the time of service. This leads me either take it to Charlie at RPM and see if he can notice anything strange or wrong without changing anything so I can take it to the dealer and bitch like hell about it.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:04 AM
jgaches
Pro

We are not suggesting a band-aid, we are just suggesting a few ways to make absolutely sure it's a ping you're hearing. If your sure it's pinging, then your right.....it would be a waste of money/time.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:09 AM
Torched
Melting Slicks

The problem is it sounds like pinging but not 100% sure either. I have been trying to find the answer and this is a real tough one to pin down. I do know other members have reported a rattle or popcorn noise coming from the sump tank either in the baffles or a screen that has popped loose inside the tank.Looks like a trip to the dealer after all since I can't nail this one.I'm pissed at GM I guess this slipped right through the QC process.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:17 AM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Hopefully I can get some tuners input on this one.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Tuners ideas please? Stumped on this one.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:52 PM
fiveodude
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you read the plugs and look for signs of detonation?
Old 03-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

I'm taking the Z to GM service tomorrow for this ongoing problem. Hope it works out. I'll post back when I hear anything from the dealer.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Torched
I'm taking the Z to GM service tomorrow for this ongoing problem. Hope it works out. I'll post back when I hear anything from the dealer.
Very curious to see what they say......

DH
Old 03-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Dropped off the Z today. Took the tech who will be working on the car for a ride so he can hear the noise. He said the noise is NOT pinging. Maybe it's the sump. I'll post back when I hear more. Greg
Old 03-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Dropped off the Z today. Took the tech who will be working on the car for a ride so he can hear the noise. He said the noise is NOT pinging. Maybe it's the sump. I'll post back when I hear more. Greg
I think its good that its something else.......

DH
Old 03-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I think its good that its something else.......

DH
Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Daylon
Pro

Greg, Iam about to pm you with a phone number. Daylon
Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Daylon
Greg, Iam about to pm you with a phone number. Daylon
Daylon thanks very much. Greg

Get notified of new replies

To Is Pinging Possible On A Brand New 08 Z06?

Old 04-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

So is there an update on your car ??????

DH
Old 07-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Default Resolved Finally Here Is The Follow Up!

Even though GM gave me a replacement brand new 08 Z06 with the same options what GM called"An exchange of collateral" I was finally notified today by the dealer what was indeed wrong with the "Lemon" car. I'm posting this information to help fellow forum members get to the root of the problem and avoid all the HELL that I went through initially. First off when the car was brought into GM service there there were 2 very distinct and different sounds. The first sound was a loud knocking coming from the passenger side under the hood which could be heard while driving at cruising speed. FIX: Sump tank had failed(Screen popped loose inside the tank) which lead to the horrible clatter being created. The second sound resembled an engine that was pinging or also called a metallic popcorn sound. The sound could be created about 3000 RPM all the way to WOT. FIX: A transmission cooler line was contacting the body at different RPM'S. There is a cover which must be removed to inspect the lines. Please note: it was clear to see on the body the excessive wear caused by the contacting line. I'm hoping a moderator will put a sticky on this post as I have read many times on here forum members complaining about all sorts of strange noises. I hope I help someone else get their Z06 fixed right the first time and make the Corvette "The Best Vette Yet!". Greg

Last edited by Torched; 07-07-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Even though GM gave me a replacement brand new 08 Z06 with the same options what GM called"An exchange of collateral" I was finally notified today by the dealer what was indeed wrong with the "Lemon" car. I'm posting this information to help fellow forum members get to the root of the problem and avoid all the HELL that I went through initially. First off when the car was brought into GM service there there were 2 very distinct and different sounds. The first sound was a loud knocking coming from the passenger side under the hood which could be heard while driving at cruising speed. FIX: Sump tank had failed(Screen popped loose inside the tank) which lead to the horrible clatter being created. The second sound resembled an engine that was pinging or also called a metallic popcorn sound. The sound could be created about 3000 RPM all the way to WOT. FIX: A transmission cooler line was contacting the body at different RPM'S. There is a cover which must be removed to inspect the lines. Please note: it was clear to see on the body the excessive wear caused by the contacting line. I'm hoping a moderator will put a sticky on this post as I have read many times on here forum members complaining about all sorts of strange noises. I hope I help someone else get their Z06 fixed right the first time and make the Corvette "The Best Vette Yet!". Greg
And now you know what a Z06 without bad sump sounds like .....

DH

Quick Reply: [Z06] Is Pinging Possible On A Brand New 08 Z06?