Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Interesting Zr-1 Information

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 04:47 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
So you think Kerbeck and Stanford are going to be selling ZR-1's at MSRP?

Hmmm, well let's hear that from their reps here on the chat line. What say you? MSRP?

Something tells me ...NOT!!!
Coincidentally, Stanford is one of the three dealers I am on the "list" to buy a ZR-1 from and was one of two requiring a deposit of $5,000. One of the three dealers promised to get back to me either tomorrow or Monday to tell me what they will ask for their ZR-1. I am told they are "clearing" their list to see who is for real.I told them if they really want to know who is for real, somebody needs to be tell me what they expect me to pay. If too much, I will be removed and if reasonable, I will stay. Let's see what happens. Best
Old 04-24-2008, 04:55 PM
32valves
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
Exactly. This would just open up the gates for the people who get on the list early for msrp and then buy 2 or 3 for resale.

There's just no way. GM can ASK the dealers but they can't DEMAND or COERCE the dealers in any way.
actually there are alot of ways.....it really just depends on how serious GM is about this. Believe me, GM has PLENTY of leverage it can apply to it's dealers. However, I doubt GM is going to care all that much about the cars being marked up.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:13 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not see how GM would not view one of their cars with a huge mark up as a badge of honor and wear it proudly. The more the mark up, the more publicity the car will get. Why the hell would GM not want to see a mark up?
Old 04-24-2008, 08:39 PM
xilr8n
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If GM wants to see them sold at MSRP all they have to do is wait until they have all the parts and then make nothing but ZR1's for 2 weeks and deliver them all at the same time.

If every dealer has their allotment at the same time market adjustments won't last over a month.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:07 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GN1270
I do not see how GM would not view one of their cars with a huge mark up as a badge of honor and wear it proudly. The more the mark up, the more publicity the car will get. Why the hell would GM not want to see a mark up?
I agree with this too. PERCEPTION is half the value of a car. There are many cars that are perceived as "the best" or even "beautiful" just because they are expensive. There are a LOT of ugly *** Lexus and MB cars that are still considered beautiful because they carry the name that is associated with money.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:11 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by xilr8n
If GM wants to see them sold at MSRP all they have to do is wait until they have all the parts and then make nothing but ZR1's for 2 weeks and deliver them all at the same time.

If every dealer has their allotment at the same time market adjustments won't last over a month.
Another excellent point. I had thought about this when the Z06 was introduced. It would have helped them clear a lot of base model inventory while they were on hold, and not lost so many Z06 sales to those who bought Porsches or Vipers who were not willing to either wait or pay through the nose.

They build approximately 175 cars per day. That would only mean halting production of the base cars for 12 days to make the entire year's supply of ZR1's. Plus, they could continue to build any custom order base cars for those that are already purchased. This might stretch the halt on base cars out to about 3 or 4 weeks and really reduce the dealer inventory at the end of the model year when they really need to do so.

Last edited by robvuk; 04-24-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:34 AM
RFC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xilr8n

So I guess we would have to wait until the end of the 2009 model year to see car 1.

Gm could also charge much more for the car to reflect there increased costs of carrying inventory and WIP.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:21 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
So you think Kerbeck and Stanford are going to be selling ZR-1's at MSRP?

Hmmm, well let's hear that from their reps here on the chat line. What say you? MSRP?

Something tells me ...NOT!!!

Let's see if our "customer friendly" dealers will sell at MSRP?
Old 04-27-2008, 01:00 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 89L98
Not mentioning a dealer by name because if they are as I hope they are, I do not want them bombarded. I should hear shortly and will share information (basically to confirm if MSRP or close to it will actually happen anywhere). They called me to see if I am serious (they know I could afford it and I have bought cars from them before)and I said absolutely for MSRP, but after that I need to know what they want in order to make a decision. The ball is in their court. Best
Old 04-27-2008, 01:42 PM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RBK

Not mentioning a dealer by name because if they are as I hope they are, I do not want them bombarded. I should hear shortly and will share information (basically to confirm if MSRP or close to it will actually happen anywhere). They called me to see if I am serious (they know I could afford it and I have bought cars from them before)and I said absolutely for MSRP, but after that I need to know what they want in order to make a decision. The ball is in their court. Best
Wow, good luck!

I thought you took yourself out of the ZR1 market? I guess you really HAVE been wrestling with this decision.

What was it that made you decide to go for it, if I may ask?

Sorry for the off-topic.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
With only 300 North America dealers getting allotments-GM will have some control.Those that get a Zr-1,nothing can stop them from reselling them at a profit.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:44 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2KZ28CAM
Wow, good luck!

I thought you took yourself out of the ZR1 market? I guess you really HAVE been wrestling with this decision.

What was it that made you decide to go for it, if I may ask?

Sorry for the off-topic.
Since supercharging my Z-06 (565rwhp) I am having a (very) good time. However, I keep thinking the ZR-1 is a complete package with suspension,ceramic brakes, etc., and if I could sell my car for enough, the cost difference (at MSRP) would not mean all that much to me. However, I am doubtful I or anyone else will see a ZR-1 at or close to MSRP this first go around. Best
Old 04-27-2008, 07:30 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

Can't see this happening for all of the reasons stated above. Plus it isn't necessary. We (the market) bring this on ourselves. If we'd refuse to pay it, it would vanish overnight. I didn't pay a markup on my Z06, I will not pay one on my ZR1. Paying over sticker is merely a sign of impaitence and poor money management.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:35 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ANTIVNOM
Paying over sticker is merely a sign of impaitence and poor money management.
Or the ability to pay.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:55 PM
allegretto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robvuk
Or the ability to pay.
I believe we have a winner here, folks!
Old 04-27-2008, 11:57 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I think the government can solve this situation. Lets petition Congress to pass a "No Market Adjustment" law and Bush can sign that in to law just like the 35mpg CAFE rating that will kill the ZR1 a few years into production......
Old 04-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Pruettfan
Racer

Even if GM did keep the dealers from charging over MSRP that would just allow customers to buy low and sell high. The principles of economics will always rule. There will be less ZR1's then folks that want them. If I am willing to drop 100k on a car an extra 20k is not a big deal, especially if I am crazy about the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting Zr-1 Information

Old 04-28-2008, 12:55 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
I think the government can solve this situation. Lets petition Congress to pass a "No Market Adjustment" law and Bush can sign that in to law just like the 35mpg CAFE rating that will kill the ZR1 a few years into production......
Good call. Also - the government could just take our money (call it 'tax') and spend it for us! We could all live in 'shelters' and use 'stamps' to get our food. Nobody would have any more money than another and independent thought would be abolished!
Old 04-28-2008, 02:12 AM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RBK
Since supercharging my Z-06 (565rwhp) I am having a (very) good time. However, I keep thinking the ZR-1 is a complete package with suspension,ceramic brakes, etc., and if I could sell my car for enough, the cost difference (at MSRP) would not mean all that much to me. However, I am doubtful I or anyone else will see a ZR-1 at or close to MSRP this first go around. Best
If this occurs, you are the most-shrewd and patient buyer, indeed. Major respect thrown your way. I wish you well, Sir.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:30 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Good call. Also - the government could just take our money (call it 'tax') and spend it for us! We could all live in 'shelters' and use 'stamps' to get our food. Nobody would have any more money than another and independent thought would be abolished!
I still have some ration "stamps" left over from WWII that I didn't use. Would be nice if I could use them now.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Interesting Zr-1 Information