Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Ride of a Lifetime

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:12 PM
vette67
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ride of a Lifetime

I had the extreme pleasure of getting a ride in the ZR-1 with Tadge at the wheel at the C5/C6 Bash. And this was no leisure trip around the NCM at low speeds. I didn't know that the perimeter road around the Assembly Plant was also a sometime test track but soon found that high speeds were possible with no traffic around. In case that someone above Tadge's pay grade is monitoring this site, we did observe all posted limits and safety rules. If they aren't, then the ride was a total blast. First impression, man what brakes! The go and whoa on this car are unbelievable. Supercharger whine is almost a non-factor. When you do hear it, it is unobtrusive. The ride is much more docile than the Z0-6 and the whole car is quite smooth at the low speeds. But when the loud pedal is punched, a whole new world arrives. I have seen some disparaging comments already about the look of the car but until you see it in person, reserve your criticism. It has a whole new stance and is gorgeous in the yellow. All hail the Yellow Devil. Enough already, I love the car and I am halfway there as my wife does too. Team Corvette has done a world class job on this car. Kudos, kudos, kudos.
Paul
Old 04-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 617 Likes on 230 Posts

cool
Old 04-29-2008, 07:46 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

So it was you that won the auction?

Congratulations. You're the first "civilian" to be in the car in motion.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:00 PM
vette67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by talon90

And the added attraction was getting Tadge's cap that he had worn during the Barett-Jackson auction of the first ZR-1. He autographed it with the notation that this was the first ride by a "civilian". It was a kick.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:20 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by vette67
And the added attraction was getting Tadge's cap that he had worn during the Barett-Jackson auction of the first ZR-1. He autographed it with the notation that this was the first ride by a "civilian". It was a kick.
I bet it was. Very nice.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:33 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for posting.

I saw it at the Chicago Auto Show and it looks great in person. It's a very awesome car.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:45 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You're gonna have to buy one now.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:13 PM
droq172
Pro

Sorry to burst your bubble but: That's not completely true. Janet Curran with Spring Mountain rode in the car earlier in the month. Congrats on the ride any how!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...errerid=228441

I assume it was the blue ZR1 that you got your ride in?

Last edited by droq172; 04-29-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:09 PM
vette67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by droq172
Sorry to burst your bubble but: That's not completely true. Janet Curran with Spring Mountain rode in the car earlier in the month. Congrats on the ride any how!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...errerid=228441

I assume it was the blue ZR1 that you got your ride in?
Nope, it was the yellow one. They said the blue one was speed limited and used as a show car. That's all I know.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:36 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 452 Posts

hey i think its the yellow car i posted in the ZR1 forum, check out the thread about the wallpaper i requested! I saw a pic of u and your son? is that you? If so, ur a lucky man!
Old 04-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Silver99v6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Must have been nice! Just sitting in it was thrill enough for me.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:12 PM
vette67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by keagan
hey i think its the yellow car i posted in the ZR1 forum, check out the thread about the wallpaper i requested! I saw a pic of u and your son? is that you? If so, ur a lucky man!
The person is that picture is much too young to be me.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:57 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Wish it was me! Congrats! Hope I can get one someday!
Old 05-05-2008, 01:46 AM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

Fantastic! More details/impressions, please!?
Old 05-05-2008, 01:10 PM
JThomas
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Congrats Paul! I saw you and Tadge return to the museum after the ride. I was in the delivery bay. You seemed to be very excited.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:39 PM
vette67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JThomas
Congrats Paul! I saw you and Tadge return to the museum after the ride. I was in the delivery bay. You seemed to be very excited.
Uh,yeah. Now that I have had time to collect my thoughts and return to the real world, I will attempt to answer 2KZ28CAMs request for more info and impressions and attempt to give some amateurish insight into the ZR-1. The seats seem to be more comfortable with better support than the standard seats. If they happen to be the same, then I just got faked out. The thing that is truly amazing is the brakes. They stop the car right now and according to Tadge, they can do that all day without any fade. Truly amazing stopping power. Overall, the ZR-1 is more refined than the Z0-6 in that it sounds quieter, rides smoother, and interior noise is less. An amazing job by the Corvette team. I would really like to know more about the shape of the spoiler as it is quite different from any I have seen before. Must have been lots of wind tunnel time to come up with that configuration. What can you say about the engine? With 638hp there is all the "right now" power you can want. I had a 50th AE Corvette with the magnetic shock system and I thought the ride was very smooth but the rear would tend to step out when cornering with some ripple in the road. Did not notice that taking place with the ZR-1. Could be the road was too smooth to cause that to happen. I understand the software algorithm has been greatly modified from the earlier system. An amazing car with good low speed manners and all the performance most of us can ever use, and live. Beg, borrow, steal, or kill to get one of these Corvettes.
Paul
Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 AM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

Uh,yeah. Now that I have had time to collect my thoughts and return to the real world, I will attempt to answer 2KZ28CAMs request for more info and impressions and attempt to give some amateurish insight into the ZR-1. The seats seem to be more comfortable with better support than the standard seats. If they happen to be the same, then I just got faked out. The thing that is truly amazing is the brakes. They stop the car right now and according to Tadge, they can do that all day without any fade. Truly amazing stopping power. Overall, the ZR-1 is more refined than the Z0-6 in that it sounds quieter, rides smoother, and interior noise is less. An amazing job by the Corvette team. I would really like to know more about the shape of the spoiler as it is quite different from any I have seen before. Must have been lots of wind tunnel time to come up with that configuration. What can you say about the engine? With 638hp there is all the "right now" power you can want. I had a 50th AE Corvette with the magnetic shock system and I thought the ride was very smooth but the rear would tend to step out when cornering with some ripple in the road. Did not notice that taking place with the ZR-1. Could be the road was too smooth to cause that to happen. I understand the software algorithm has been greatly modified from the earlier system. An amazing car with good low speed manners and all the performance most of us can ever use, and live. Beg, borrow, steal, or kill to get one of these Corvettes.
Paul
Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Ride of a Lifetime

Old 06-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Spendalot
Heel & Toe

Super....
Old 06-02-2008, 11:45 PM
danl72
Race Director