Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Huffines Chevy- A Case of Greed

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:50 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Lag
First, I am saying that no car made by GM in the last 15 years is worth MSRP. I have purchased nearly $160K in CRAP from GM in the last 4 years, and have vowed to never buy crap from GM again, well except for another Z06, but it is still GM.

Second, that it is enthusiast (read, corvette forum members) who mostly keep these jerks alive during the market downturns, and this is the response of these jerks to their niche market group. Look at the current discounts available on Z06's. I have seen supporting vendors giving, or advertising $11,500 off for 2008 Z06's!

I am saying make money, but do not show us the low-life crap that they are by doing these kinds of things to their past customers. The guy whom enetered the agreement with them has bought cars from this dealer in the past, and this is how he is treated.

Lastly, GM stalwart buyers in the past such as I, are turing to Lexus, Infinity, and Acura for their cars instead of Hummer, Cadillac, etc. This is the folly of GM and its dealer network, alienating its customer base.
I better understand your point(s) and empathize. In context is seems rationale to hope that a "core" based of buyers might be respected, if for no other reason, loyalty over the long haul. Unfortunately, as we have seen when dealing with Asia, whether it be a war, i.e. Viet Nam or car sales, i.e. Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc., we are short term thinkers who often pay the price when competing with those who look at a different clock. Best
Old 05-07-2008, 03:58 PM
YLWFVR75
Le Mans Master

Received 193 Likes on 94 Posts
SE Michigan Coordinator
CI 3, 4, 5, 6, 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11,-'13-'14-'15
NCM Sinkhole Donor

We'll make sure to add their email address to some gay **** email distribution lists!
Old 05-07-2008, 04:04 PM
pianoprodigy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Charlie M
Did you get anything in writing or email? Take them to court and force them to sell it to you at MSRP.
I take it you're not a lawyer
Old 05-07-2008, 09:26 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by pianoprodigy
I take it you're not a lawyer
What's that mean? ... if the OP did get something in writing then it could be used as a binding agreement. Some courts even uphold verbal agreements, so anything in writing is a plus IMO.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:35 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 412 Posts

I believe the irony of this thread, notwithstanding my empathy for anyone decieved, is the ZR-1 will be sold to a very few people at the prices we hear about and in this economy and like what has happened to the Z-06 in 2 years (you can buy one for $10,000 under MSRP), this entire issue will go away very quickly. Dealers will be looking for buyers and then it will be your turn. Best
Old 05-07-2008, 09:41 PM
pianoprodigy
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
What's that mean? ... if the OP did get something in writing then it could be used as a binding agreement. Some courts even uphold verbal agreements, so anything in writing is a plus IMO.
Look up "consideration" and get back to me.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:13 AM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Look up "consideration" and get back to me.
I believe that what you are saying is that without a binding written contract, only the lawyers will come out ahead.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:15 AM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jcortney
Well, some of you folks told me it would happen, I just didn't want to believe you. As it turns out, Huffines Chevy in Plano showed their true colors. Just under a year ago I met with the Sales Manager and General Manager and started the ZR-1 list. They assured me at that time, and for many months thereafter that they would sell me the car at MSRP. Their montra was that "Mr. Huffines Policy is to never sell a car over MSRP. Well, about two weeks ago the proved what that policy was worth.

Not only are they not going sell me the car at MSRP, they are not going to sell me the car at all. In a meeting with the GM (John Joast) I was told, "Sorry, but we've decided to tear up the list and we are going to sell our cars on Ebay". When I asked "what happened to our deal, your assertion that Ray Huffines policy was to never sell over MSRP and your assurances that this wouldn't happen," he answered "we've made a business decision and I don't car what Ray Huffines policy is, I run this dealership".

Now, understand I'm not just a guy off the street to these folks. I've bought 2 Vetts from them and 2 Jeeps from their Jeep dealership over the last three years and referred a bunch of customers that bought. As late as March, they were assuring me that the car was mine and my sales guy Scott Grahek (who is a great guy and this had something to do with him and a lot of others leaving the dealership) were making plans for the May order.

A year ago I could have gotten on any number of lists for the car. But these guys were adamant. THE CAR IS YOURS AND AT MSRP. So, to make a long and painful story short, I got screwed and they are going to loose my business and anyone I can influence for a profit on two cars. I hope that they will find that this wasn't a good "business decision".

If you car to voice your amazement please do so at the following contact numbers:

ray.huffines@huffines.net

Ray huffines fax number 972-538-7001 Most effective means of contact.

Thanks guys for your support and think twice before you want to deal with this group of dealerships.
You screwed up. You trusted them.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:21 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET
You screwed up. You trusted them.
Hopefully Joe will get back to us on this.

He sent me an email yesterday saying the GM called and said he had made a big mistake. He was supposed to meet with them yesterday afternoon.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:50 PM
pianoprodigy
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET
I believe that what you are saying is that without a binding written contract, only the lawyers will come out ahead.
Ha, as one of the earlier posters alleged, a contract need not be in writing (so long as it satisfies that state's Statute of Frauds provision); however, consideration (or a consideration substitute) must be present. From the facts we have, whether the above-mentioned deal were in writing or not, a judge would most likely rule that there would be no binding agreement between the parties due to lack of consideration (or a substitute). I could have my law clerk write a more detailed memorandum on the topic, but he just took his Contracts II final exam on Monday night, so I think he's quickly trying to forget the topic.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:05 PM
57belvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Nevada, a verbal agreement can be fought in court. I don't know about Texas, but here you could go to court and sue. And probably win!
Old 05-08-2008, 02:29 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Unless you have a signed agreement, forget about court.

Next, I happen to be another, previous, Huffunes (Plano) customer.

I not only sent a fax, but visited the dealership last Tuesday.

They are aware of this thread - I made sure to leave the link!
Old 05-08-2008, 07:10 PM
yankintx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ Paintball
What you are really asking of them is a gift of about $50,000-$75,000. All the cars you ever purchased from them could not match the profit they will UNDOUBTEDLY get for their ZR-1. Can't say that I blame them.

For you other guys expecting a MSRP deal: Take a breath and ask yourself if you really think you are that good a customer, that good a friend, or the dealership has that much money that they can't use an extra $50K. It would be rare indeed for someone to sell anything WAY BELOW market value because they wanted YOU to have it. Not going to happen.

If you were a dealer, wouldn't you sell it for what you could get for it? I sure would.....but....as a customer, you should have gotten a written contract that you could hold them to. Handshakes are worth nothing in business.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:32 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Ha, as one of the earlier posters alleged, a contract need not be in writing (so long as it satisfies that state's Statute of Frauds provision); however, consideration (or a consideration substitute) must be present. From the facts we have, whether the above-mentioned deal were in writing or not, a judge would most likely rule that there would be no binding agreement between the parties due to lack of consideration (or a substitute). I could have my law clerk write a more detailed memorandum on the topic, but he just took his Contracts II final exam on Monday night, so I think he's quickly trying to forget the topic.
Maybe Judge Judy should rule!

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Huffines Chevy- A Case of Greed