Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Stock vs B&B Fusion

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 08:58 PM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock vs B&B Fusion

I did not want to hijiack the other thread on stock exhaust, and have a slightly different question anyway. For those who got the B&B, still have stock exhaust manifolds, and have Mild to Wild:

1. Is there a noticeable difference between B&B & stock? Can you describe the difference in sound between the two?
2. Would you do it again?
3. Anyone have the high-flow cats, X-pipe & stock manifolds with this set-up?

I met a guy the other night who said that he would not get the B&Bs again, as he thought the cost far outweighed the difference, thus the reason I ask.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:17 PM
90sundevil
Melting Slicks

Received 745 Likes on 379 Posts

I have the bullits and they are great. They are loud and there is a drone while at freeway speeds in 6th gear. I love the sound and the way the tips take up rear of the exhaust.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:26 PM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

ttt
Old 06-29-2008, 12:23 AM
N2DEEP
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. very little difference outside the car. Alot louder inside!!!
2. NOPE!
3. not yet

Dont do it...
Old 06-29-2008, 05:05 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SidePipeMusic
I did not want to hijiack the other thread on stock exhaust, and have a slightly different question anyway. For those who got the B&B, still have stock exhaust manifolds, and have Mild to Wild:

1. Is there a noticeable difference between B&B & stock? Can you describe the difference in sound between the two?
2. Would you do it again?
3. Anyone have the high-flow cats, X-pipe & stock manifolds with this set-up?

I met a guy the other night who said that he would not get the B&Bs again, as he thought the cost far outweighed the difference, thus the reason I ask.

Thanks.
I might have met that same guy. He was very unhappy with this setup also. You may want to consider headers and M to W with the stock exhaust.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:33 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I have a 2005 C6 not a Z06, I retrofitted the stock C6Z bi-mode mufflers to my car and made them fully functional including rpm and throttle position opening modes, as well as Full Open and Full Closed modes.

The stock Z06 mufflers were just too quiet sounding for me. With the butterflies closed there was no exhaust volume at all, and with it open it just didnt have enough kick to it. Plenty of drone though when open.

I then swapped the stock Z06 cans for Z06 Fusions and the difference is like night and day.
The B&B's in closed mode are louder than the stock C6Z mufflers in closed mode. With the butterflies open the Fusions are louder than stock Z06 mufflers open. Both setups drone when in Full open mode.

I love the Fusion setup. The tone is great and its plenty loud when in open mode and sounds agressive enough in the closed mode that its good either way. No drone withteh Fusions for me when in closde mode.

Of course I am talking about the 3 inch Z06 system on a 2005 LS2 car which could make a difference, I just wanted to state my opinion on the difference between the stock Z06 mufflers and the Z06 fusion mufflers since I have run both.

Answers to questions above.:
1: Yes
2: Yes
3: Not yet.

Ben
Old 06-29-2008, 08:11 AM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

Thanks, and keep 'em coming. I'm trying to get all of the opinions I can...
Old 06-29-2008, 08:25 AM
back 40
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

There is a huge diff on mine, people think i have a cam in my car, it sounds mean. It's scary to think what it's going to sound like when i do put a cam in it.
1. Deep throaty rumble, really nasty when you nail it.
2. Yes
3. I have high flow cats, coated Dynatech headers.
4. I also had a M/W switch installed on the console which i never use (it's always open ), if you have a wife/ girlfriend, you will need the switch.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:13 AM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

My fusions are definately louder than stock. Virtually the whole system is polished/chromed so it looks really bada$$ from behind. In fact I had my rear sway chromed and am in the process of polishing out the rear aluminium cross member in front of it. BLING!!! The downside is that, valves open or closed, they definately DRONE at 1500 to 2000 RPM, highway cruising speed for some of us. I find this 'feature' very annoying, although the problem seems to have subsided somewhat after about 3k miles. I'm putting in an exoticvette full insulation kit this or next week and I'll post my evalutaion when done. If I can't get this resolved I may have to lose the fusions.

Barney

Last edited by BarneyZ; 06-29-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:22 AM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

Originally Posted by BarneyZ
My fusions ar definately louder than stock. Virtually the whole system is polished/chromed so it looks really bada$$ from behind. In fact I had my rear sway chromed and am in the process of polishing out the rear aluminium cross member in front of it. BLING!!! The downside is that they definately DRONE at 1500 to 2000 RPM, highway cruising speed for some of us. I find this 'feature' very annoying, although the problem seems to have subsided somewhat after about 3k miles. I'm putting in an exoticvette full insulation kit this or next week and I'll post my evalutaion when done. If I can't get this resolved I may have to lose the fusions.

Barney
Wow. It sounds like the drone is pretty bad. Of course, I'd get M2W, and assume you have it as well. Are you saying the drone is nasty even tooling around the city streets of my Dallas Cowboys home? (Not on freeway?)
Old 06-29-2008, 09:44 AM
back 40
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Wow. It sounds like the drone is pretty bad. Of course, I'd get M2W, and assume you have it as well. Are you saying the drone is nasty even tooling around the city streets of my Dallas Cowboys home? (Not on freeway?)
No drone with valves closed, and the only drone i get is in 6th gear 75mph or less (with valves open). I don't feel the need to be in 6th below those speeds anyway, can't tell the diff in milage, as if i cared.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Stinger !!
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the B&B Fusions on my '08 Z...although the quality of sound is much more aggressive than the stock exhaust, I was after appearance more than sound.

These axle back kits are highly polished and the mufflers are mounted much higher. This gives a rear appearance of being hidden, combine this with the fact that the tips are polished 4" diameter and DO NOT have stamped advertising stamped on them and you get a very aggressive look from behind.

As far as drone, this is VERY controlable with a switch...loud when you want and drone free when needed...

My opinion, go for it!

The stock Z exhaust with the valving can be sold here on the forum for about $400...helps to offset the B&B cost..

A couple pic's, and a couple very informative links with pic's:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1980564

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=fusion

Old 06-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

The question is do they drone at any RPM with the valve closed? I use my 6th gear at about 60mph on up.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:57 PM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
The question is do they drone at any RPM with the valve closed? I use my 6th gear at about 60mph on up.
I put the Fusion system on my stock 2007 ZO6 and the drone with the valves open OR closed was loud on the highway. My car has onstar and I use the phone and onstar could not hear what I was saying with the Fusion system on my car on the highway. ( I have the M2W switch also )

I ended up selling my Fusion system and going back to the stock exhaust. If they made a Fusion system that had no drone with the valves closed I would buy it but the current one out now has drone with the valves closed and VERY bad drone with the valves open.

John
Old 06-29-2008, 02:15 PM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

You guys are doing a good job of talking me out of this purchase. It seems that more don't like them, even with the flaps closed than do...
Old 06-29-2008, 03:35 PM
lftmdrm
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default B&B Fusion Z06 Exhaust

Here is my thought on them. Awesome!
I do have to tell you a few things I came across that needed adjusting and modifying.First thing is after they are installed they hang too low,remedy was to cut and shorten the brackets on the Mufflers.Next I also ordered the B&B X-Pipe for I did not want the popping sound when decelerating.Problem with X-Pipe was that the Flanges were extemley thick as the H-Pipe was more thinner and tapered,the passenger side flange had between one eight to one sixtenth clearance to the tunnel so when when you got on it the torqe of the motor would make it hit the the tunnel plate and would sound like the car was falling apart,remedy was the shop had to grind off the portion that hit the tunnel.Next fix was the springs that hold up the X-Pipe,what happened there was that the bracket that tightens the bolt and spring together were rubbing on the the driverside cooling line to the tranny,remedy is to reshape the X-Pipe bracket and use a strong Zip tie on the two cooling lines to keep them out of harms way,one last item was the Vacuum lines connected to the Mufflers,forcing the little rubber hose to the Muffler caused it to split wide open,so I drilled the one a little larger.But went to purchase one at the dealer and wow did I get a rude awakening,had to purchase a portion of the plastic Vacuum line for $35.00.But was worth the fix. Hard wired the switch into the Center Console,with the valves open you will get cabin Drone and closed you get that lower sound but no Drone. If you want to impress the bystanders by all means open them up for it commands attention.
Hope this explains it all. Again i know i made a good choice.
Cheers Don
Old 06-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

You guys are doing a good job of talking me out of this purchase. It seems that more don't like them, even with the flaps closed than do...
If you buy em and don't like em...your gonna lose a BOAT load of money. I would go with headers and the switch. It sounds great with the valves opened or closed and you pickup horsepower and torque. NO DRONE with the valves closed.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock vs B&B Fusion

Old 06-29-2008, 06:59 PM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

ttt
Old 06-29-2008, 07:26 PM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
If you buy em and don't like em...your gonna lose a BOAT load of money. I would go with headers and the switch. It sounds great with the valves opened or closed and you pickup horsepower and torque. NO DRONE with the valves
closed.
with the boat load of money.

If he gets headers he's going to need a tune to get the full benefit of headers, also, he will get a check engine light without a tune.

augydog

Last edited by augydog; 06-29-2008 at 11:17 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Blue by U
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have wondered about this as well. I have headers and off-road x-pipe, but I was wanting a little more sound. Everyone says bullets are too loud. I like the idea of keeping the flaps so you can quiet it down when you are not in the mood for loud. Do they sound better and louder than stock?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Stock vs B&B Fusion