Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Read this if you get a new roof under recall!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 12:05 PM
lowriderfxr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Read this if you get a new roof under recall!

I just got mine back. They did a beautiful job on it.

The only thing I might tell you is to make sure that your dealer has ordered the visor clips for the sun visors. When you install the new roof, you take off the sun visors. The clips that hold the visors on are a one time use item. They cannot be reinstalled. GM knows this but they do not send the new clips with the new top .

I am now waiting two weeks for the clips. I took my car home, of course, but I can't really drive it because the visor might fall down and obstruct my vison while I am driving.

Do yourself a favor and call your body shop rep and make sure he has ordered the visor clips!
Old 07-26-2008, 12:12 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=lowriderfxr;1566460886]I just got mine back. They did a beautiful job on it.

The only thing I might tell you is to make sure that your dealer has ordered the visor clips for the sun visors. When you install the new roof, you take off the sun visors. The clips that hold the visors on are a one time use item. They cannot be reinstalled. GM knows this but they do not send the new clips with the new top .

I am now waiting two weeks for the clips. I took my car home, of course, but I can't really drive it because the visor might fall down and obstruct my vison while I am driving.

Do yourself a favor and call your body shop rep and make sure he has ordered the visor clips![/QUOTE/

Would velcro work as a temporary fix?

Last edited by vegasdude; 07-26-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:30 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Technically (ie. per service manual), it's not a one-use item, but I don't believe it's possible to get them off and back on without breaking them, or at least getting the visor on so it doesn't hang limp when you rotate it to cover the side window. It's just an evil part - used on other GM products, according to the dealer who was ranting to me about it . . .
Old 07-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Scott61
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Roof Recall

The tech that removed my roof and performed the foam fix has a process for removing the clips without damaging them. It worked on my car.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:12 PM
thumperZ06
Great State of Utah
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Default Mine To!

Originally Posted by lowriderfxr
I just got mine back. They did a beautiful job on it.

Do yourself a favor and call your body shop rep and make sure he has ordered the visor clips!
Had the same experience and it took about 2 weeks to get these clips.

ThumperZ06
Old 07-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Technically (ie. per service manual), it's not a one-use item, but I don't believe it's possible to get them off and back on without breaking them, or at least getting the visor on so it doesn't hang limp when you rotate it to cover the side window. It's just an evil part - used on other GM products, according to the dealer who was ranting to me about it . . .
Sounds serious.

All kidding aside, I went through this as well. Fortunately, you warned me about the visor issue before I picked up the car and I was able to get them to fix the visor.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:41 PM
waltershu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott61
The tech that removed my roof and performed the foam fix has a process for removing the clips without damaging them. It worked on my car.
same here.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:47 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

In regards to the clip. If you know how to take them off they won't get damaged.

I know this for sure.

I damaged the first one. On the other clip, I was able to do it perfectly .

You just have to pull down on the visor, very gently pry it out with a flat head tool. If you take the time and apply the right technique it will work fine.

Last edited by 805Z06; 07-28-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:36 PM
HornZ
Advanced

Just had my 07 roof replaced this morning. The paint shop did a great job matching the LMB paint job! The mechanic is a guy that I trust and has been around a long time, and does almost exclusive work on Corvettes at the dealership. He was able to get the drivers side visor out OK but broke the clip on the pass side. They told me that they can't get just the clip, they had to order the whole visor assembly So another trip to the dealer when it comes in. A small price to pay -- I am overjoyed that the top came out so well with no paint issues!!

I wish this post was up a couple of weeks ago when I found out I needed a new roof. But the dealer probably wouldn't have ordered a spare visor "just in case we break one" anyway.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:05 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

The bezel in the prior post can be ordered. But the problem is that if you screw up this part has to be completely reordered (vizor). I think it runs for $250-$350 (if on the drivers side with garage buttons)...

Old 07-29-2008, 02:14 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,427 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I am just wondering why you would have to wait 2 weeks for a part that is in stock in every warehouse in GM's system. They should have it in one day, two at the most. Unless you are in another country the parts for the visors are easily available.

Get notified of new replies

To Read this if you get a new roof under recall!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Read this if you get a new roof under recall!