Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Where are the pullied ZR1s?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 04:48 PM
OnTheDouble
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where are the pullied ZR1s?

I am not a ZR1 owner but I check this forum often to look for numbers when someone cranks up the boost and have yet to see anything. These cars have been out for a little bit now; why hasn't someone developed a high-boost pulley for these things yet? The 03/04 Cobras and GT500s are monsters with an upper or lower blower pulley. I'd expect a ZR1 to lay down somewhere around 700rwhp with a full exhaust / CAI / pulley / tune.
Anyone working on this?
Old 11-10-2008, 06:30 PM
03QuicksilverZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tb34gk6
I am not a ZR1 owner but I check this forum often to look for numbers when someone cranks up the boost and have yet to see anything. These cars have been out for a little bit now; why hasn't someone developed a high-boost pulley for these things yet? The 03/04 Cobras and GT500s are monsters with an upper or lower blower pulley. I'd expect a ZR1 to lay down somewhere around 700rwhp with a full exhaust / CAI / pulley / tune.
Anyone working on this?
Old 11-10-2008, 06:56 PM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Anyone working on this?

I'm suspecting that the new owners are still trying to figure out how to not wrap the car around a pole with the power they already have.

I know my C6Z is a bear to keep planted in the cold weather, so I'm thinking with a similar contact patch, the ZR1 would be a real bear in 40- 50 degree weather.

I know I generally go looking for more power, when what I have starts to bore me.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:16 PM
craftfox
Pro

I suspect people are not wanting to be the GINNIE PIG and try some new deal with these cars yet either.. If i had one, i would tune, exhuast, and tires, my buddies z06 makes 570 and it went 10.65, and my auto makes a little more and goes about the same, so a zr1 with these mods should make over 600 and go PLENTY fast with a stock pulley..
Old 11-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Vindication
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Zippy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 2, 9 & 10 Veteran
St Jude donor '09

Sure hope no one changes their pulley. Why?
I attended a walk around review of the new ZR1 at this year's Z06 Fest at the Museum. Review was conducted by a Corvette engineer that said doing so would most likely destroy the engine.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:54 PM
bgreen83
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vindication

WTF is the hold up
Old 11-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Vindication
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Smallblock427
Sure hope no one changes their pulley. Why?
I attended a walk around review of the new ZR1 at this year's Z06 Fest at the Museum. Review was conducted by a Corvette engineer that said doing so would most likely destroy the engine.
well the engineer certainly is going to encourage pulley swaping.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:08 AM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

I am anxiously awaiting this as well, can't wait to see what kind of power they can make.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:43 PM
emerica4601
Instructor

There is a lot more engineering involved in making a pulley for this 4 screw blower than most people think. However once all the r&d is done, im sure this car will make well over 700rwhp. My guess is around 750rwhp with a pulley, full exhaust, and tune.

All this coming from a mechanical engineer ...
Old 11-11-2008, 10:43 PM
am124es2
Advanced

of course a "GM Engineer" is going to be negative on the subject. I believe the motor can take 775 fwhp safely. Now the key is the right intake, exhaust and tune. Pulley swap is simple but a little more difficult because the newness of the unit. I would figure another 3-5lbs boost would do the trick. The tune is the most critical. If it were mine, I would upgrade the radiator. Check out the engineering upgrades on the block and heads itself.

Vehicle manufactures are negative on performance up grades...period... Many will do them and when something breaks then the customer complains that the piece of crap should not have broken... Seen it many times before. If your going to pay 115K+ for a vette and modify then for that kind of money for performance mods you know you just became your own warrenty... Just my $0.03

Blessings,

Last edited by am124es2; 11-11-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:56 PM
dbvettez06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GlennSullivan
I'm suspecting that the new owners are still trying to figure out how to not wrap the car around a pole with the power they already have.

I know my C6Z is a bear to keep planted in the cold weather, so I'm thinking with a similar contact patch, the ZR1 would be a real bear in 40- 50 degree weather.

I know I generally go looking for more power, when what I have starts to bore me.
Yes in cooler weather the HP is useless...I am running around 650 rwhp and about the same tq....what the hill use is it if you can't use it ????? I will probably detune mine a bit for next summer for better streetablity...Hey 800 hp sounds great but the reality of extreme hp seems a bit dumb....But hey i am getting older......................
Old 11-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Nite Riderrr
Instructor

I've heard from a friend that someone is trying to make a pulley for the ZR1. I don't know how true this is but just putting it out there. Wanting more power is good but not with losing the factory warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!! I"m having fun with mine just the way it is now.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:39 PM
GrampZ
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Well, FWIW, the same source that said in spring of '07 that the "Blue Devil" had left "the shop" making 638 hp - which turned out to be the exact number in spring '08 - said the motor had been tested to 715 hp.

Does that make it true? Don't know. Just saying that was the "tested to" number quoted by some bloke who seemed to know the meaning of "638" a year early.

And from an engineering standpoint, 12% sounds reasonable, since the actual margin at failure is obviously higher. What ZR1 owners do with that margin is up to them.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:38 AM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 890 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by dbvettez06
Yes in cooler weather the HP is useless...I am running around 650 rwhp and about the same tq....what the hill use is it if you can't use it ????? I will probably detune mine a bit for next summer for better streetablity...Hey 800 hp sounds great but the reality of extreme hp seems a bit dumb....But hey i am getting older......................
You are also getting smarter. Best
Old 11-12-2008, 10:43 PM
FRC Dreamin
Intermediate

I'm wondering what a H/C & pullied ZR1 would put down.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:23 PM
motoGPguy
Racer

Originally Posted by FRC Dreamin
I'm wondering what a H/C & pullied ZR1 would put down.
Head and cam work will not be necessary on the ZR1. The LS9 heads flow just fine and the LS9 cam is designed for boost. Yes, you might be able to pick up more power with engine work, but I think the selling point of the ZR1 is that it has a longblock that is "boost friendly" from the factory.

Get notified of new replies

To Where are the pullied ZR1s?

Old 11-13-2008, 06:10 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Does ANYbody on this forum actually understand how this engine works? Friggin' n00bs - go over to C5 FI and learn something about forced induction, then tell me about 'pulleys' for the LS9.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:13 PM
nc1205
Instructor

Anyone working on this?
I'm working on my. sometime next week i will come out with some numbers. probably with over 700rwhp. pulley, H.pipe, Headers, and tune.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:35 AM
OnTheDouble
Advanced

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Does ANYbody on this forum actually understand how this engine works? Friggin' n00bs - go over to C5 FI and learn something about forced induction, then tell me about 'pulleys' for the LS9.
Why would anyone go to a C5 forum to learn about the LS9? If you know something everyone else doesn't, care to share anything of substance instead of just being a dick?

This engine works no differently than any other positive-displacement-supercharged motor.The R2300 blower can certainly handle more boost and be in its efficiency range, as can the bottom end. There is definitely room for more boost, as long as someone can figure out the programming. Throw a smaller upper or bigger lower pulley on there, make sure there is enough headroom in the MAF, fuel pump and injectors, and tune accordingly. Not rocket science.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Where are the pullied ZR1s?