Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Katech Torquer Cam without piston upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:48 AM
zich6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by SteckDW
Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think you truly understand how modifications work. A cam is not worth X amount, headers are not worth Y amount, and an intake is not worth Z amount. Everything works together along with tuning for a greater effect. There are Z06s with just intake (including porting of the throttle body and manifold), full exhaust, and tuning that have made 500rwhp. Believe me, I understand the difference between wheel horsepower and crank horsepower.

You're talking to a guy who actually installs the parts himself and tunes the car himself... not a guy who just drops his car off at a shop, writes a check, and picks it up later.
Take it the wrong way, nah. I know how to take people who engage in condescension the right way, with facts and not bravado based on alleged skills.

Below is a link to Katech site with the flywheel 580 hp number based on really nothing more that can contribute to HP other than the Corsas: http://www.katechengines.com/street_...vetteC6Z06.php

I won't be responding to this thread again unless asked a question, so I'll take the "high road" and you can have the last word. However, I would caution you against assuming that those who don't install their own cams are not knowledgeable about what precisely they're buying.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:50 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by zich6
Take it the wrong way, nah. I know how to take people who engage in condescension the right way, with facts and not bravado based on alleged skills.

Below is a link to Katech site with the flywheel 580 hp number based on really nothing more that can contribute to HP other than the Corsas: http://www.katechengines.com/street_...vetteC6Z06.php

I won't be responding to this thread again unless asked a question, so I'll take the "high road" and you can have the last word. However, I would caution you against assuming that those who don't install their own cams are not knowledgeable about what precisely they're buying.
Please read my edit. I'm not trying to be condescending... I'm just trying to clear up the belief that a single part is worth an exact horsepower value. Realistically, modifications work together, and an engine in a vehicle with a full exhaust system is not going to reflect the same results as an engine tested on a stand in a controlled environment. Do you have a before and after chassis dyno comparison for your car, stock vs. modified? I'd be interested to see some results from people. While it's not going to give a truly reliable reading from car to car, it can at least register somewhat accurate measurements of gains on the same vehicle.

Last edited by DSteck; 01-20-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:31 PM
VetteRobbie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine's Okay

I have the Katech cam with beehive springs and retainers and a new timing chain. All from Katech. Just check with Jason for the latest and greatest. Be forwarned, that the car will become a beast. It will no longer be the quiet smooth sleeper. I only track my car so it's no big deal. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:43 PM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 302 Likes on 138 Posts

Since I've been on the fence re: this mod for some time - I've looked into the subject a bit and Katech does not demand it nor do other tuners generally offer this with even more aggressive cams... You're probably safe without it so long as the tune is good to prevent detonation as this will be the death of the piston.

SteckDW - It's not worth it but I think it's admirable that you try and explain reality...

The Torquer cam does not make 80 HP alone. Katech doesn't even claim this! The cam + tune + intake + headers + exhaust is rated at 610-620 on an engine dyno. It is impossible to separate the gains achieved from the tune vs cam as they are linked. Also since there is room for improvement with the stock car with a tune alone (20-30 HP), one could make the arguement that any 50-60 HP gain from a cam + tune is attributable to the tune as much as any cam.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:11 PM
2008corvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SteckDW
Please read my edit. I'm not trying to be condescending... I'm just trying to clear up the belief that a single part is worth an exact horsepower value. Realistically, modifications work together, and an engine in a vehicle with a full exhaust system is not going to reflect the same results as an engine tested on a stand in a controlled environment. Do you have a before and after chassis dyno comparison for your car, stock vs. modified? I'd be interested to see some results from people. While it's not going to give a truly reliable reading from car to car, it can at least register somewhat accurate measurements of gains on the same vehicle.
Here's my results:

Baseline Dyno (B&B Bullet exhaust only)
461 rwhp, 433 rwt
Run conditions: 88 degrees, Humidity: 44%

Katech Torquer cam, B&B Bullets and tune
498 rwhp, 463 rwt
Run conditions: 91 degrees, Humidity: 21%
Old 01-20-2009, 08:42 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 2008corvette
Here's my results:

Baseline Dyno (B&B Bullet exhaust only)
461 rwhp, 433 rwt
Run conditions: 88 degrees, Humidity: 44%

Katech Torquer cam, B&B Bullets and tune
498 rwhp, 463 rwt
Run conditions: 91 degrees, Humidity: 21%
Thanks for the comparison! I wish I had been able to keep track as I modified my car.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:43 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think you truly understand how modifications work. A cam is not worth X amount, headers are not worth Y amount, and an intake is not worth Z amount. Everything works together along with tuning for a greater effect. There are Z06s with just intake (including porting of the throttle body and manifold), full exhaust, and tuning that have made 500rwhp. Believe me, I understand the difference between wheel horsepower and crank horsepower.

You're talking to a guy who actually installs the parts himself and tunes the car himself... not a guy who just drops his car off at a shop, writes a check, and picks it up later.

My Z did 529/493 with Torquer, Kooks, KB and email tune... No need for pistons

Here is my story and proof that you need a good combination of mods to see nice dyno #'s

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-my-story.html
Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Absolutley agree w/ last post...

#29 Katech w/ Halltech KB, torquer cam, springs, stock pistons, Kooks headers, highflow cats, B&B fusions...plus some bling!

Use as a DD and have ~ 5K miles on upgrade.

Mustang dyno before Kooks / highflows: 485.2 / 438.2

Mustang dyno after Kooks: 510 / 451

Only issue w/ torquer and original setup was significant lope...corrected after retune by Kirk @ Vector Motorsports (across street from Katech).

Actual number for anyone dyno dependent and most all agree that Mustang is usually very conservative...

Go for it...you won't be disappointed!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Katech Torquer Cam without piston upgrade