Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] speed bleeders leak!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:29 PM
nzk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed bleeders leak!

just installed a full set of brand new speed bleeders, what a waste they are the SB1010S.

all of them are tightened down snug, 4 out of 8 are squirting fluid all over the inside of my wheel, getting those things swapped back to OEM asap! anyone else had this problem?

also after the bleeding job i noticed a click sound coming from the fuse panel underneath the passenger floor mat whenever i press the brake pedal. is this normal?

Last edited by nzk; 02-18-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

^ yeah speed bleeders do suck. but also is there a chance you overtightened them? you know you don't really tighten the bleed screws super tight.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:01 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by nzk
just installed a full set of brand new speed bleeders, what a waste they are the SB1010S.

all of them are tightened down snug, 4 out of 8 are squirting fluid all over the inside of my wheel, getting those things swapped back to OEM asap! anyone else had this problem?

also after the bleeding job i noticed a click sound coming from the fuse panel underneath the passenger floor mat whenever i press the brake pedal. is this normal?
I have Speed Bleeders too - I've had them in for about 1-1/2 years now.

I bleed and flush the system before and after every track event, so I've been cracking them open and closing them back up numerous times, and I have had absolutely no problems with them. I think they are great for solo bleeding/flushing.

I believe I have the same ones you're using. I can't remember the exact model# I got, but I just looked at their site and see that's what they recommend for Corvettes, and when I got them I ordered what they specified.

Sorry you're having problems, but mine work great!!!

Bob
Old 02-18-2009, 08:11 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an off brand, can't recall the name, but I have had zero problems with them.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:57 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

do you need to wrap the threads in teflon?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Moss
Racer

I had speedbleeders on my c5 for several years with no problems and am getting ready to order four more for the c6 z. I am assuming that the old ones are still good.

Now for what it's worth. the patent for speed bleeders has run out. I would only buy them from the original source speedbleeder.com or call them at 1-888-879-7016. I just spoke with them the other day. The ones they sell are made by them in the good ol' USA exactly like they were making them before the patent ran out, other vendors buy only some from them in order to be able to use the speedbleeder name. the rest of their inventory "may" come from China. The other thing that may make a difference, the ones that I had been using and will re-order are the SB1010s-ss the "ss" is for stainless steel.

good luck
Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Moss
Racer

Originally Posted by dvandentop
speedbleeder sells a sealer, $10 for 1/2 oz. bottle
Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dvandentop
Mine came with a coating on the threads, so no need for teflon tape.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:48 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Mine came with a coating on the threads, so no need for teflon tape.
Mine too - and here's a picture of them from their website:

Bob
Old 02-18-2009, 11:42 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

I don't see the reasoning behind them. Those of you who are using them to do a one person bleeding, how do you know when you have passed all the air out if you are pumping the pedal and noone is watching the bleed line? Maybe with a pressure bleeder, but with that, you don't need the speed bleeders. I just don't see the point.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:14 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by corvette pilot
I don't see the reasoning behind them. Those of you who are using them to do a one person bleeding, how do you know when you have passed all the air out if you are pumping the pedal and noone is watching the bleed line? Maybe with a pressure bleeder, but with that, you don't need the speed bleeders. I just don't see the point.
Yes - you're right!

Mine are total overkill because I use a Motive Power Bleeder to pressurize the m/c. I don't need the Speed Bleeders at all, but I like them.

Bob
Old 02-19-2009, 12:19 AM
corvette dave
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette pilot

Have been saying the same thing for years on this forum.
Don't screw with what works.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:26 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

With them, I can bleed the brakes with my 4 yr old watching for, as he says, "no bubbles". He can also pump the pedal, because if he slips up, the valve always closes, keeping the air out.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I have Speed Bleeders too - I've had them in for about 1-1/2 years now.

I bleed and flush the system before and after every track event, so I've been cracking them open and closing them back up numerous times, and I have had absolutely no problems with them. I think they are great for solo bleeding/flushing.

I believe I have the same ones you're using. I can't remember the exact model# I got, but I just looked at their site and see that's what they recommend for Corvettes, and when I got them I ordered what they specified.

Sorry you're having problems, but mine work great!!!

Bob
I also have nothing but good things to say. I have had them on two cars now and also bleed before each event day. Can't imagine doing it without them

DH
Old 02-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Moss
I had speedbleeders on my c5 for several years with no problems and am getting ready to order four more for the c6 z. I am assuming that the old ones are still good.

Now for what it's worth. the patent for speed bleeders has run out. I would only buy them from the original source speedbleeder.com or call them at 1-888-879-7016. I just spoke with them the other day. The ones they sell are made by them in the good ol' USA exactly like they were making them before the patent ran out, other vendors buy only some from them in order to be able to use the speedbleeder name. the rest of their inventory "may" come from China. The other thing that may make a difference, the ones that I had been using and will re-order are the SB1010s-ss the "ss" is for stainless steel.

good luck
Yes ..... always get the stainless steel version

DH
Old 02-19-2009, 01:32 AM
poser
Instructor

a buddy of mine was a local distributor for them here about 2 years ago...when i was gonna order a set from him last year, he told me that he stopped carrying them, as too many people complained that they were leaking...

he carried the originals, not knock-offs too...
Old 03-07-2009, 01:06 PM
nzk
Burning Brakes

turned out the speed bleeders ruined the valve seats inside the calipers, the shape of their tip is slightly different than stock...stock on the left, speedbleeder on the right...

these are the SB1010S that they sent me, ordered online directly from their website. i did not overtighten them as i have used them on other vehicles before and loved them, thats why i got them. after installing them i went to bleed and noted that the ones i was not bleeding were slowly dripping fluid. i gave the leaking ones a smidge more torque and this did not fix the problem. with the weekend over i had run out of time to mess with it and took it over to LG. Anthony informed me that the valve seats were ruined and that even the stock bleeders would not seal.

with a HPDE the next day i was understandibly freaked. Anthony and the LG guys saved the day by tapping out the calipers for Wilwood bleeders. ran the HPDE the next 2 days and everything worked flawlessly, including the brakes. never buying speedbleeders for anything again. waiting on a response from them...
Old 03-07-2009, 07:35 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

for future reference for anyone else who strips and wants to fix themselves, autozone sells a bleeder repair kit. You slightly open up the bleed hole with a drill and retap to 1/8" NPT (I think, might be a little off on the size, but thats unimportant), then you install a threaded insert with a smaller bleed screw in it, pretty much just like the wilwoods nzk used.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:32 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Resurrection of this thread (wow 9 years)

The OP bought the wrong model. Use the SB1010 (H9409) instead of the SB1010S

Get notified of new replies

To speed bleeders leak!

Quick Reply: [Z06] speed bleeders leak!