Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] let's here it, who has blown up their stock Ls7's

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:50 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Not compared to the roughly 25,000 or so Z06's in existance since 2006.

We have had a couple dozen reported on here, but overall the number is less then .05% I bet
When the plant dedicates a team to replace motors, it's a problem. And they make the same mistake as politicians by refusing to tell their customers the truth (or anything). Oh well, guess they have bigger problems than worrying about me, and it's mutual.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:22 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Painrace
I am looking forwaed to it! Just a few more days. I hope I can kinda hang with you. Don't you have new brakes?

Jim
Actually, this season my car is sporting a brand new (to me) set of Brembos, complete with two-piece rotors. But the fact is I try not to use them too much because they slow you down...

Glad to hang with you. Wait... do you mean on the track???

I am bringing the Depends, hope you get my beer cold!!!

Frank Gonzalez
Old 04-30-2009, 05:02 PM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by elh0102
When the plant dedicates a team to replace motors, it's a problem. And they make the same mistake as politicians by refusing to tell their customers the truth (or anything). Oh well, guess they have bigger problems than worrying about me, and it's mutual.
Your saying you'd rather them not have a division to replace motors? Listen I don't car what automaker you talk about. You build enough motors there will always be some that fail. That goes for anything produced just about...whether it be computer boards or engines.

Last edited by UTVOL06; 04-30-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:05 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UTVOL06
Your saying you'd rather them not have a division to replace motors? Listen I don't car what automaker you talk about. You build enough motors there will always be some that fail. That goes for anything produced just about...whether it be computer boards or engines.
Not at all. I'm saying I wish they had been willing to talk to me. We all make mistakes, and they made one with this motor. Enough of them went back to the factory to determine a common cause, but the only response I received was, "sorry, we can't divulge that information". Anyone who believes the failure rate in the LS7 has been within any acceptable norm, is just not paying attention.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:34 PM
yanniz
Burning Brakes

Not at all. I'm saying I wish they had been willing to talk to me. We all make mistakes, and they made one with this motor. Enough of them went back to the factory to determine a common cause, but the only response I received was, "sorry, we can't divulge that information". Anyone who believes the failure rate in the LS7 has been within any acceptable norm, is just not paying attention.
I 100% agree, but you will lose this battle here....people here take it so personal when the facts are pointed out that makes you just laugh about it...
Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Could it be the motor is subjected to a little more abuse then your average 4 cylinder Accord that makes the failure rate higher? Just sayin...
Old 04-30-2009, 08:27 PM
shifter77
Drifting

OK, now lets get down to business. WILL GM REPAIR/REPLACE engine if it blows? SOO far ive got this answer from dealer: DONT WORRY ITS NORMAL. Going to another dealership this week. See what happens.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by UTVOL06
I wonder what the number is on Porsche's, Vipers, or Ferraris? Surely they see similar results?
Dont know about Porsches and Vipers but Ferrari engines are bulletproof

Their transmissions suk though
Old 05-01-2009, 08:12 AM
evo1313
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68

I ran a Ferrari 360 on the track for a year and I have to agree, ZERO problems (even with the F1 tranny). It just wasnt quite fast enough and there isn't many options to make them faster.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:57 AM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68

I had a Porsche 997S for a year, between my C5 and C6 ZO6's, and I bought a Cayman S after the C6 engine failure. No problems with either one. The Cayman is obviously way down on power compared to the Corvette, but for an all around street and occasional track car, it's very good, and I prefer it's handling over the 911 platform. My local Porsche dealer is very track and mod friendly, and many customers have their track cars serviced there regularly. The dealer's position is, if a modification does not cause the problem in question, they will not make it an issue. Obviously, one season with each car is not a long term evaluation but, in general, Porsche cars are very durable. As with any car, the owner's experience will be heavily influenced by the local dealer.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:03 AM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

Let's get back on track please...GM-LS7 FAILURES to date...post away...
Old 05-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Actually, this season my car is sporting a brand new (to me) set of Brembos, complete with two-piece rotors. But the fact is I try not to use them too much because they slow you down...

Glad to hang with you. Wait... do you mean on the track???

I am bringing the Depends, hope you get my beer cold!!!

Frank Gonzalez
Getting the beer cold is up to the hotel. I am sure there will be a few with your name on them!

With your new brakes I am not the only one that is going to need some Depends!

I look forward to hanging with you both places, Frank!

Jim
Old 06-03-2009, 07:48 PM
ItDoneBlewUp!
6th Gear

I am choosing not to participate in the poll of defective LS7 engines due to ongoing unpleasantness. I will contribute information after the aforementioned situation has been resolved.

Anyone who has had their warranty coverage denied should read the following:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus01.shtm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

http://www.sportrider.com/features/1...act/index.html

I believe that this law allows consumers to also recover attorney fees from any successful legal action. So if you are denied coverage, you should contact an attorney immediately. It is the manufacturer's burden to prove that you are responsible for the damage and not any inherent defect introduced in the design or manufacturing process. Personally, I think that is very hard to do for a blown engine. Unless of course, the engine was revving at 9000RPM when said engine done blew up.

I recently contacted a law firm which specializes in warranty law. It turns out that they represent GM. They were kind enough to refer me to a law firm who specializes in representing consumers. I guess more business is good business.

If I were running a business and faced with a lawsuit that could potentially cost me $13,000 (for LS7 - probably much cheaper for them), $3000 for labor costs, $20,000+ legal costs for attorneys that represent my company, and $20,000+ legal costs for attorneys that represent the suing party, I might find it more economical to just install a new engine for said party. Unless of course, I could prove beyond a reasonable doubt, that the gaping hole in the engine was caused directly by the consumer and not a well known and documented defect such as oil starvation or needle bearings that GM may or may not already be working on to remedy and fix.

Considering the significant number of defective LS7s with gaping holes in them, I am surprised that there is no Class A action pending at this time.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney. Anything I write is a layman's opinion. I advise that you consult your own attorney for a professional opinion on any legal matters.

Last edited by ItDoneBlewUp!; 06-03-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:02 PM
dpracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2007 Z

2 engines, both dropped intake valve springs. Destroyed both motors. Mid 06 build date. 2nd motor was put in about 6 months later. The 06 valvespring woes.

GM warrantied both. Car had a tune only. Yes, they scanned the car and new how many times, and when, and what was changed.

The tune did "blackflag" the warranty and also they searched the forum and found the car had been drag raced. And it was.

The car was traded and now I have my current 09Z.

C5FRANK can verify this info.

So, yea, if you post yourself anywhere abusing your car they can use this against you on certain claims.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:15 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dpracing
2007 Z

2 engines, both dropped intake valve springs. Destroyed both motors. Mid 06 build date. 2nd motor was put in about 6 months later. The 06 valvespring woes.

GM warrantied both. Car had a tune only. Yes, they scanned the car and new how many times, and when, and what was changed.

The tune did "blackflag" the warranty and also they searched the forum and found the car had been drag raced. And it was.

The car was traded and now I have my current 09Z.

C5FRANK can verify this info.

So, yea, if you post yourself anywhere abusing your car they can use this against you on certain claims.
Great information.

Of course the Magnusson Moss experts in here are going to pooh pooh it, but, well you stated the facts.

Originally Posted by ItDoneBlewUp!
I am choosing not to participate in the poll of defective LS7 engines due to ongoing unpleasantness. I will contribute information after the aforementioned situation has been resolved.

I gotta ask. Was the car modded?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-03-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:22 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by BADZ
How many miles were on it? What was the reason it blew if you know? I was told that there are a lot that never mention or post their story.

Just wonder if its a big number.
Please don't tell me you blew your motor.

EDIT: Oh, wait. Older thread. Nevermind.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 06-03-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:36 PM
ItDoneBlewUp!
6th Gear

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I gotta ask. Was the car modded?
Hypothetically... if I were to own such a car as the Z06. I would not modify the engine or drivetrain. Especially when it is still under warranty. And especially when the engine is known to explode every once in a while. And if such a car happened to have it's engine blow up on me, I would expect to be covered by the factory warranty.

Furthermore, if something like this were to happen, I would surely take the time to take pictures, and gather other evidence to further support my case, if need be, prior to dropping it off at the dealer.

This is all completely hypothetical of course.

Get notified of new replies

To let's here it, who has blown up their stock Ls7's

Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 PM
thee Dragon
Instructor

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Not compared to the roughly 25,000 or so Z06's in existance since 2006.

We have had a couple dozen reported on here, but overall the number is less then .05% I bet
If one takes your estimated build number, 250 failures would be 1%.

That's a safe guess; 1% or greater. Anything over 1% is unacceptable IMO.

If the number gets over 1000 failures then we approach 5% failure rate.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:51 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ItDoneBlewUp!
Hypothetically... if I were to own such a car as the Z06. I would not modify the engine or drivetrain. Especially when it is still under warranty. And especially when the engine is known to explode every once in a while. And if such a car happened to have it's engine blow up on me, I would expect to be covered by the factory warranty.

Furthermore, if something like this were to happen, I would surely take the time to take pictures, and gather other evidence to further support my case, if need be, prior to dropping it off at the dealer.

This is all completely hypothetical of course.
I understand, and thanks for the explanation.

Hypothetically speaking, were you to own such a car as the Z06, and have it's engine fail, would you be inclined to state that the car was modified, if that were the case, knowing that hypothetically, the warranty for a new engine might be denied as a result of said statement?

Also, hypothetically, which types of pictures, and specifically what pictures, or other evidence would one hypothetically want to gather in support of their case, and to protect themselves, were such a mishap to occur?

What would one need a picture of in order to protect themselves in such a matter?

Thank you.

Again, all of this is completely hypothetical.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-03-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:46 PM
CudjoeScott
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Z06MENACE
2007 z06 19,000. Miles dont knoe why it blew but believe thast a valve bent them trough a rod through the side of the block theres a 1 inch hole near the bottom of the block prior to thid they changed the rocker arms in the same cylinder to quiet the ticking sound which sounded like the lifters . I go to court on may 27 for lemon law cause they refused to fix the engine
Any update, Menace?

Quick Reply: [Z06] let's here it, who has blown up their stock Ls7's