Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] **Need Help! How do i prove HPDE's are safe and not EXTREMELY DANGERIOUS!!!**

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:11 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to follow your dreams in life and your family should understand.

With a proper roll bar, seat, harness, fire suppression it's relatively safe.

At some point though going 160+ nothing will matter because your organs are doing 160mph and slamming into your rib cage at 0mph.

If it wasn't scary it wouldn't be fun, half of the fun is the adrenaline rush of being scared.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:06 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your proof is called "the backhand", also known as "pimphand" in some households.
JK, take her out for a session, or let one of the instructors take her out. If she's like my wife, she'll enjoy it as much as you do.
BTW, I would never bungy jump, or ride in a small plane for that matter.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:16 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Your proof is called "the backhand", also known as "pimphand" in some households.
JK, take her out for a session, or let one of the instructors take her out. If she's like my wife, she'll enjoy it as much as you do.
BTW, I would never bungy jump, or ride in a small plane for that matter.
LMAO! hahah at the pimp slap. Yeah Amy liked it even when we just did auto cross, she even liked it more once we did the road track!!! take them along for a ride they will enjoy it more!!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:02 PM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this doesn't break it down by activity while occupying a car but it does show some relative risks:
http://www.nsc.org/research/odds.aspx

Safety equipment and experience WILL make you safer.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:36 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

as far as OP's problem goes:
  • don't lie to or mislead yourself or your loved ones about the risks
  • acknowlege their concerns
  • don't take the position "you are not the boss of me I do what I want". if you have family they are invested into your well-being wether you like that or not
  • let them know that this is important to you and your happiness
  • let them know that you are researching the options and are investing into safety gear and your skill development
  • as others suggested, invite them with you
  • HOWEVER - don't give rides unless you are 99% confident in your skill level and are able to dial it down for a lap or two. the only thing worse than hurting yourself on the track is hurting someone else because you screwed up
Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 PM
ajderzie
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Number 1 piece of safety equipment is behind the steering wheel. (Ok, not the airbag. I meant in the other direction)
Old 06-15-2009, 05:55 AM
Kneel 8250
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

For me it has always been "practising defensive driving techniques" and that may work for you also. You are actively practising how your car reacts in an emergency situation so you drive defensively to avoid accidents on the street.
Have a great day.

Kneel.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:42 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanized
You have to follow your dreams in life and your family should understand.

With a proper roll bar, seat, harness, fire suppression it's relatively safe.

At some point though going 160+ nothing will matter because your organs are doing 160mph and slamming into your rib cage at 0mph.

If it wasn't scary it wouldn't be fun, half of the fun is the adrenaline rush of being scared.
It is dangerous, that's why it's so much fun. I doubt the comps between driving to the event vs. the HPDE are valid - the HPDE insurance premium for an event is $290 vs about $400 for the whole year of street driving.

Doesn't your family do anything risky? I have no problems at all since my wife flies a T-28 Warbird at airshows. She understands the whole adrenaline rush thing!

Jim

Quick Reply: [Z06] **Need Help! How do i prove HPDE's are safe and not EXTREMELY DANGERIOUS!!!**