Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ALMS GT-2 Race

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Default ALMS GT-2 Race

It was one heck of a race with Jan sliding across the finish line after being forced into the inside wall and then srtaight into the outside wall at speed. He ended up 2nd. I think the car was destroyed. He passed the Porsche a couple of laps from the end but had to let him back by because he used a part of pit out. It does not get much better than that. Next year should be very interesting in GT-2!

Jim
Old 10-11-2009, 09:20 PM
rpoz06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree - incredible finish. The porsche and ferrari teams better enjoy this year as I think the vettes look to dominate next year. That ending should be good fuel to that fire!

Unfortunately, I'm afraid ALMS will stick the vette teams w/ more weight/sanctions to equalize performance.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:21 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

wonder if there is any vid available?
Old 10-11-2009, 09:36 PM
rpoz06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Borrowed off the C6 General Section:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwXugrQXaM
Old 10-11-2009, 10:04 PM
lthrneck
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rpoz06
Borrowed off the C6 General Section:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwXugrQXaM
wow that was brutal.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:08 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Tit for tat. The Vette tapped the Porsche's left corner, the Porsche saved it and drove Jim into the wall. What a finish.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only way the P-Car could keep the #3 behind him.I think I'll go find my P-Car buddy tonite and take him out to make it even.LMAO. Rubbing racing,he took him out period.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:17 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Wow I really don't feel it was tit for tat. I really think that fing porsche is a really bad guy, driving Jan into the wall. Boy I can't wait to see the vettes drive right up the kraut burners next year!!!
Old 10-11-2009, 10:23 PM
bobmac427
Intermediate

More like a tap and a trash.
How do you drive a guy into the wall and not get placed last?
If not, then next time the Corvette should drive the Porsche into the wall to return the favor.
The Porsche was blocking so you give him a tap to get by but you don't run the guy into the wall.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:42 PM
GrampZ
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Not a "racing incident" - illegal and dangerous

If you saw the post-race interview with Jorg, he admitted he was exacting revenge after getting tapped in the last corner.

The fact is Jorg intentionaly ran Jan into the wall, which is a violation of the Rules (5.6, 5.7 and 5.8, I think). More importantly, by his own admision he wasn't "just racing" - intentionally running another driver into the wall was unnecessary and very dangerous.

Jan's "tap" did not compromise Jorg's ability to drag race Jan to the finish, which makes Jorg's move even more inexcusable.

IMO, Jorg should be penalized. If the Stewards don't , how can they justify doing so when someone else pins another driver against the wall and/or turns them?

Very dangerous.

-- And fwiw, no I don't race wheel to wheel. But I do take the Z to the track and it does have scars. I just prefer a stand up fight instead of chickensh** when you're about to get walked.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=GrampZ;1571788821][SIZE="3"]If you saw the post-race interview with Jorg, he admitted he was exacting revenge after getting tapped in the last corner.

The fact is Jorg intentionaly ran Jan into the wall, which is a violation of the Rules (5.6, 5.7 and 5.8, I think). More importantly, by his own admision he wasn't "just racing" - intentionally running another driver into the wall was unnecessary and very dangerous.

Jan's "tap" did not compromise Jorg's ability to drag race Jan to the finish, which makes Jorg's move even more inexcusable.

IMO, Jorg should be penalized. If the Stewards don't , how can they justify doing so when someone else pins another driver against the wall and/or turns them?

Turn 11 is the slowest corner at Seca,plus there was oil/fluids at the corner which have benn upsetting cars for the previous 15 laps or so.Jan started the fender bending at turn 3 several laps before.But it was REAL wheel to wheel racing!!!!!The attendence was off this year and people really missed a show.Its big boys racing for big boys money.

Wen Jan took the short cut down pit lane,the radios lit up with comments from the TV commentators and coarse workers
Old 10-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Frenchican
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after watching, she says, "this why we don't watch Nascar"

But I checked out Jimmie J's win anyway.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frenchican
But I checked out Jimmie J's win anyway.
Me too! Good for him and for the 24 also.

I missed the ALMS race, but now after watching the videos - the payback for the tap was definitely overboard.... P-cars better watch out next race......
Old 10-11-2009, 11:48 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Four of us forum members were there this weekend and watched the turn one action when Jan got banged off the track twice and recovered. Today on the way in the Lizard crew were standing around the car and the conversation got ugly quick. They say the Corvette was the total fault of the event and that no one respects the Corvette teams. When I asked them how come the left front fender was smashed they said that it was a result of side by side racing. Since it's hard to imagine that one could smash the front fender if you were leading it had to be when the Corvette was in front. They would not hear of it saying that they got bumped in the last turn and that was totally uncalled for and unfair. Since the Lizard car was short checking on a couple of laps earlier hitting him a bit was inevitable. I think it’s called a bump and run and they truly were side by side coming out of 11 and the Corvette would have beat him to the finish and was in front when he got tagged in the right rear quarter as proved by the left front fender damage. They told us to look at all the damage on the rear do to being hit all day long by the Corvette. When looking it was hard to even see a scratch and when asked how the Corvette could have done all that damage when they had to make up 14 sec after the last pit stop. It was not pretty.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 213 Likes on 92 Posts

As Jan said, the Pooche driver parked his car in the last turn. Anyone over slowing can't complain when getting bumped. Jan could have easily punted the Pooche at that point but he didn't. Rather, he set up a drag race down the final straight to the checker. How is it that the Pooche ended up on the far left of the track grinding the Vette into the inside wall when momentum exiting the last turn should have put him to the right? ALMS politcs can only explain the lack of a penalty. It would be nice to see some dirt track justice put upon Bergmeister.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:24 AM
Z06LINK
Instructor

Jorg's move was ay over the top. I've never seen someone force a car all the way into the wall like that. Great "PIT maneuver" (ptp). Jan would have fared better if he had just leaned back into the P car. Great race to watch in P1, P2 & GT2.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:42 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Default Fantastic racing but the end

Jan bumped into Porsche due to his more than normal braking, after that is was ugly, outcome could easiliy be injury and death.
Porsche drove the Corvette into the wall, period, hope they do something with it

Rune

Get notified of new replies

To ALMS GT-2 Race

Old 10-12-2009, 05:11 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
Jan bumped into Porsche due to his more than normal braking, after that is was ugly, outcome could easiliy be injury and death.
Porsche drove the Corvette into the wall, period, hope they do something with it

Rune
Hard racing is ok, but this crosses the line in my opinion!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:20 AM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the race DVR'd but couldn't stop myself from watcing this clip. I am 100% convinced that Jorg was way out of line on this one. Yes, Jan tapped him on the next to last lap and the final lap as well; this means that the car behind you is most likely quicker at that point. Blocking is OK to a degree but he clearly drove him into the wall. FWIW, I am a Porsche 997S owner and a fan of the Flying Lizard team. At the end of the day however, I am a fan of good, clean, ALMS racing and love the C6Z06 Vette. The Vette team is stout aleady in just a few races. Next year, Porsche and Ferrari better damn sight bring their "A" games. Should be great to watch!!
Old 10-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Anyone that has raced has been involved I one of these incidents. I lost a race at Road Atlanta one time because I passed a car going under the bridge and went over into the pit lane too far (so the stewarts said) to make the pass. Sports car race organizers want foreign cars to win. They do not consider the Corvette or Viper a sports car.

It will be fun until ALMS starts adding weight and other restrictions to the Corvettes.

Jim

Last edited by Painrace; 10-12-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] ALMS GT-2 Race