Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Oil lead recomendations, please

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:46 PM
rohard
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Oil lead recomendations, please

Well, went in today for second oil change on 08Z at 10,300 miles. The service manage came and got me out of the lounge, and took me out to the service bay.
The tech says I have a oil pan gasket leak on my LS7. There is oil an the drivers side of the pan, from the oil filter back. They say not a rear main. On the first oil change, no one said anything (not a Chevy dealer).
They have to drop the engine cradle to remove the pan and replace the gasket. There is no oil drip (yet) on the garage floor, nor does the car use any oil
Man, I hate to have them do this, seems like fix one problem and two more come up.
Has anyone else had this problem (seems like a gasket either holds or doesn't)? Any chance of it being something else (like the oil filter leaking)?
Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:57 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would ask them to clean all the oil from the engine and recheck that the oil filter is tight per specs.

Then I would keep an eye out for leaks, wet spots, etc. If none are found you are home free. If there is a leak, warranty should cover it.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 11-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an 07Z w 30,000 miles and just had the same experience of oil leaking a little bit on the garage floor and the pan wet w oil. Service Center put in some dye and had me come back in a few days and, sure enough, it was the pan oil gasket. Had to drop cradle, etc., but I've put a couple hundred miles on it and seems Ok.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil lead recomendations, please

Quick Reply: [Z06] Oil lead recomendations, please