Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Sending my Z to Ragin Racin!! Punisher or Lethal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:47 PM
06SilverfoxZ
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sending my Z to Ragin Racin!! Punisher or Lethal?

Been reading the forum since picking up my new Z a few weeks ago. After talking with several shops I have decided to go with Ragin Racin. I just have one issue. I haven't decided which cam to go with with from them. I know the Lethal is pretty popular, but I am thinking a little bigger which is leading me to the punisher cam they have. What do you guys think. Shawn said it worth 10-15 more hp.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:07 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bigger is not always better for the LS7, trust me!!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 10:25 PM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

From what I've read, most people love the lethal. It really depends on your personal driving preference. Either way, you will love the added power. Are you a 1/4 track guy, road racer, or just like the power?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:36 PM
FASTBLUEZ06
Pro

I say Punisher! Who doesn't want more power? That's what I plan on putting in my car soon, whenever they upload a video of it already....
Old 11-15-2009, 11:14 PM
06-Z0SICK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTBLUEZ06
I say Punisher! Who doesn't want more power? That's what I plan on putting in my car soon, whenever they upload a video of it already....
Who wants loss of low end torque? Who wants surging and bucking at low rpms? I certainly don't. Although the Punisher is a great performing cam that delivers awesome power, if your using your car for the street i'd go with the LETHAL. Still a great cam that will get you that muscle car lope and deliver both great torque and top end power with great street manners and no drivability issues. Especially since you just got your Z and if you havent done cams in a car before, your car is going to drastically change, especially if you go for the Punisher, to the point where it might not just be fun for a DD. I say go for the LETHAL and dont look back. Theres some graphs on here too comparing the LETHAL with the Katech Torquer cam , both make the same torque but LETHAL keeps pulling up top, and the Torquer cam is one of the best cams for serious torque. Do some research , know what you want out of your car and shoot for it!
Old 11-15-2009, 11:22 PM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been saving money for a motor LSX build up. I have been researching for the moment on Ragin Racing and Late Model Racecraft. Both good shops. I would personally wouldn't mind either cam. They are both excellent cams.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:18 AM
06SilverfoxZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 06-Z0SICK
Who wants loss of low end torque? Who wants surging and bucking at low rpms? I certainly don't. Although the Punisher is a great performing cam that delivers awesome power, if your using your car for the street i'd go with the LETHAL. Still a great cam that will get you that muscle car lope and deliver both great torque and top end power with great street manners and no drivability issues. Especially since you just got your Z and if you havent done cams in a car before, your car is going to drastically change, especially if you go for the Punisher, to the point where it might not just be fun for a DD. I say go for the LETHAL and dont look back. Theres some graphs on here too comparing the LETHAL with the Katech Torquer cam , both make the same torque but LETHAL keeps pulling up top, and the Torquer cam is one of the best cams for serious torque. Do some research , know what you want out of your car and shoot for it!
Don't know how concerned I am with drivability. I have had cams in F-bods before. I do notice that even their smaller cam is getting impressive numbers or mph at the track. I'm starting to think that the biggest cam is the best. I have seen Ragin say this in several of the threads that they have gotten more with less. I'm leaning towards the lethal.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:29 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,706 Likes on 1,087 Posts

I'll give you some more first-hand feedback later this week. I should have mine back in the next day or so. I chose the Lethal.

Yeah, those guys are great to deal with, especially Shawn. I must have talked to him a dozen times before finally getting the cam. They definitely have a solid understanding of quality customer service.

I probably won't make the peak power with it yet. I am only planning to port the throttle body for now. I don't want to change the stock clutch for awhile.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 11-16-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:42 AM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

I "had" the lethal cam in my car and it was a very very mild manner cam. It netted me 550 rwhp and 500 ft/tq and it drove like a stock Z with a very nice lopey sound. In my honest opinion, I would go with the lethal over any cam that is being sold on this forum. Shawn and Randy know their cams well and whichever you decide on, you will not be sorry.. It would be nice if they were a little closer to Houston though but everything can't always be perfect... Good choice either way my friend!!!!

Just my .02

Last edited by BADZ; 11-16-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:49 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Theres some graphs on here too comparing the LETHAL with the Katech Torquer cam , both make the same torque but LETHAL keeps pulling up top, and the Torquer cam is one of the best cams for serious torque. Do some research , know what you want out of your car and shoot for it!
I have to disagree with you, Dyno numbers are just that "Numbers"... I conclude that "baby cams" (torquer in my case) run stronger on the street than the "peak cams" and I have vids to prove it (I can PM the vids for any who want to see it)

my 535 whp 521 wtq vs

541 / 505 (Yellow one, Punisher)
548 / 510 (Red one, Lethal)
570 / 525 (Silver one... but passenger on the car, B.P. Stage 3)

LS7 like it "torquey" with power range... not peak!
Old 11-16-2009, 02:26 PM
FASTBLUEZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by QuickSilver-PR
I have to disagree with you, Dyno numbers are just that "Numbers"... I conclude that "baby cams" (torquer in my case) run stronger on the street than the "peak cams" and I have vids to prove it (I can PM the vids for any who want to see it)

my 535 whp 521 wtq vs

Can you PM those videos to me please
Old 11-16-2009, 02:36 PM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

my 535 whp 521 wtq vs

please PM me.

I guess it depends on the style of racing you street race. Over here, we start at 50 mph and let off at 200. I can guarantee you, the results would be different than what you had. I have tried the QMs, in the past and they were very good. Then the Lethal, and on one car it was super impressive. Then the punisher on my 440 with heads, and drivability and power were surprisingly good. Now, my 440 has the striker and Fast intake, dont ask me how, but it has more torque down low that all the ones i mentioned before. seriously. It must be the Fast's improved design which allows me to accelerate from 2.5 K in 5th like i did before with 4th gear. 2nd gear acceleration now lights up the 345s Invos from around 50 mph.

You must be a better driver than your buddies
Old 11-16-2009, 03:11 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Bigger is not always better for the LS7, trust me!!!!
Bigger does seem cool and the peak numbers are awesome to show off, but it does not always been better...I have learned this the hard way with modding engines in the past with my other vettes.
Keep doing your research and you will find that perfect cam/combo for you.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:13 PM
69 Vette
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 85 Posts

My advice is the Lethal cam. You will be real happy with that one
Old 11-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Fast06Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one has mentioned this but any reputable tuner or shop can also spec a Custom Cam for you tailored to your needs. Its usually a small additional cost or no cost at all since it does not cost them more to have it made. Thats what I did to make sure I kept the nasty idle I wanted but had a cam friendly for a blower with a wide LSA.

If you want to go with a tried and tested cam then go for Livernois stage 2 cam or Lethal. My two top choices with HOURS of research from when I did mine
Old 11-16-2009, 07:22 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

All PM's sent:

HNK; When you see the vids you can see is not the "driver factor"... on a side note I have the FAST and my buddies don't, but still have "less peak HP" than them

So what I said is for my experience, no a theory from a "data logging" or "comparison" on dyno sheets

Last edited by webcarconnection; 11-16-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:32 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by American Psycho
Bigger does seem cool and the peak numbers are awesome to show off, but it does not always been better...I have learned this the hard way with modding engines in the past with my other vettes.
Keep doing your research and you will find that perfect cam/combo for you.
It must be a disease. My 552 RWHP Z, with 500 RWTQ was plenty fast enough......but she is now in for surgery having The Vette Doctors "Sick Stick" installed along with the LSXR manifold and NW TB. I am also having the heads completely done so we shall see........according to some in this thread I may have just downgraded and become slower...........but somehow I doubt it.......

Get notified of new replies

To Sending my Z to Ragin Racin!! Punisher or Lethal?

Old 11-16-2009, 08:00 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Originally Posted by DSOM Z06
It must be a disease. My 552 RWHP Z, with 500 RWTQ was plenty fast enough......but she is now in for surgery having The Vette Doctors "Sick Stick" installed along with the LSXR manifold and NW TB. I am also having the heads completely done so we shall see........according to some in this thread I may have just downgraded and become slower...........but somehow I doubt it.......
I guess all cases most be different hehehe... one thing for sure is that the FAST intake is a "breakthrough" mod for this engine, forget about the numbers this thing awakes and perform better with the FAST... period
Old 11-16-2009, 09:37 PM
06-Z0SICK
Burning Brakes

my 535 whp 521 wtq vs

Old 11-16-2009, 10:09 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Well this is MY dyno sheet... this is a 3er party dyno numbers

P.S. The higher graphics are my NOS dyno numbers.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-the-dyno.html

Last edited by webcarconnection; 11-16-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Sending my Z to Ragin Racin!! Punisher or Lethal?