Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Lightning Lap No 4 at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 04:03 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
I hear what you're saying, and agree...

BTW - Call me crazy, but I feel the C5 Z06 'may' be the best track Corvette ever produced. Why? Because it can easily & greatly be improved upon from OE. Equal tires, a bit of suspension work, and a few minor engine tweaks and I'd put it against a ZR1 on a road course. I bet if it was behind, it wouldn't be by much. I've seen plenty run hard at tracks, and they are monsters on the road course. If I ever purchase another Vette, this is at the top of the list.

P.S. - Is there any way to improve the steering feel/feedback? I'm sure better tires help, but I'm talking a different steering rack. Heck, even a manual one... Do any racers change this aspect of the car? I love to feel what the car is doing thru my hands, even if I have to sacrifice steering ease (at low speeds or stop)...
You're not crazy, the C5Z is a great car. The sum of the parts and the numbers on paper is greater than the whole. It's an overachiever.

It's got the lowest overall weight of the modern era vette's, the lowest unsprung weight (tires/wheels/brakes - stock anyway), and with the plastic fixed roof and small rear glass, likely has the lowest CG, even compared to the alum frame C6Z06.

It needs some help in some areas for serious tracking, but it's a solid platform to build from.

Steering feel = it's taken me awhile to get used to it, and I still don't love it, but it is what it is. A smaller dia wheel helps. DRM makes alum bushings that go between the rack and cradle, I've heard these help for the track, not sure how much NVH they'd carry over for the street.

As for vs the ZR1, it would be a track by track basis. A track like VIR where you can air it out for a couple of the long straights, it's hard to argue with 640 hp. On a smaller regional track where the % of lap spent at WOT is much smaller, things get closer.

I think if you put both the ZR1 and C6Z06 on the same tire compounds, I think folks would be surprised at how close the C6Z06 could run to the ZR1, and possibly even quicker at certain tracks.

What's hard to beat is the potential speed of the ZR1 vs it's everyday livability. A car that's that streetable that goes that fast is pretty amazing.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:12 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I think if you put both the ZR1 and C6Z06 on the same tire compounds, I think folks would be surprised at how close the C6Z06 could run to the ZR1, and possibly even quicker at certain tracks.
Well, at Spring Mountian all the Vettes (base, Z06, and ZR1) at the drving school are on Michelin PS2 tires. The ZR1 retains it's stock ZP tires but the other get a tire change since Michelin is a school sponsor. According to the instructors the ZR1 still 2-3 sec a lap faster than the Z06 on their 2.2 mile track.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:18 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
For example Automobile took the ACR to Spring Mountain for a test vs the GT2 back in '08. The ACR turned a lap time of 1:45.4 sec. I was just out a Spring Mountain a few weeks ago for the ZR1 drivers school. The lap record for a stock ZR1 on that track is 1:40.x by one of the school instructors (JJ, for thoes who have been there). He is even faster than Ron Fellows (who's name is on the school) by a few tenths. So is the ZR1 really ~5 sec faster on that track than the ACR? No, they are not really comparable times due to the different drivers and days.
JJ is one hell of a great driver, and perhaps an even better instructor. If you haven't been to Spring Mountain to take advantage of the skills and teaching abilities of folks like JJ, Rick Malone, Victor and others, you're really missing out.

But bear in mind that he also has probaby 10,000+ laps at that track, and could drive it without looking out the windshield (which he does while instructing because he's looking at the cars behind him in the rear view mirror during the lead/follows and doesn't miss a thing). Sending a driver in an ACR for a one day test and having him turn a 1:45 is pretty damn impressive, actually. And the post above is dead on--there's no way to compare the two drivers. By the way, JJ also turned a 1:43 in a Z06, and a 1:47 in a Z51 C6, all track records.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:08 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
Well, at Spring Mountian all the Vettes (base, Z06, and ZR1) at the drving school are on Michelin PS2 tires. The ZR1 retains it's stock ZP tires but the other get a tire change since Michelin is a school sponsor. According to the instructors the ZR1 still 2-3 sec a lap faster than the Z06 on their 2.2 mile track.
interesting
Old 01-05-2010, 07:25 PM
redknight
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
interesting

The ZR1 was faster than the Clubsport on Cups in this Car and Driver test. Lots of variables though and I would not be suprised if the results reversed under different circumstances. Still, the ZR1 is definitely a beast.

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...a471dcc061.pdf
Old 01-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Deuuuce
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Its very difficult to compare different models to each other on a road circuit.

The ZR1 has a close-ratio 6speed compared the the C6Z as well.

In terms of the C5Z, an excellent platform, but a F360 consistently ran at the top of the pack in SCCA T1 and won one year.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

C5Z is still one of the best track cars. I see a ton here at Barbers Motorsports Park on the track days. And with equal tires, I do believe that the tests would show that the ZR1 would be 2-3 seconds faster than the Z06. Too much of a power advantage on the straights.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:43 AM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

THE ZR-1 IS CRAZY FAST, THEY SAID THAT THE MURCIELAGO IS MORE STABLE AND IS MORE PLANTED THAN THE Z BUT THE Z GOES AROUND THE CLIMBING ESSES AT 109-110 MPH WERE THE LAMBO IS DOING ABOUT 100 MPH IN THIS SECTION..

http://carvideos.caranddriver.com/
Old 01-06-2010, 09:17 PM
redknight
Racer

Originally Posted by ivanjo11
THE ZR-1 IS CRAZY FAST, THEY SAID THAT THE MURCIELAGO IS MORE STABLE AND IS MORE PLANTED THAN THE Z BUT THE Z GOES AROUND THE CLIMBING ESSES AT 109-110 MPH WERE THE LAMBO IS DOING ABOUT 100 MPH IN THIS SECTION..

http://carvideos.caranddriver.com/
The lambo has pirelli corsa R-compounds. If you want to feel more stable and planted in a zr1 without switching tires just slow down a little. You'll still be faster than almost everything else.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:34 AM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

I wonder how much better putting the power down would the 2010 zr-1 be with the ptm....

Old 01-25-2016, 01:13 PM
Deuuuce
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

MT & Pobst just posted a 1:33.05 at MRLS in the C7Z. Great, but still disappointing. GT3 RS 1:33.29

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Lightning Lap No 4 at VIR