Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Stock engine dropped valve, GM won't warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 02:48 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by GMuffley
In civil litigation you may be subject to discovery, which can mean turning over copies of anything you have written on the subject.
not to mention if they wanted to subpeona IB and this board they could...its all in the User Agreement
Old 01-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

How can you have an engine failure under the GM 5-100, you be in compliance and GM not be responsible?

Why would they go to the trouble of having an outside source evaluate the failed parts?

Why would this process take 2-3 months to reach a conclusion?

I am no fan of the new GM but there seems to be evidence on this forum that GM has been standing behind most engines failures from dropped/broken exhaust valves.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:04 PM
nzk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what engine fails at 11K miles?? just that fact alone means the engine is defective. the failure should be covered 100%!! what is the point of the warranty??
Old 01-02-2010, 03:24 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default Not impresseed

If the so-called independent expert did not take a metallographic cross section of the valve near the failure point, and do a microstructural evaluation and some microhardness traverses, as well as put the fracture surface in a scanning electron microscope with energy dispersive spectroscopic capabilities, then the report is WORTHLESS. In my opinion as a registered professional engineer in seven states, in both mechanical engineering and METALLURGY. I'm just sayin' . . . . .
Old 01-02-2010, 04:08 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
good luck...
FWIW....the track stuff and mentioning it on the forum is indeed a very steep hill to overcome.....I am with Pewter here....Good Luck
Old 01-02-2010, 04:09 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid
If the so-called independent expert did not take a metallographic cross section of the valve near the failure point, and do a microstructural evaluation and some microhardness traverses, as well as put the fracture surface in a scanning electron microscope with energy dispersive spectroscopic capabilities, then the report is WORTHLESS. In my opinion as a registered professional engineer in seven states, in both mechanical engineering and METALLURGY. I'm just sayin' . . . . .
I love the mind of the engineers
Old 01-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

What values (e.g., rpm, engine temperature, oil pressure) did the car's ECU record?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nobody knows his name so how the hell is anything posted here is evidence of anything. This is hilarious. I bet if you hire a lawyer amd he sends them a letter they'll call to fix the engine. You just have to play hardball
Old 01-02-2010, 04:42 PM
9dita
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid
You are right, but that depends on what GM asked him to do, if a complete failure analysis, or only a quick evaluation, since the difference in money would be substantial. I certainly would like to see a copy of the report.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:44 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I don't understand the inconsistency!

I know of both situation where the motor was not stock & tracked & yet was was warranteed when the motor blew. I also know a a similar situation as this where it was a totally stock motor & the owner had to lawyer up before GM change their tune. I know that one's relationship the service manager do matter as they're the ones that go to bat for the customer. I wish you well & hope you get your motor waranteed. Track or not, if it's stock; it should be waranteed!
Old 01-02-2010, 04:49 PM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I still don't understand how this isn't covered under warranty. The drivetrain has a warranty, how can they say it isn't covered no matter what the circumstances: if the motor is stock, there should be no issues.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:07 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Just pull out your DVD that comes with the car in '06 and play for the judge/jury Tag(or whoever it is) saying you can go from the showroom to the track with this car.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:09 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I think it's a very poor decision on GM's part regardless of their legal responsibility. I'm getting sick of dealing with people/companies who look hard for reasons not to support their customers. I understand them not covering the obvious. That is not the case it sounds like.

Good luck getting them to cover it - I hope you succeed.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:45 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Joe_Planet
nobody knows his name so how the hell is anything posted here is evidence of anything. This is hilarious. I bet if you hire a lawyer amd he sends them a letter they'll call to fix the engine. You just have to play hardball
you may wanna go read the user agreement

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...agreement.html

We at corvetteforum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

IP addresses /email accts, etc.

trust me there are people on here who could have your personal info, employment info, spouse, and a picture of your house posted up before midnight without trying real hard just by things you have posted here already...
Old 01-02-2010, 05:47 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Chalky
How can you have an engine failure under the GM 5-100, you be in compliance and GM not be responsible?

Why would they go to the trouble of having an outside source evaluate the failed parts?

Why would this process take 2-3 months to reach a conclusion?

I am no fan of the new GM but there seems to be evidence on this forum that GM has been standing behind most engines failures from dropped/broken exhaust valves.
still a whole lotta unanswered questions from the OP IMO on why this is where it is in terms of being resolved
Old 01-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Big Top Gt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

This is the thanks we tax payers get for loaning GM a few billion.

We can't even get it back in the form of having them stand behind the products for which we've already paid.

I'm looking really hard a buying a ZO6 after I ditch my 06 M5 in the next few weeks. After reading these horror stories about warranty voiding, a turbo Porsche is looking more likely.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:58 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
good luck...
The car has a dry sump oil system, huge brakes etc intended for use as a weekend track car. It certainly shouldn't be an issue. My question to GM is if it wasn't material failure then what was it?

Get notified of new replies

To Stock engine dropped valve, GM won't warranty

Old 01-02-2010, 06:16 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Exactly, there was no official determination on what caused the failure.

Without having a degree in engineering, one can posit, through test, if the exhaust cap has evidence of it coming apart due to a lack of structural rigidy (hollow/sodium filled) or was it due to exssesive heat or lack of oil, for example.

The local rep. Using that specific local engineer should come of no surprise, he/she spins a tale that favors her monthly report/audits so, that same engineer keeps getting used.

My opinion is very simple, lawyer up, provide detailed anaylsis of the failed parts, history of other failures and I formation showing exactly what this car was made to do (as per what was been said by GM representatives) and I'm sure GM and that rep. will change their minds quickly.

GL!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:49 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BlaznZ06
Just pull out your DVD that comes with the car in '06 and play for the judge/jury Tag(or whoever it is) saying you can go from the showroom to the track with this car.
Yup, and if I remember correctly he even bragged about the warranty back then when it was on a television commercial. I think you will get this taken care of 100%. Might have to get ugly with them but I think you will prevail because the car was stock with no alterations.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:03 PM
jimgia
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why bother......

Granted, General Motors sells the Z06 for use at track days, and that is supposedly fully covered by warranty. But you may have over-revved the engine at the track and caused the damage yourself. Who knows?

My 2006 Z06 is modified to 640 hp with milled heads, cam and headers.
I have 7,000 miles and 3 track days on it and it has never broken. Including a missed 5th-2nd gear ( I was aiming for 4th) downshift at 120 mph that locked up the rear end and spun me off the track! It should have blown the engine. Once the dust settled I just put it back in 1st gear and rejoined the chase.

As cheap as the Chevy V-8 engine is to repair at a local speed shop, or possibly at the dealer, I'd fix it myself and move on. It's the cost of racing and playing with expensive Big Boy's toys.

Even if you did win in court against GM, the time and aggravation is not worth the $1,500 the repair might cost.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Stock engine dropped valve, GM won't warranty