Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Question: For those that have a Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:25 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Question: For those that have a Clear Bra

Looking to install a clear bra on my 09 Z06. Just got a price to do the front bumper, 20 inches up the hood, front fenders and mirrors for $800. The installer then wants to charge an additional $350 for the front and rear rocker panel areas and 6 inches up the doors.

This seems very high to me. Can those that had this work done and that were pleased with the results give me an idea of what I should be paying.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 PM
KFehling
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have had the entire front clip, 24 inches up the hood, headlights, mirrors, door recesses, door edges, full rocker panels, wheel wells (painted sections), fuel door, and trunk area around the spoiler for about $1400. It was performed by a guy who just left a company to strike out on his own so that was probably a pretty good price. Your estimate sounds about right but I would ask him to do the door edges, fuel door, and trunk area at that price. They are simple to do and do not require a lot of material so I would think that he could include that too.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Hahabye
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had the rear fenders on my Z06 done for $150. Your quote is waaaayyyyy too expensive imo. Good luck!

Bill
Old 01-09-2010, 08:41 PM
09ZO6_Doc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way too pricey. Got mine for $350 - front end including lights. Sideview mirrors were an extra $200. Have had mine now for the past 7 months - no problems. Make sure the installer has experience installing and is using a quality product - there are many out there - 3M, Venture shield, x-pel, etc.

Good Luck.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:24 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 251 Likes on 164 Posts

250$ for mine, installed by yours truely with the help of my father in law that's in the vehicle wrapping biz...entire front nose, 1/3 of the hood, mirrors, headlights and fog lights. I just added the piece that covers the rear brake vents...I think that was about 40 bucks...and that's buying pre cut pieces from a guy...I'm sure if I decided to open my own biz the cost of the material wouldn't be over 50 bucks if that...I think 550 intalled would be a good price (for all that I have on mine), it's not a quick thing to do either and you have to be quite miticulous...I know that's what I'd charge...matter fact I might just do that as a side biz...
Old 01-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid $800 for mine 2 years ago, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. the price included the nose/fog lights, headlights 30 inches of the hood, fenders, and rear brake ducts.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:55 PM
ZZZZZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Burnin4
I paid $800 for mine 2 years ago, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. the price included the nose/fog lights, headlights 30 inches of the hood, fenders, and rear brake ducts.
I did the same, but added door edge guards and rocker panels for an additional $95.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZZZZZR1
I did the same, but added door edge guards and rocker panels for an additional $95.
oops, those were part of my install as well .

my only complaint about a clear bra is getting wax stuck along the edges, but have figured out how to avoid that now.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:38 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

my only complaint about a clear bra is getting wax stuck along the edges, but have figured out how to avoid that now.
How about sharing your secret?
Old 01-09-2010, 11:51 PM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had clear bras on 3 of my cars. When you wax, spread the wax in the same direction along the edge of the film, and not against it. The same with removing the wax, in the same direction as the edge of the film.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Clear bra in the Bay Area

Originally Posted by beden1
I've had clear bras on 3 of my cars. When you wax, spread the wax in the same direction along the edge of the film, and not against it. The same with removing the wax, in the same direction as the edge of the film.
Pretty high. I paid $400 for mine here in the Bay Area two years ago. This included the hood, head and fog lights, mirrors and recessed door handle openings.
The local Porsche place was charging $2, 300.00, but this included the full hood, great deal!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:06 AM
RyanT
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm94
Looking to install a clear bra on my 09 Z06. Just got a price to do the front bumper, 20 inches up the hood, front fenders and mirrors for $800. The installer then wants to charge an additional $350 for the front and rear rocker panel areas and 6 inches up the doors.

This seems very high to me. Can those that had this work done and that were pleased with the results give me an idea of what I should be paying.

Thanks
Where do you live? For a case of beer I'll do it!
Old 01-10-2010, 02:02 AM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks
That sounds just about right. With that being said, you should see how much of a pain in the *** it is just doing the front bumper piece. In the end, you will appreciate that price..
Old 01-10-2010, 02:15 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts

I have it too

To those that had their HL's done, I found this pic of a guy that had his done too, but had to replace them due to these fractures. Cant recall what product he had, but not preety.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:52 AM
DannyG
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Thanks
Mine cost about $900 for the nose, about 1/3 of the hood, mirrors, and behind the front and rear wheels on my C5Z. From what I've been told, the nose of our cars are a PITA... C5 and C6.

Had a rock penetrate the clear bra, which resulted in it peeling back a bit so I got a quote on just having that piece replaced - Was quote $400!

That being said, I'd say your quote is a LITTLE high, but not too far off. I'd get a couple more quotes and compare.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Your quote is pretty average. yes people will get it for cheaper at some places but the quality of the install will not be as good adn there is a good cahnce you wont get good film either. Clear bras are like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. A good installer with a good film is not going to be cheap but the results will be much better. A lot of these guys doing it for low prices are here one day gone the next... meaning you will not get a waranty with it. Over the years I have also seen that there are a lot of new guys in the business charging low rates... yet when they install they cut your paint up.

Check out the guys work and see how it looks. If it looks good to you then go ahead and pay the money to have it done right the first time. If you dont you will regret it. And I can tell you that if you go down to get your rocker panels, bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors and lower doors repainted you will not get it for under $1150. Not to mention you will have a difficult time having it matched properly. Do a search on here and you will find a lot of threads with people having a hard time matching some of the colors these days... and even more complaining about how soft the paint is. One headlight along costs well over $1600... so it pays for itself many times over.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:06 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,796 Likes on 1,134 Posts

Thanks
I have everything you describe. $750 out the door.

High-quality install from here: http://www.invisishield.com/

Get notified of new replies

To Question: For those that have a Clear Bra

Old 01-10-2010, 08:33 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks
Sounds about right for here in CA. I went with VertureShield, I have the entire front clip, rockers, 6" up the doors, up to the top of the rear brake scoops, mirrors, door edge guards and inside of the little cove area where the touchpad is to open the doors. $1500.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:50 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$795 for mine 2 years ago. Included nose, about 12" up the hood, a bit of the front fenders, fogs but NO headlights, mirrors, rockers, a few inches of lower doors, behind front wheels and in front of rear wheels/brake ducts. 3M product.

Had it installed by a local Porsche/Audi dealer that also did my allroad when I bought it in 2004. Six years later, lots of winter and highway miles, and plenty of exposure to the elements - it still looks great on the Audi. I expect it'll look good for a long time on the Z!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:21 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I can't believe people pay this much.

Here's what I got:

http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin...l=CORVETTE+ZO6

I installed everything myself, and I did the bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, behind the front wheels, lower rockers, and rear brake scoops, as well as the headlights and an installation kit and dvd for less than $400. The only difficult piece was the bumper, but it turned out nicer than the professional installer that raped me on my last vette. If you fubar any piece, they'll sell you that same piece at their cost, or they have a list of pro installers.

Do a google search and you'll find a coupon code that will save you 10 percent.

Last edited by AirBusPilot; 01-11-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Question: For those that have a Clear Bra