Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Thinking of buying a Z06. Anything I should know?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 06:50 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Thinking of buying a Z06. Anything I should know?

First let me say I have many toys most are older Corvettes. So this would not be just a toy. I would like one as a daily driver. Good weather of course. Is this a good idea or would a stock vette be a better idea? I'm' looking at 06 or 07"s.

Is there any problems they have or I should know about or look for when buying? How do they ride in the real world? I have not had a late model vette since 2002 so I am really out of touch with late models.

I love the Z06 but don't want to buy one and find out it's alittle to harsh for daily use.

Brian G.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:02 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Get a CARFAX and GMVIS, then be prepared to buy stock in some tire company.

For some odd reason I need new rear tires at 10,600 miles.

My Z is a daily driver and can be as docil as any other car.

Tom
Old 01-22-2010, 07:06 AM
BobJ
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How long is your commute? If a short one, no problem, get the Z.

If it's 20 miles + each way I would seriously consider a coupe. The Z is a race car, the ride is stiffer, the tires are expesnive, if it gets damaged it's going to be WAY more expensive to fix.

It's also VERY fun to drive!!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:18 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Good info. I never thought about the cost of tires. How much are they. What about brakes? I only drive a few miles a day. Sounds like the ride is kinda stiff. The roads here in CT suck. I have stiff riding Corvettes now. Keep the info coming.
I want to buy real soon.
Brian G.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:30 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,142 Posts

Well, my 2006 Z51 coupe was more docile than my 2003 Z06 to be sure. It was an auto and felt like a Cadillac in comparison. My 2008 Z06 fell somewhere in between. The Nitto Invo tires helped a lot, but it will still jostle you on rough roads. The stock runflats on my C6Z were harsh and noisy relatively speaking. I couldn't even talk on my phone at 65MPH. Get a Jawbone bluetooth. It helps.

Different shocks are in my future.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:37 AM
JT Metal
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Just how cool they are...............
Old 01-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Jet Stream Blue Z06
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Brian,
Too bad my car wasn't put away for the winter, I would let you take it for a spin. The car is a blast to drive and it does ride a little harsh on bumpy streets, but the rush you get driving it outweighs everything else. I am in on the group buy for Bilstein shocks from DRM and I am wondering what they will do to the ride for normal street driving. I know they will greatly improve the cornering and the handling if and when I do take the car to the track. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Good Luck.

Phil
Old 01-22-2010, 08:55 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

"The roads here in CT suck."

You will probably want to replace the shocks and tires to soften the ride.

I got mine on a rough section of interstate highway in NC and cussed for 150 miles straight.

Jim
Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 AM
LEJ ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default My ZO6 is a Daily Driver

I have an '08 ZO6 that I use as a daily driver. I bought it new and it has 27,000 miles on it now. I have no complaints with it and would do it again.

You don't really need 500 HP in your DD and you could get almost as much fun with a 400 HP car with the manual transmission but with the ZO6 the power is there if and when you want it. It gets good gas mileage too.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:43 AM
HOWSER
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Old 01-22-2010, 10:15 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by aworks
First let me say I have many toys most are older Corvettes. So this would not be just a toy. I would like one as a daily driver. Good weather of course. Is this a good idea or would a stock vette be a better idea? I'm' looking at 06 or 07"s.

Is there any problems they have or I should know about or look for when buying? How do they ride in the real world? I have not had a late model vette since 2002 so I am really out of touch with late models.

I love the Z06 but don't want to buy one and find out it's alittle to harsh for daily use.

Brian G.
Watch your right foot it will get you into trouble I drove my 09 Z06 836 miles one way no problems. I've owned vetts all my adult life I'm 66 never owned a caddy so I don't know what soft ride is.
z51vett
Old 01-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,055 Likes on 827 Posts

Wow, that's an extremely subjective question.
I'd have to ask what is it you expect from a DD Corvette?
If it's brutal in yo' face performce?
Fine, the Z06 is for you.
IF it's just the enjoyment of driving a Corvette, ie comfort, convenience etc, perhaps the standard models would be a better fit.

I say that solely because, for example, I will not use my Z06 for anything where it'll be parked, out of my sight. And that primarily due to the increasing numbers of nutz running amoke these days.
Say the CF fenders are keyed?
It'd cost [me] thousands to make right, nevermind whether the JSB pain would be matched by even the most skilled shop.
No thanks.

While vanadalism can & does happen to any Corvette, there's something about the Z06 (*&* ZR-1, FTM) that seems to bring the absolute worst outa certain people.
Something for you to consider IF you plan on parking it while in the office, working.

Is there any problems they have or I should know about or look for when buying?
Yes.
I've told every persona asking your question the same thing: Make damned sure the car's never been tuned and/or otherwise been opened for mods!

IF you're dealing with a dealer?
Have them check & certify [it] by putting it in writing.
IF it's a private seller?
Have any deal contingent on your having the car's tuning/mod status checked, first.

Tuning and/or certain mods, last I'd heard, completely negate whatever warranty you get with a preowned car.
Believe me unless you're T.Boon Pickens if the LS7 frags, for whatever reason(s), they cost a king's ransom to replace.

How do they ride in the real world? I have not had a late model vette since 2002 so I am really out of touch with late models.
Again, very subjective.
However since I've owned a 2006 Z51 car, I personally can't tell the difference & in short I LOVE the ride. Wouldn't fiddle with the shocks etc, a'tall.

Tire wear's another matter; though, that's due to the GY product and not the car's chassis.

As all my other Corvettes coming equipted with GY F1s?
When they quickly wore out I replaced 'em with BF Goodrich, Michelen or any tire EXCEPT GY.
IF the ride smoothed out, and it usually did, fine & dandy.
It's GY's premature wear compared with my mild driving habits that really PO'd me as opposed to handling, ride etc.

Cost to replace 4 new skins for the Z51 with BF Goodrich EMTs was around $1,000 mounted & balanced.
For the Z06 I'll be acquiring Michelene PS2s, anticipate shelling out up to $1,500; BUT, they'll last much longer than the GY trash, also.

Test drive one, first.
Methinks once you put the spurs to the LS7 monster though, you'll be awfully surprised at what you're willing to tolerate.

Good luck with the decision.
Keep us posted IF you do go to the Z06.
These cars really are uber unique in ways only ownership reveals.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:22 AM
BobJ
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I only drive a few miles a day.
Get the Z, thread can be locked!

Old 01-22-2010, 01:07 PM
z0sicks07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everything you hear on this forum about it being one big nonstop grin is 100% accurate my Lyla's(my z) 2nd bday will be on the 25th so long story short you're going to have a new love of your life so you should let the wife and kids know
and it's great for daily use i have 28k miles in under 2 years gets better every drive.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Brian G.
The only thing I can say is, if you don't want a permanent GRIN on your face from ear to ear 24/7... you might want to consider having a plastic surgeon on retainer!

I drove my 2007 Z to work for several weeks last fall, and it was very well mannered on the street and interstate…. It’s a kitten if you take it easy and a TIGER if you want to drive like a madman, peddle to the floor. Excellent car!
Old 01-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Beast5spdGTA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not the best Daily Driver

I'd definitely go for a test drive in a 2010 Grand Sport, almost the exact same looks and performance and I'm guessing/hoping a much better, quieter ride. After 1400 miles in the last 6 days (950 miles in two days) of owning an '07 Z06.

This is my opinion, the seat/ride/road noise is actually less comfortable than my supercharged '89 Trans am GTA (if you filled the dash and interior full of GreatStuff Foam). Lumbar support, there is none, lateral support if your a healthly size human (not fat), there is none of that either, it's a racing seat you can move all over the place, but you can't change the shape of it. The ride/noise on an older concrete highway is horrible, the radio almost can't be turned up loud enough. Highway and cell phone don't mix.

The engine is docile though, amazingly so. It idles at 600 rpm, in 6th gear at 1000 rpm, you can floor it and it won't hesitate or buck like you would expect from an engine with this much power. I don't know how they tuned it to be that smooth at lower RPMs and high load. 25-26 mpg on the highway at 75-80 mph. Never driven another C6 or corvette for that matter, the power is amazing, it keeps pulling forever from 4000 rpm or so on. Driving around town, it doesn't matter what gear you are in, just press the gas and it will start going, with no complaints.

I'm a 5'7" 145 lb 28 year old by the way. If I had a lot of toys and money and wanted a cool looking daily driver, I'd spend 50-60k for a new '10 Grand sport vs. 40-45k for a Z06.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:21 AM
Nick 02 Z06
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast5spdGTA
I'd definitely go for a test drive in a 2010 Grand Sport, almost the exact same looks and performance and I'm guessing/hoping a much better, quieter ride. After 1400 miles in the last 6 days (950 miles in two days) of owning an '07 Z06.

This is my opinion, the seat/ride/road noise is actually less comfortable than my supercharged '89 Trans am GTA (if you filled the dash and interior full of GreatStuff Foam). Lumbar support, there is none, lateral support if your a healthly size human (not fat), there is none of that either, it's a racing seat you can move all over the place, but you can't change the shape of it. The ride/noise on an older concrete highway is horrible, the radio almost can't be turned up loud enough. Highway and cell phone don't mix.

The engine is docile though, amazingly so. It idles at 600 rpm, in 6th gear at 1000 rpm, you can floor it and it won't hesitate or buck like you would expect from an engine with this much power. I don't know how they tuned it to be that smooth at lower RPMs and high load. 25-26 mpg on the highway at 75-80 mph. Never driven another C6 or corvette for that matter, the power is amazing, it keeps pulling forever from 4000 rpm or so on. Driving around town, it doesn't matter what gear you are in, just press the gas and it will start going, with no complaints.

I'm a 5'7" 145 lb 28 year old by the way. If I had a lot of toys and money and wanted a cool looking daily driver, I'd spend 50-60k for a new '10 Grand sport vs. 40-45k for a Z06.
I'd say you'd be better off back in that 89' GTA. I'm sure there's somebody on this site that will take that 07 Z06 off your hands so you can have your Grand Sport with,
Originally Posted by Beast5spdGTA;
"almost the exact same looks and performance and I'm guessing/hoping a much better, quieter ride."
I can't figure out what you mean by, "Racing Seats" in the Z06. They are not racing seats.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of buying a Z06. Anything I should know?

Old 01-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,055 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick 02 Z06
I'd say you'd be better off back in that 89' GTA.
Sounds like that to me, too.

Originally Posted by Nick 02 Z06
I'm sure there's somebody on this site that will take that 07 Z06 off your hands so you can have your Grand Sport...

Yea, I *think* someone would volunteer for the "punishement".
Might even throw a GTA in to sweeten the deal?
Ya just never know.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Prime Target
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 171 Posts

Anything you should know? Hmmmmm. Prepare to grim like a 10 yr old at an amusement park everytime you get in it. Prepare yourself that from the point of ownership on, no other car you've ever owned will compare to it. Prepare to be the envy of every person you know. Prepare to take pride in owning an elite vehicle that a few of us around here have the same privilige of.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:07 AM
winzerguy
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

My 06 Z06 is my seventh Corvette. It is by far the best 427 Corvette ever to be used as a DD. I have 88K nearly trouble free miles on mine since September 2006. Like any hp sports car, it has it's compromises. The run flats are harsh, but the last set ( I am on my 4th set of GYs) lasted almost 30K. It depends on how you drive and getting the proper "street" alignment that will extend the tire mileage at a minimal cornering reduction. The front splitter will drag many times on entering roadways and it can be damaged on those concrete parking barriers. However, unlike the ZR1, it is a very flexible plastic that seems to be the perfect design for a DD. I have not tracked or modified the car and would do it all again given the known performance and design of the car.
As I watch the midyear 427 Corvettes being sold at the Barratt-Jackson auctions for $80K+, I like my Z06 even more. The Z06 is still the best value in a high performance sports car that there is.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Thinking of buying a Z06. Anything I should know?