Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Cam position sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Default Cam position sensor replacement

I searched but couldn't find any good info. My z06 is throwing a P0340 code every once and awhile. It looks like the cam sensor is going out. How hard is this to swap? Anyone have pictures or a guide?
Old 02-17-2010, 04:01 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the 5 years Ive worked on the front mounted cam sensor cars, Ive NEVER seen one fail. How many miles are on it?
Old 02-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

19800 miles.

What else could cause a CEL for cam sensor error?

Sometimes the car takes 4-5 seconds to start and it throws the CE light, other times it fires right up and light goes off. I would love to get this taken care of before I mail my ECU to you for a flash and put my LG headers/TB and all the rest of my parts on.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:48 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, it could potentially be the issue- When we do swaps ( IE newer engines in older cars- 06+ into an 05 and older) if the cam position sensor is wired wrong, or the wrong cam gear is installed, it will do this, as its failing the CPS, and using the crank trigger to determine which phase its on. With the cam position sensor, it already knows what phase its on, and it will fire on first hit. The symptoms you describe, sound exactly like what happens when its wrong on a swap install.

Its behind the water pump, not too hard to get to, just a few things need to be removed. Its located on the front cam cover.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I'll check the plug and make sure it is plugged in all the way. If not I'll get the car up on stands for my LG headers and get my ECU on the way to you. The sensor is only $40 or so. I'll just get one on order if I can't fix it tonight and as the car waitings for the ECU/headers I'll swap it out. Thanks Louis.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:18 PM
02KillerZ
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
OK, it could potentially be the issue- When we do swaps ( IE newer engines in older cars- 06+ into an 05 and older) if the cam position sensor is wired wrong, or the wrong cam gear is installed, it will do this, as its failing the CPS, and using the crank trigger to determine which phase its on. With the cam position sensor, it already knows what phase its on, and it will fire on first hit. The symptoms you describe, sound exactly like what happens when its wrong on a swap install.

Its behind the water pump, not too hard to get to, just a few things need to be removed. Its located on the front cam cover.
So what exactly needs to be removed? The dealership wants to charge 4 hrs of labor.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:29 PM
02KillerZ
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Just wanted to post that I was able to replace the cam position sensor in about 2hrs and did the re-learn process without a Tech tool. No more codes and the car runs great. On a side note THE DEALERSHIPS SUCK!!!!!!! They wanted 4hrs of labor and I have never done this before and I finished it in 2hrs, what a bunch of *******s!

If anyone is interested in what's involved, it pretty simple.

- I put my car on ramps, but you can actually do the whole job from the top
- The sensor is located above the crank pulley at the 1 o'clock position
- First, take a turkey baster and empty the power steering reservoir
- Second, take the reservoir out, this is the hardest part of the whole job.... taking the 2 hoses off reservoir, those clips suck!
- Next, take the air box out and the drive belt off.
- Unbolt the idle pulley that is in front of the sensor.
- Now you have access to the sensor and the 10mm bolt that holds it to the engine block.
- Once the bolt was out, I just moved that metal shield to the side by bending it a little. Now you can pull the senor out (it just slides right out) and put the new one in.
- Now just put everthing back together and fill up the power steering reservoir.
- The next step is the re-learn process which is in the link below
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...r-relearn.html

Hope this helps, it saved me $400 in labor at the dealership for a $60 part!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I just swapped in the new one while doing my cam swap. No more issues, no more CE lights. The old one was all corroded. The seal on the plug was torn and let all sorts of moisture in the connector. Put a new harness and sensor in and no more issues.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:09 AM
cdelgado14
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed!

Get notified of new replies

To Cam position sensor replacement

Quick Reply: [Z06] Cam position sensor replacement