Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Retain dual mode exhaust with corsa/borla?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:11 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Default Retain dual mode exhaust with corsa/borla?

Is it possible to move from stock exhaust to something like a Corsa Extremen setup and still retain the dual mode (mild to wild) capability of the stock exhaust? Tried to search for the answer, but came up unclear.

I have 1 3/4" LG long tube headers, in case that changes the answer.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:22 PM
spoon man
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

To my knowledge the Billy Boat Fusion is the only exhaust that will still use the mild to wild. I am pretty sure Corsa and borla dont have a system like billy boat

I was considering the fusion but I honestly can't afford an exhaust at the moment so I am doing the muffler mod now that this crappy winter is coming to an end The BB fusion is a SWEET looking set of pipes though! I'd love to have a set
Old 03-07-2010, 11:28 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by spoon man
To my knowledge the Billy Boat Fusion is the only exhaust that will still use the mild to wild. I am pretty sure Corsa and borla dont have a system like billy boat

I was considering the fusion but I honestly can't afford an exhaust at the moment so I am doing the muffler mod now that this crappy winter is coming to an end The BB fusion is a SWEET looking set of pipes though! I'd love to have a set
Thx. What kind of muffler mod you thinkin of to fill the bill..as an alternative?
Old 03-07-2010, 11:34 PM
spoon man
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Here is a thread about the "muffler mod" which is a very common mod among Z owners. An aftermarket exhaust doesn't add much power for the money so to gain a more "throaty" sound here is what a lot of guys do....

http://members.***.net/frank.patry/vette/z06muffmod.pdf

I'd love to put a set of Fusion pipes on my car but money is tight. The BB is such a pretty system! I want to get a new cam or save up for a blower instead so consider the muffler mod if you want to save over a grand. It sounds real nice!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:38 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by spoon man

Thanks again. This post on the Billy Boat Fusion exhaust relates to your point.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:27 AM
Me2d
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello, maybe You were interested in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUgV0GTo0FQ

This is completely new exhaust solution (there is some kind of prototype on the video, as finishing is secondary) Made in Germany, the vacuum actuators are taken from Porsches, price tag is 2k Euro

Old 03-08-2010, 07:18 AM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Looks, and sounds, great. Are they for sale yet? So far, the only dual mode I have seen for sale is the Billy Boat Fusion.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:47 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

The factory system (with the cheap mod) and some LT headers/high flow cats sounds really impressive plus you get about 30+ HP/TQ gains for about the same cost as a cat-back exhaust.

There are many vid/audio clips available. That seems a more cost effective way to improve the exhaust note and gain some added muscle.

Tom
Old 03-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Me2d
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes it is, sales running since end of February. They have HQ in Switzerland http://www.loma-motorsport.com/loma-...sport-auspuff/

It should be much louder and lighter too.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:09 AM
kwadep21
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roger at TQPE; here in Houston, makes a system that has dual mode functionability. I believe the price tag is less than the B&B setup. Roger performed the Muffler Mod on my 09 Z06 and I could not be more pleased with his work! Two thumbs up for TQPE! here is his web site: http://www.tqpe.com/

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:52 AM
0Adam at RSI
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why not consider electric cutouts? They are a fraction of the cost and sound amazing!

I just put a pair on a red C6Z! The owner loved them considering he only paid $550 installed...

They do make exhaust systems that utilize the factory mild to wild system. They are expensive though...

I saw your car at the show, looked great!
Old 03-08-2010, 12:30 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Adam at RSI
Why not consider electric cutouts? They are a fraction of the cost and sound amazing!

I just put a pair on a red C6Z! The owner loved them considering he only paid $550 installed...

They do make exhaust systems that utilize the factory mild to wild system. They are expensive though...

I saw your car at the show, looked great!

Thanks, man. Glad you made it out.

Where can I get more info on the cutouts....how they install, how they work, etc?
Old 05-18-2015, 09:20 PM
jbwhite56
4th Gear

Default Be Wary of Electric Cut-outs

Originally Posted by tonypittman
Thanks, man. Glad you made it out.

Where can I get more info on the cutouts....how they install, how they work, etc?
Many states, including mine, have laws against electric (or any other kind) cutouts. I suggest you check this first.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:51 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

The OP got this sorted out about 5 years ago...
Old 03-29-2017, 07:43 PM
my2010vet
Advanced

On a 2010 Vet Grand Sport, is the Duel Mode Exhaust located in the rear with flappers in the tips or on the exhaust pipes before the converters? What year did they make the change? mike
Old 03-29-2017, 07:48 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by my08vet
On a 2010 Vet Grand Sport, is the Duel Mode Exhaust located in the rear with flappers in the tips or on the exhaust pipes before the converters? What year did they make the change? mike
Wow, another revival on this one.

The valves are located between the back end of the muffler body and the exhaust tip. As for what year a change was made? Are you referring to the 4 cat setup versus 2 cats? If the GS followed the same timeline as the Z06, the '12/'13 models received 2 extra cats at the front of the mid-pipe. Corsa sells an x-pipe that deletes them for the Z06...assuming they have one for the GS as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Retain dual mode exhaust with corsa/borla?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Retain dual mode exhaust with corsa/borla?