Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Battery woes....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery woes....

Guys...my battery has gone dead for the third time in less than 2 weeks. Read a bunch of threads on it (mild to wild drain, security drain etc.). Is it true mild to wild with flaps open won't drain the battery....my battery has drained in both positions. I did recently put in the nav dvd for the first time....how does that communicate with satellite etc....could that be a drain? Finally...sounds stupid, but when turning the car off do I hit the acc or the * side of the start button or doesn't it matter. Seems I am in accessory mode now and again.

Finally...is the battery cooked after going dead this often is such a short time period? If so, what battery should I get?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-23-2010, 01:29 AM
0SMOKNC6Z06
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 1268
Guys...my battery has gone dead for the third time in less than 2 weeks. Read a bunch of threads on it (mild to wild drain, security drain etc.). Is it true mild to wild with flaps open won't drain the battery....my battery has drained in both positions. I did recently put in the nav dvd for the first time....how does that communicate with satellite etc....could that be a drain? Finally...sounds stupid, but when turning the car off do I hit the acc or the * side of the start button or doesn't it matter. Seems I am in accessory mode now and again.

Finally...is the battery cooked after going dead this often is such a short time period? If so, what battery should I get?

Thanks in advance!
This might help you:
This is from All Data

Bulletin No.: 07-06-03-001B

Date: March 21, 2007

TECHNICAL
Subject:
Dead Battery, No Crank/No Start (Reprogram Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR))

Models:
2005-2007 Cadillac XLR (Including XLV-V)
2005-2007 Chevrolet Corvette (Including Z06)

Built Prior to the VIN Breakpoints shown.

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update the correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-03-001A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a dead battery after the vehicle has been parked for a extended period of time.

Typically, the battery will last approximately two weeks, depending on the initial state of battery charge.

Cause

A software anomaly within the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) causes an additional 30 mA draw on the battery when passive locking is enabled and the vehicle is parked.

Correction

Use the Pass-Thru method when programming and select "Replace and Reprogram ECU."

A new calibration has been released to correct this condition. Reprogram the RCDLR using SPS. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB.

On Corvette models, prior to reprogramming, remove the Radio/S-Band/VICS 15-amp fuse and the HVAC/PWR SND 10-amp fuse from the I/P electrical center (passenger floor). Also, the ignition must be in the "Key On Engine Off" mode.

If the programming does not finish successfully and the RCDLR appears to be in a "locked-up" state, DO NOT turn off the ignition, it can be reset by removing the RCDLR fuse (# 11 in the UBEC) for at least 30 seconds and reinstalling it. If the ignition was turned to OFF after the "locked up" condition occurred, its possible to continue programming by adding the VIN manually in TIS.

Tip

Transmitter programming and tire pressure learn procedures are NOT necessary after this reprogram.

Please refer to SI for additional information on other potential causes of battery drain.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:40 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SMOKNC6Z06
This might help you:
This is from All Data

Bulletin No.: 07-06-03-001B

Date: March 21, 2007

TECHNICAL
Subject:
Dead Battery, No Crank/No Start (Reprogram Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR))

Models:
2005-2007 Cadillac XLR (Including XLV-V)
2005-2007 Chevrolet Corvette (Including Z06)

Built Prior to the VIN Breakpoints shown.

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update the correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-03-001A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a dead battery after the vehicle has been parked for a extended period of time.

Typically, the battery will last approximately two weeks, depending on the initial state of battery charge.

Cause

A software anomaly within the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) causes an additional 30 mA draw on the battery when passive locking is enabled and the vehicle is parked.

Correction

Use the Pass-Thru method when programming and select "Replace and Reprogram ECU."

A new calibration has been released to correct this condition. Reprogram the RCDLR using SPS. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB.

On Corvette models, prior to reprogramming, remove the Radio/S-Band/VICS 15-amp fuse and the HVAC/PWR SND 10-amp fuse from the I/P electrical center (passenger floor). Also, the ignition must be in the "Key On Engine Off" mode.

If the programming does not finish successfully and the RCDLR appears to be in a "locked-up" state, DO NOT turn off the ignition, it can be reset by removing the RCDLR fuse (# 11 in the UBEC) for at least 30 seconds and reinstalling it. If the ignition was turned to OFF after the "locked up" condition occurred, its possible to continue programming by adding the VIN manually in TIS.

Tip

Transmitter programming and tire pressure learn procedures are NOT necessary after this reprogram.

Please refer to SI for additional information on other potential causes of battery drain.
Does the dealer have to perform this proceedure??
Old 04-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Racer

Silly question....this won't effect my tune, will it?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Racer

Trickle chargered my battery and redid my mild to wild to "0 drain" install....hopefully that cures it or helps at the very least.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Does the dealer have to perform this proceedure??

I am wonder about the answer to this question, as well.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:53 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by 1268
Silly question....this won't effect my tune, will it?
Not so silly. I asked the same question of my service tech and was told in laymans terms. "No it goes somewhere different than the tune"

Clif
Old 05-26-2010, 02:26 AM
vettluver
Instructor

I contacted a reputable corvette dealer on behalf of my buddy who was having battery issues as well. The long and the short of the conversation was that batteries are disposable - just like the tires. When you start having trouble with the battery, buy a new one. He told me that the alternator in the car produces enough to run the car and not much more. This coupled with the fact that the electronics in the car take approximately 20 minutes to completely shut down after the car is shut off is what makes these machines hard on batteries. I'm not sure how much this shop foreman really knew, or if he was just trying to sell a battery.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:29 AM
mcrams
Burning Brakes

I just talked to a 2008 Z owner over the weekend. His battery was also driving him crazy, new battery no help. Found out it was the horn relay. He had never used the horn. I don't remember if there is a bulletin for this or not but this fixed his problem.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Racer

Mine has been fine since I rewired the mild to wild for the no drain connection and I no longer keep pressing my key fob for the security system to beep (that causes a drain).

Get notified of new replies

To Battery woes....

Quick Reply: [Z06] Battery woes....