Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] DIY: Foglite Brake Duct fabrication

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:00 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by gotjuice?
That is correct on a C6 Z06, The standard C6 is open to allow air to enter the radiator. It is only blocked off on the Z06.
That interesting. I've just owned a C6Z and was under the impression all C6's were blocked off.

Daniels' soon to be released foglite ducts will BE the hot ticket for track guys. They should allow those who already have spindle ducts from the lieks of LG, Quantum, etc to have a true forced air brake cooling system.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:29 PM
NC94Vette
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtiguy
That interesting. I've just owned a C6Z and was under the impression all C6's were blocked off.

Daniels' soon to be released foglite ducts will BE the hot ticket for track guys. They should allow those who already have spindle ducts from the lieks of LG, Quantum, etc to have a true forced air brake cooling system.
Yeah, I had a C6 before and made the wrong assumption that the Z06 also used the front lower dam for directing air over the radiator and oil cooler. I will be very interested to hear about (and see) the foglight duct solution when it is available. Much better cooling to the front brake rotors AND improved overall down-force by removing the front air dam sounds like a win/win to me ... assuming that the price for the kit is reasonable.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:08 AM
CWW17
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

is there any updates on this kit? I'm considering trying to do it on my own unless someone has a kit coming... better cooling, improved down force, AND you get rid of the fog lights! Rarely do high end cars have fog lights ie Ferrari, Aston, Lambo, Porsche etc.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:12 AM
0Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by CWW17
is there any updates on this kit? I'm considering trying to do it on my own unless someone has a kit coming... better cooling, improved down force, AND you get rid of the fog lights! Rarely do high end cars have fog lights ie Ferrari, Aston, Lambo, Porsche etc.
They will be available prior to the 2011 track season.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Z06 LOVER
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I am so tired of burning thru a set of pads in two track days. This is amazing, I just bought the same blowers and duct to put where the foglights are. I never thought of using the the actual lights as a mounting point. That solves so many issues.. what a great idea.

My only question is that it would be interesting to see what you did to attach the hose to the back of the rotor.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:29 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 LOVER
I am so tired of burning thru a set of pads in two track days. This is amazing, I just bought the same blowers and duct to put where the foglights are. I never thought of using the the actual lights as a mounting point. That solves so many issues.. what a great idea.

My only question is that it would be interesting to see what you did to attach the hose to the back of the rotor.
Quantum Motorsports or LG Motorsports brake cooling kit is what your inquiring about.

Quantum link: http://store.quantummotorsports.com/...th=12_26_27_31

LG link: http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=1752

Last edited by CGZO6; 12-26-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:26 AM
Z06 LOVER
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks CG... great info.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice kit. I am very interested when it becomes available.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:58 PM
peterpiper
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love it! Great idea. I'm also wondering about the airflow differences.... and what about the air that doesn't get pulled by the old ducts... does this reduce the amount of downforce since there is more air under the car now? (anyone have a wind tunnel? )

-pp
Old 01-08-2011, 10:06 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by peterpiper
Love it! Great idea. I'm also wondering about the airflow differences.... and what about the air that doesn't get pulled by the old ducts... does this reduce the amount of downforce since there is more air under the car now? (anyone have a wind tunnel? )

-pp
Just read on another thread here that stated while testing the ZO6 at the Nurburgring they had to to restrict the stock brake ducts because it was the culprit of high speed lift so take that for what its worth.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:13 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by peterpiper

-pp
I taped mine off. ( they will be covered completely with a custom splitter extension in 2011) Combine this with the removal of the lower air dam and the air just flows right under the car. I have no wind tunel data to support it but with these mods and an MTI "chin spoiler" ( Not a splitter) the car was noticably more stable at speeds over 120mph. I could notice a change in the car starting at 60-70mph.

I added a BPP diffuser later in the year ( 4 tip version) and the car is almost perfect. I'll test these next year at PPIR with some high speed banking.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:20 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Just read on another thread here that stated while testing the ZO6 at the Nurburgring they had to to restrict the stock brake ducts because it was the culprit of high speed lift so take that for what its worth.
...........by removing the air dam.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-09-2011, 10:29 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

air-dam=pressure under nose=increased lift...... take them off for track use. I sealed off the bottom of the OEM brake duct inlets so they only feed from the front. Certain is cools and handles better, but only a few non-timed events to back that up!
Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,952 Likes on 5,345 Posts

I taped mine off. ( they will be covered completely with a custom splitter extension in 2011) Combine this with the removal of the lower air dam and the air just flows right under the car. I have no wind tunel data to support it but with these mods and an MTI "chin spoiler" ( Not a splitter) the car was noticably more stable at speeds over 120mph. I could notice a change in the car starting at 60-70mph.

I added a BPP diffuser later in the year ( 4 tip version) and the car is almost perfect. I'll test these next year at PPIR with some high speed banking.
I have never noticed any instability in my Z at those speeds. From 120 to 154 it is rock steady on the track.

Bill
Old 01-10-2011, 04:17 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 119 Posts

I know this is the C6Z section, but will this vendor be making a version for the standard C6?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:59 AM
jls288gto
Advanced

(1) # THE-SS300 3" silicone hose ( I have an extra 9' if anyone needs some, make you a deal)

Racer
still have that hose?

Get notified of new replies

To DIY: Foglite Brake Duct fabrication

Old 02-19-2011, 02:10 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
I know this is the C6Z section, but will this vendor be making a version for the standard C6?
You need the ZO6 inner brake ducts (about 10 bucks ea from Gene), modify your front wheel well liner, add the ZO6 kit and your good to go.

A better option is to get the modified ZO6 ducts with the aluminum tube added to the outlet. More $ though. They are on the site...

http://store.quantummotorsports.com/...ffit0og5n7uk02

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=1752

Last edited by CGZO6; 02-19-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have never noticed any instability in my Z at those speeds. From 120 to 154 it is rock steady on the track.

Bill
These cars are nice but you never know what you are missing until you try it out..

I did notice more stability with the above aero mods, I can't imagine the difference one of those crazy rear wings adds to the car.

Example: I used to brake before entering turn 1 at PPIR at 125-130mph...not anymore, I have more front downforce. As a result, high-speed turn initiation no longer has as big of a "pucker factor" in my car.

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
That I do not know. I'm pretty sure the front facia/foglights differ form base C6 to Z06 models. However, I do not see any reason why you could not retrofit the upper section of the C6Z to the base C6 car. Combine these parts with one of the aforementioned spndle duct kits and its better than stock.

Originally Posted by jls288gto
still have that hose?
PM sent, I'm all out.

Originally Posted by CGZO6
You need the ZO6 inner brake ducts (about 10 bucks ea from Gene), modify your front wheel well liner, add the ZO6 kit and your good to go.

A better option is to get the modified ZO6 ducts with the aluminum tube added to the outlet. More $ though. They are on the site...

http://store.quantummotorsports.com/...ffit0og5n7uk02

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=1752
thats what I was talking about. at the very least the C6Z OEM UPPER assembly should be able to be retrofitted to base C6 cars. Jim dillion added fresh air pick-ups from the grill inlet to his system (although it is a C6Z) and said everything is working great with no cooling issues.

Here is another option for Base C6 guys...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-new-look.html
Old 03-10-2011, 01:00 AM
digitalellis
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Finspeed
They will be available prior to the 2011 track season.
I'm Looking forward to this product. Any updates?

Quick Reply: [Z06] DIY: Foglite Brake Duct fabrication