Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Would this be a wise purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:41 AM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dkal70
Wait for the right price for a stock 2010 C6Z, you'll have the improvements to dry sump oil system, launch control with a short throw shifter, to name a few.
Then choose to mod whenever you want, if not you have a warranty for peace of mind.
This makes sense to me also and probably a good plan also. I am not up on the annual improvements made to these cars quite yet. I guess it depends on how good a deal I can get on this car. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:54 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQJNKY
Great info and thanks for taking the time to lay it out that way. I appreciate all the feedback.
One thing that is missing is the value of a factory warranty or lack there of. vrs the value of the mods. Even though you would mod anyway the warranty adds value until you mod and in most markets for Vettes a stock one is more desirable to a perspective buyer.I would factor this into the value of this vehicle.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:24 PM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
One thing that is missing is the value of a factory warranty or lack there of. vrs the value of the mods. Even though you would mod anyway the warranty adds value until you mod and in most markets for Vettes a stock one is more desirable to a perspective buyer.I would factor this into the value of this vehicle.
Yes, and I completely agree. I am definately taking this into consideration when negotiating. The value of the car in my mind would be somewhat less with the factory power train warranty voided due to the mods.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:14 PM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Well I called Vette Doctors today and they remembered doing the work on the car and put me in touch with the previous owner. Greats guys over at Vette Doctors! The previous owner could not stop raving about the car and said he only sold it because he came across a business oppurtunity he couldn't pass up, then told me all about the cars upkeep, care, mods, storage, his driving habits and cars attitude when he owned it. He too was a great guy so their seems to be good karma with this car so far. He said he still has every item down to the nut and bolt that was taken off the car for the mods sitting in his shop and also told me what the dealer paid him for the car, so now I have a good place to start dealing from.

I called the dealership after that and listened to his sales pitch and set up an appt. to fly up to see the car with the info I now have to try and make a deal. Hopefully it's still there in two weeks when I can get up there.

Looks like a great car, so we will see what happens. I need to do some deal acrobatics to make this work, with my new house being built and all, but we will see what happens. I appreciate all the feedback from the forum to date and hopefully look forward to being a full fledged Z06 owner/member of the forum soon.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:06 PM
AMGPilot
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember that all 2010 Corvettes are 0% financing for 60 months right now also. $69,800 is wayyyyy to much for a used modded Corvette without a warranty. I would Run away!!!!

With all of the deals the Corvette Forum Dealers are giving I think I would go for a 2010 model

You should be able to get a 2010 2LZ for about the same price with 0% financing. Some of the Corvette Forum Dealers are offering $10,000 off. Definitely do some more shopping around. Good luck

Last edited by AMGPilot; 06-01-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:49 PM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

Received 334 Likes on 141 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

If you are set on a modded car, and "contemplating" a modded car from a dealer for 69k, why not find a low mile 07/08, and mod the car exactly the way you want to...which could most certainly be done for much less than 69k!!
Plus, I would never buy a modded car like that from a dealer. My thoughts are there is a reason that car is at a dealer, and it could be for a bad reason.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:19 PM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vette-Pilot
Just remember that all 2010 Corvettes are 0% financing for 60 months right now also. $69,800 is wayyyyy to much for a used modded Corvette without a warranty. I would Run away!!!!

With all of the deals the Corvette Forum Dealers are giving I think I would go for a 2010 model

You should be able to get a 2010 2LZ for about the same price with 0% financing. Some of the Corvette Forum Dealers are offering $10,000 off. Definitely do some more shopping around. Good luck
I hear what you are saying and trust me, there is no way I will pay $69K for this car knowing what that dealership paid the previous owner for it. If the dealership doesn't want to make a deal on this car, I will walk and find another car.

Now, looking at it your way, if I buy a 2010, the warranty will be void on the car in less than 6 months anyway. I am going to mod it, bottom line. So why do I want to pay $69K for a 2010 car then $10K on top of that for mods when I can get it all in the car I am looking at for about $15-20K less than what it would cost me going your route and still not have a warranty in the end? See my point.

Originally Posted by cmb396
If you are set on a modded car, and "contemplating" a modded car from a dealer for 69k, why not find a low mile 07/08, and mod the car exactly the way you want to...which could most certainly be done for much less than 69k!!
Plus, I would never buy a modded car like that from a dealer. My thoughts are there is a reason that car is at a dealer, and it could be for a bad reason.
Read my previous post just before "Vette Pilot's" post. The car is not at a typical Chevy or other used car dealer. It's at a high end car dealership parked on the show room next to pre-owned Lambo's, Ferrari's, Porsche's etc... I've spoken to Vette Doctors and the previous owner in great detail about the car and if decide to buy the car, I will have the car checked out top to bottom before buying something like this. The car has less than 100 miles on it since the previous owner sold it to the dealership. I've owned modded cars, some heavily, all my life, just not a Corvette that's why I came to this forum for input and I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I could definately go the 07/08 route, but don't want an 07 because of the previously reported engine issues. I could buy an 08 and have it modded, and that could be the route I go, if I this doesn't work out. I would prefer to buy it modded knowing that the car was modded by a reputable shop such as Vette Doctors, and seeing how I would probably take my car there to get modded anyway. Less down time, and hassle in the end. If the car had been modded at Jiffy Lube, it would be a different story.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:01 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Whoa! A high-end performance dealership and they have put nearly 100 miles on it since they bought it? If I owned a high-end dealership, it would have 0 miles on it since I bought it. Have the salesmen been taking the car for joy rides? Have they been taking out prospective customers and showing them what it can do? I would definitely be worried more about that 100 miles a lot more than the condition of the car before they bought it. A dealer putting that many miles on a car that he intends to showcase in the showroom just doesn't sound too good to me. Think about it then follow your heart.
Gary
Old 06-03-2010, 07:20 PM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 40YRW8
Whoa! A high-end performance dealership and they have put nearly 100 miles on it since they bought it? If I owned a high-end dealership, it would have 0 miles on it since I bought it. Have the salesmen been taking the car for joy rides? Have they been taking out prospective customers and showing them what it can do? I would definitely be worried more about that 100 miles a lot more than the condition of the car before they bought it. A dealer putting that many miles on a car that he intends to showcase in the showroom just doesn't sound too good to me. Think about it then follow your heart.
Gary
I figured I would get a response like this and you are right to have a questioning attitude about pre-owned vehicles, especially one like this.

So what your saying is, if you were the owner of a dealership who bought/sold cars of this caliber, you wouldn't take advantage of driving each one of them yourself to enjoy and most of all ensure you purchased a reliable high end car to resell, before you put it on your lot or showroom floor.

If I thought like this, there would be no used car on the planet that would be worth purchasing, moddified or not. You are correct, who knows, maybe the salesmen have taken it out for a joy ride. If I'm the owner of this dealership (and the actual owner of this car), my salesman would not be joy riding in my car nor would they be joy riding in the other $100K plus cars that put food on my table. And it sounds like what your saying is that a Corvette Z06 can't handle being driven a little spirited for 100 miles without having obvious issues from it. Maybe I need to think twice about buying a Corvette then. I can understand if the pedal was matted, on the rev limiter for 100 miles, that you might run into issues. I agree that there are idiots who go out and test drive cars just to beat on them and there are shaddy dealerships. If you owned this dealership, would you just throw the keys of this car to someone and allow them to go out and test drive it without going with them? Maybe this dealership does it, maybe they don't.

I will never know until I put my own hands on the car and have it checked out myself. If this car in not up to par, it will not get parked in my garage.

Last edited by TORQJNKY; 06-03-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Would this be a wise purchase?