Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dura-Lube

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 03:08 AM
Frosty-Z06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dura-Lube

First off DON'T SHOOT ME! New Z06 owner and well it's my first Vette as well. I've used dura lube additive in every one of my cars for the past oh say 15 years or so and had wonderful results.

Now I've got a race car and want to get many many miles out of it because it also happens to be my daily driver.

I love the product but how does that run with mobil1? Should I stay clear or be in the "well it can't hurt" category?

Old 07-17-2010, 03:37 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Welcome and Congrats on your Z06! I believe you will find most here in the "no additives" category as advised in the manual.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:43 AM
LMBTom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Engine wear due to how good your oil is is not an issue with LS engines (as long as you're using the minimum required oil).

I'd also like to say that I've been using synthetic oil in all my cars since ~1998 and have also had wonderful results (no engines dying, excessive wear, smoking, up to 200k miles)

My instinct is that dura-lube is a scam, but then again, I've never really needed to research it since I haven't needed a product like that.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:54 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frosty-Z06
First off DON'T SHOOT ME! New Z06 owner and well it's my first Vette as well. I've used dura lube additive in every one of my cars for the past oh say 15 years or so and had wonderful results.

Now I've got a race car and want to get many many miles out of it because it also happens to be my daily driver.

I love the product but how does that run with mobil1? Should I stay clear or be in the "well it can't hurt" category?

I'm assuming that you've used the Duralube with non-synthetic oils in the past. Lucas, Slick-50, Tufoil, Gunk, Militec-1, amongst others are additives that may or may not work and for some, provided piece of mind in the past when the choices were not as plentiful or were too costly to go straight synthetic (which wasn't always recommended with older cars). With today's high quality synthetic oils available I believe that it is unnecessary to add anything to the oil that would provide you with any benefit as far as longevity. I happen to use Redline Synthetic oil, change my oil twice a year regardless of mileage and for me that is all the piece of mind that I need.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most name brand oils already have highly engineered additive packages, and I don't mess with it. GM spec show's Mobil One with nothing else added for the Vette', so good enough for me. I've been using name brand synthetic's in all my car's for year's, and seem to go forever. Synthetic oil is chemically engineered from the begining to do a specific job, so not as high percentage additive package as standard dino oil that tend to burn off over time. Nothing at all wrong with modern dino oil for most application's, though. One of the big name auto part's places sometime's run's 2 for 1 pricing on several top brand synthetic's, so worthing looking out for. Remember, the more additive's, the less actual oil in the lubricating package.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:50 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does Duralube have ZDDP in it?
Old 07-18-2010, 04:25 AM
Frosty-Z06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Does Duralube have ZDDP in it?