Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] General Exclaim Tire Reviews or Other Tires Step in Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:30 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default General Exclaim Tire Reviews or Other Tires Step in Please

My Run-craps just turned 15,800 and they are pretty much done, not bald but getting close to the markers. So it's time to pony-up the $$$$ for some tires.

My car is mainly street driven, it mights see one or 2 track events a year, but that will be in the future since I am still learning the car.

The cheapest price for street tires seem to be the General UHP tires. I would like some more feedback however from those of you that have had them a while. I did do some reasearch, this link turned out to be the most helpful thus far..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...z-sizes-3.html

I realize any non-runflat tires is going to be softer and "feel" a little sloppier in handeling, but just how much is the question.

I am not going to buy the PS2's or GY again, just too damn expensive. I was thinking about the Nitto Invo's but have also read mixed reviews.
The other issue I have with tire reviews on-line is that unless it's for the same car (in my case a Z06) the reviews to me don't mean squat since cars are so different in weight, suspension etc etc...

So reading that a Nitto did great on a Mustang, or Acura is of no value to me. I have run BFGKDW2's and Yokahama tires on my old modded C5 and was pretty happy with them...but not sure if they even make those in Z stock sizes.

What say you fellow Z06 brothers??

Last edited by FrankTank; 09-02-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I run z06 General Exclaims on my c6 w/widebody. The tires are excellent. More traction than my old runflats/ps2s. Low road noise, etc. Slightly softer on turn in, but more grip. The only downside is that they don't have the "fancy" Goodyear or Michelin name on them (of which I could care less).
Old 08-26-2010, 11:43 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Stage7
I run z06 General Exclaims on my c6 w/widebody. The tires are excellent. More traction than my old runflats/ps2s. Low road noise, etc. Slightly softer on turn in, but more grip. The only downside is that they don't have the "fancy" Goodyear or Michelin name on them (of which I could care less).
Thanks for the feedback, and that is pretty much in line with what I have read so far... I don't care about the fancy logo or brand name either if the tire performs well

Who else?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:51 AM
shifter77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what i read, there good for the road.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:52 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Save up and pay extra for the Michelin PS2ZPs. If you weren't on the other side of the country, I'd give you a ride in my 08 and you won't look for any other tire.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:03 PM
El Paso Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I replaced the GY tires with Bridgestone Potenzas RFT tires and am very happy. The comfort of the ride is terrific and the handling is equal to the GY tires. Look up the tire thread and see what you think. All of the these tires are expensive so get the one that best suits you. For me it was the Bridgestones.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:19 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by 383vett
Save up and pay extra for the Michelin PS2ZPs. If you weren't on the other side of the country, I'd give you a ride in my 08 and you won't look for any other tire.
Thanks I do believe in "you get what you pay for" so I can understand they do live up to the price-tag somewhat.

Originally Posted by El Paso Vette
I replaced the GY tires with Bridgestone Potenzas RFT tires and am very happy. The comfort of the ride is terrific and the handling is equal to the GY tires. Look up the tire thread and see what you think. All of the these tires are expensive so get the one that best suits you. For me it was the Bridgestones.
I have looked at the Potenzas also, was kicking that option around. How many miles do you have on them?
Old 08-26-2010, 12:30 PM
LanceFitzgiben
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll let you know what I think of the generals in a few days.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:38 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

When I was buying tires ~year ago I too looked at the Generals. I wasn't able to get past the fact that you loose an inch of rubber on the rear in width so I went with the Invos.....which I hated from the get go. Horrible turn in and a general "marshmallowy" feeling.

I replaced them with the NT-05's & couldn't be happier. The only downside is I don't see them lasting more than about 5k miles. Which is not a big deal for me,I replace tires when they begin to lose grip,not by the wear indicator bars.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

"Sooner or later you'll own Generals." But NOT on my Z06.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:19 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Love my Generals...my Z is a DD and with all the recent rains here in Florida they have been awesome...dry/wet whatever they hook up great. If it makes you feel better to pay 2-3 times as much and replace them more often be my guest.....wish I had your money

I have the BFG KDWs on my SC 99 and if they were available for the Z I would have got them...

Last edited by pewter99; 08-26-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:31 PM
srobert910
Burning Brakes

Received 1,138 Likes on 466 Posts

I had a set on my last C6 and loved them. pretty quiet tire and great wet traction. For everyone that dismisses this tire because of the brand, I would take a second look. Also General tire is part of Continental AG, and I think you'll find that they have quite a few similarities.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:51 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by redzone
When I was buying tires ~year ago I too looked at the Generals. I wasn't able to get past the fact that you loose an inch of rubber on the rear in width so I went with the Invos.....which I hated from the get go. Horrible turn in and a general "marshmallowy" feeling.

I replaced them with the NT-05's & couldn't be happier. The only downside is I don't see them lasting more than about 5k miles. Which is not a big deal for me,I replace tires when they begin to lose grip,not by the wear indicator bars.
yea I read about the loose an inch of rubber on the rear width and also saw a picture and they did look a little narrower.

I can't really afford to only get 5k miles out of a set of tires, so not sure I can go with the NT-05. Thanks for the feedback on the Invo's also have read alot of the same.
Originally Posted by Lawdogg
"Sooner or later you'll own Generals." But NOT on my Z06.
Please elaborate...obviously you dont care for them..

Originally Posted by pewter99
Love my Generals...my Z is a DD and with all the recent rains here in Florida they have been awesome...dry/wet whatever they hook up great. If it makes you feel better to pay 2-3 times as much and replace them more often be my guest.....wish I had your money

I have the BFG KDWs on my SC 99 and if they were available for the Z I would have got them...
Thanks Yea I was disappointed when I realized that too about the KDW's

Sounds like you really like them (Generals) also. I don't have the $$$ either to pay 2-3 times and replace often So I that is kinda why I am considering the Generals

Originally Posted by srobert910
I had a set on my last C6 and loved them. pretty quiet tire and great wet traction. For everyone that dismisses this tire because of the brand, I would take a second look. Also General tire is part of Continental AG, and I think you'll find that they have quite a few similarities.
Thanks for the feedback My biggest concern, even though my car is mainly street-driven is the narrow rear tire on the Generals, and also just how "mushy" the turning is. When I went from the Run-flats on my C5, to the KDW2's, at first I did knot like the softer compound, and "softer" turning, but aftre theKDW's got a few miles on them they really impressed me. So I am prepared for a softer feel, that is just natural when going from a stiff-run crap tire to a softer rubber, but I guess to what degree of "soft" do I like.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

FrankTank, as you can see. The people to own and use the Generals on the street rave about them. Which is why they're gonna be going on my Z06 soon, so what if they're .5 inch less contact patch.....they allegedly grip BETTER then the GY's in a straight line, much better in wet, better in colder weather, way better treadlife. You already are prepared for the slightly less turn in but honestly for a street tire the pros heavily outweight the cons.

BTW Invo's have less treadlife, can cause TC/AH messages if ordered with non-oem sizes (345 rear...if you go with 325 rear they ALSO are narrower then stock GY's anyway) and have had alot more mixed reviews from users then the Generals.

The final blow is the price, for Generals I was quoted $870 for all 4 mounted/balanced/ installed.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:14 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the Generals for a year and LOVE them. As stated they are softer, but provide more grip. Overally your car will handle better, it will just ride a bit softer and turn in a bit softer, but once it is turned, the grip is BETTER than Goodyears. YOu really can't go wrong and they are 1000% better in the rain.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:03 PM
tjea
Instructor

Just replaced the GY OEMs withthe new GY G2s. so far they seem quieter and just seem to take the edge out of that skitishness. Took a spirited ride last weekend. Felt good
Old 08-26-2010, 04:17 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
FrankTank, as you can see. The people to own and use the Generals on the street rave about them. Which is why they're gonna be going on my Z06 soon, so what if they're .5 inch less contact patch.....they allegedly grip BETTER then the GY's in a straight line, much better in wet, better in colder weather, way better treadlife. You already are prepared for the slightly less turn in but honestly for a street tire the pros heavily outweight the cons.

BTW Invo's have less treadlife, can cause TC/AH messages if ordered with non-oem sizes (345 rear...if you go with 325 rear they ALSO are narrower then stock GY's anyway) and have had alot more mixed reviews from users then the Generals.

The final blow is the price, for Generals I was quoted $870 for all 4 mounted/balanced/ installed.
Thanks I am really leaning toward them. Most of the feedback as you mention has been positive. Good to see. I've read enough about the Invo's to pretty much count them out.

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Had the Generals for a year and LOVE them. As stated they are softer, but provide more grip. Overally your car will handle better, it will just ride a bit softer and turn in a bit softer, but once it is turned, the grip is BETTER than Goodyears. YOu really can't go wrong and they are 1000% better in the rain.
Thanks Great feedback, and I was curious to see someone like you who has had them for a while and put a few miles on them how they are doing.

Originally Posted by tjea
Just replaced the GY OEMs withthe new GY G2s. so far they seem quieter and just seem to take the edge out of that skitishness. Took a spirited ride last weekend. Felt good
By GY2, you mean the newer Good Year Run-flats? How many miles do you have on them? They all do good when they are new, but my fear with another run-flat tires is after a few thousan miles they get too hard and are very noisy.

Get notified of new replies

To General Exclaim Tire Reviews or Other Tires Step in Please

Old 08-26-2010, 05:39 PM
matteo
Instructor

I have both the General UHP's and a set of NT05's on 2 sets of rims. I've found that the General's are great street tires, especially since the winter really chews up the roads where I live. (Montreal, Canada). They ride much smoother, softer, and are quieter than the Goodyears, and have all the traction you should ever need, especially in the wet. They're too soft for the track and I'm a HPDS instructor, so I track the car about once a month. I believe that the NT05's are a really good compromise for the track since I don't have a trailer and have to drive sometimes fairly long distances to get the car to an event. The ride with the Nt05's is much harsher than the UHP's, but if you live in an area where the roads are usually real smooth, you will love the Nitto's. Both are very good tires, at a great price.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:01 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

I was on a track last April (temp was 65F) there were 2 of us in similar Z06's.
I had clapped out OEM Goodyears and he had the Generals. We were the only ones on a 2.7 mile road course. The ONLY ones. Anyway, I could stay with him for about half a 17 turn lap, then my tires would totally "go away." I was understeering bigtime. (Of course my pressures went up to 38PSI,) 30 cold. I never could get the tires to recover to charge so I had to go really slow to let the tires cool. He was having no trouble in mid turn and had 2-3 mph on me in mid turn (apex.) I could go quicker but I'd plow the field off the track too. He also may have been a better driver too, but his car sure stuck in the turns.

My GY tires had about 8500 miles on them at the time. I was so impressed with the Generals that I chatted with the driver about them. He said he bought them strictly because of the price point, and wasn't aware of their superiority on the track until that day. Now, I just checked pricing for Generals @ my local Walmart and they are available but couldn't quote a price. (New girl behind the counter didn't know anything.)
She asked what kind of car takes a "325?" I told her a Prius!

Last edited by NORTY; 08-26-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:45 PM
07AOZO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I purchased the Bridgestone RE050A Potenza RFT's a month or so ago. In a word : fantastic! Highly recommend and will definately buy them again. Great handling, great ride, lower noise than OEM's and they look good. I do not track the car so cannot offer an opinion there but for the street you can't go wrong.

Quick Reply: [Z06] General Exclaim Tire Reviews or Other Tires Step in Please