Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Are all ZR1 knock off front splitters created equal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:55 PM
12oh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My apr carbon splitter ripped off at about 175. I don't think the flex is a concern until speeds over 150+. I believe the yellow z in the posted pic is traveling at speeds between 175-200+. I plan on purchasing a apsis zr1 splitter in fiberglass painted matte black. I think it's $500 painted/shipped. I just hope I can use the Katech fascia reinforcement as My car sees 140+ ALOT!
Old 09-06-2010, 01:16 AM
Bauker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BEZ06
NO!!! They aren't all the same!!!

I busted my OE splitter when I tangled with a road gator. I got a Katech replacement, and I think it's better than OE and a lot cheaper.

Below is a picture of my busted OE splitter on the bottom and the Katech one on top. This is the bottom side of both splitters, and you can see that the Katech one has a lip that extends back underneath, and you can see a bunch of holes in it. On the inside of the lip there is a nut bonded on the other side of each hole.

Those holes/nuts are to attach the Katech undertray if you want even better aerodynamic benefit from the splitter.

Katech also has brake ducts that attach to direct cooling airflow to your brakes.

No matter whose splitter you put on a Z06, you really need to install the reinforcing piece (it's OE on the ZR1 and can purchased from GM distributing sources, or Katech makes one).

Below is a picture taken during Katech's testing and made them realize that the ZR1 reinforcing piece was required to keep the fascia/grill opening from deforming into that C6 smilie face:

Without the reinforcing piece, several owners have had the splitter on their Z06 deform the fascia so that the splitter drags on the road surface and busts off even at highway speeds.

For the same reason, urethane or any flexible splitter just won't work. The splitter creates quite a bit of downforce (as you can see in the picture above), and a flexible splitter would just, well, flex. It would flex down, probably fold under, and rip itself up on the highway.

Bob
How does the carbon fiber compare to the GM oem piece? Is the finish smooth and when images are mirrored in it's reflection are they distorted? Is the design between the two pretty much identical?

Last edited by Bauker; 09-06-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:23 AM
blaine123
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gotjuice?
Take a look at the LG unit. I have that one and it is made with the undertray attached. It is a very nice fitting/looking splitter.
+1 Good example showing that all the brands of front splitters are not equal.....
Old 09-06-2010, 08:53 AM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

I was thinking of purchasing one at Carlisle, observed many (RPI, Breathless Performance, Apsis) but the one IMO that was superior to others was from this company called ACS, www.acscomposite.com ,they had by far the best raw finish
Old 09-06-2010, 09:37 AM
jmorgan07z06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+2 for LG's flat bottom ZR1 splitter.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:26 AM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

The LG splitter is made by ACS
Old 09-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Mr. Hyde
Pro

I purchased the entire ZR1 body kit from RPI. Great fit and finish. I also bought two braces that come stock on the ZR1 for the splitter but not what you see posted above, it has helped a bit, I have had the car at 150MPH with the splitter and no probs, again it might be a problem at higher speeds, and I have also lowered the car before the kit anyway.
My take on RPI quality.
The very next day after installing the kit on my way to work I hit a piece of tire rubber at 65MPH, NO damage done to the splitter at all!!!
I thought that it was going to be torn off.
Fast forward a year later, and a car's catalytic converter fell off right in front of me in an intersection, and I nailed it. This time I wasn't as fortunate.
BUT...the damage was very small. I will need to replace it.
< this pic in my avatar is AFTER the damage done by the cat. Not too bad. RPI gets a big thumbs up from me!
Old 09-06-2010, 12:33 PM
floridaspeed
Advanced

I am also shopping around for a nice splitter. Does anyone know if the Katech, LG, and OEM ZR1 style splitters are all the same size? I know there are some differences when it comes to the under trays but I was more concerned with the size, how far it sticks out from the front bumper.

I am leaning towards the Katach now since it seems to be one of the more functional units, adding the under tray and brake duct extensions in the future.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:39 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Bauker
How does the carbon fiber compare to the GM oem piece? Is the finish smooth and when images are mirrored in it's reflection are they distorted? Is the design between the two pretty much identical?
Take a look at the thread below. I took a bunch of pics of the Katech next to the OE piece for comparison and they look virtually identical, except for Katech's extended lip underneath to attach their undertray if you want to get it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-splitter.html

Also, the OE carbon fiber pieces all have a weird greenish/yellowish tint, and although you can't see any difference in the pics, the Katech carbon fiber is a much nicer dark gray/black.

Bob
Old 09-06-2010, 12:51 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Take a look at the thread below. I took a bunch of pics of the Katech next to the OE piece for comparison and they look virtually identical, except for Katech's extended lip underneath to attach their undertray if you want to get it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-splitter.html

Also, the OE carbon fiber pieces all have a weird greenish/yellowish tint, and although you can't see any difference in the pics, the Katech carbon fiber is a much nicer dark gray/black.

Bob
WIth the Katech under tray, don't you have to remove the front OEM dam to make it fit? I seem to recall problems with undertrays installed in Porsche 911, specifically the heat dissipation issues, no problems here? Sealing off the underneath for the purpose of aerodynamics is a great idea but for daily driving, especially in hot weather, I think I'd be concerned...
Old 09-06-2010, 12:57 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde
I purchased the entire ZR1 body kit from RPI. Great fit and finish. I also bought two braces that come stock on the ZR1 for the splitter but not what you see posted above, it has helped a bit, I have had the car at 150MPH with the splitter and no probs, again it might be a problem at higher speeds, and I have also lowered the car before the kit anyway.
What braces are these? Do they require bumper removal? I must have missed these parts looking on RPI website. Lowering the car would help me think, although the car somehow sits lower than my old Z51 base which I really cannot figure (it looks taller?)
Old 09-06-2010, 01:10 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by petermj
WIth the Katech under tray, don't you have to remove the front OEM dam to make it fit? I seem to recall problems with undertrays installed in Porsche 911, specifically the heat dissipation issues, no problems here? Sealing off the underneath for the purpose of aerodynamics is a great idea but for daily driving, especially in hot weather, I think I'd be concerned...
The bottom is already sealed on a Z06.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:53 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gotjuice?
The bottom is already sealed on a Z06.
to the air dam from what I see. If the undertray does not extend beyond the dam, I am not sure how does this really do? I am guessing this undertray fills in the center indentation in the underneath of the bumper?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

The undertray extends all the way back to the leading edge of the wheelhouse opening. Yes it eliminates the air dam, but since the Z06 is a front-breather there are no adverse effects on cooling.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I had the APR carbon splitter on my car. It looked good from 5 feet away. Never cared for the tiny grain of the carbon weave though. The undertray was nice though. Quality-wise, it was so-so. Kinda sloppy looking in the brake vent areas.

Replaced it with the Katech carbon, which is excellent quality. I kinda wish some company would make one with a molded-in aluminum lower lip though, just to minimize any oops factor damage when it drags on something. Carbon tends to shred when contacted, it would be nice to have a built-in scuff plate that could take some abuse for street driving.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:42 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
The undertray extends all the way back to the leading edge of the wheelhouse opening. Yes it eliminates the air dam, but since the Z06 is a front-breather there are no adverse effects on cooling.
Isn't the OEM dam functioning the same it did on C5? Front breather is one thing but air circulation may be another?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:44 AM
MBR44
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RPI doesn't offer the support pieces. You need to go to partstaxi and order them.

Get notified of new replies

To Are all ZR1 knock off front splitters created equal?

Old 09-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 12oh
My apr carbon splitter ripped off at about 175. I don't think the flex is a concern until speeds over 150+. I believe the yellow z in the posted pic is traveling at speeds between 175-200+. I plan on purchasing a apsis zr1 splitter in fiberglass painted matte black. I think it's $500 painted/shipped. I just hope I can use the Katech fascia reinforcement as My car sees 140+ ALOT!
I have the full Katech package with undertray and I have had my car to 185 MPH with no issues. I have the GM facia support because when I installed mine Katech did not have theirs developed yet.

Jim
Old 09-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Isn't the OEM dam functioning the same it did on C5? Front breather is one thing but air circulation may be another?
No, it doesn't work the same as on a C5.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:50 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
No, it doesn't work the same as on a C5.
I see... I guess I got confused after looking under the car and seeing where the brake ducts and the radiator were located vs. the location of dam and that indent in the bottom section of the bumper. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Are all ZR1 knock off front splitters created equal?