Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Just looked at a 2011 Z06 Black with the Z07 Package

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Artgirl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Hirohawa;1575415704]
Originally Posted by Artgirl
Gee. . . that was hard.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lambo...fCarsQ5fTrucks

It's crazy how people think exotics don't get slammed with depreciation. That's almost 50% down on a new one with less than 20K miles in 6 years.

Thanks for posting that.
Particularly in the current economy, automobile depreciation is a great "given". Most new cars depreciate somewhere between 40-50% in the first three years. Lows miles changes it a little, but most often, not at all. There are some manufacturers that limit production to such an extreme that their cars hold value much better, and then other manufacturers artificially maintain high residual values through aggressive leasing programs. But in most cases, depreciation is still inevitable. I think I mentioned this in another post. A $100k car is going to depreciate at the rate of ~$1000-1300 per month. May as well drive the hell out of it.

Last edited by Artgirl; 09-23-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Artgirl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Now you are talking about used cars..keep moving that target.
Have you actually READ this thread. . . at all?

In my very first post and every post since then I've referred to used european cars. And I make to apologies for comparing used to new because at $100k I'd still prefer a used low miles Ferrari or Lamborghini over a new ZR1.

Insecure or just ignorant? Are you seriously stating they are not tremendous values?
I think its time you put the kool-aid down and looked in the mirror.

I've stated before that I like the Z06. However, I've also stated that I do not think a Z06 or ZR1 are TREMENDOUS values if purchased at msrp or near that. Seriously. Do I need to say it again? Is any soon-to-be buyer here on this forum SERIOUSLY thinking about paying msrp for one of these? I doubt it.

If I can buy a very low miles Ferrari or Lamborghini for the price of a new Z06 or ZR1, that's where I'd spend my money. I've already given you the Lambo example and I have a convertible Ferrari example at $69.9k. Its at my local dealership.

When we talk about the ~$40-45k range of a used Z06, then I'm seriously thinking about a Z06 as a second car.

You own neither and likely never will, so you really have no idea what you are talking about.
Not sure what bits of matter you're stringing together to reach that conclusion.

I've never owned a Z06 or ZR1. . .might own a used Z06 in the near future. However, I've driven both cars extensively, along with Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, Audi R8s, Lotus, and just about everything else that's fun. . . again. . . extensively. Its one of the advantages of living in Los Angeles. They rent ANYTHING here. Consequently, its highly likely that I'm at least as qualified as you. . . if not more so. . . to discuss the matter.

Look. . . you love Corvettes. I like the Z06 too. I'm not trying to change your opinion. I sense that you've reached the conclusion that I'm just a delirious Corvette-hating ***. . . which isn't true. . . and reading through all my posts in this thread its clear that there's really nothing else left for me to say. You've made your position crystal clear. I stand by mine.

Thanks for participating. I'm sure everyone else is as bored with this as I am now, so I won't detract any further from everyone's enjoyment of this forum.

Peace.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:17 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Consequently, its highly likely that I'm at least as qualified as you. . . if not more so. . . to discuss the matter.
Yeah, I keep forgetting you're a chick. lol
Old 09-23-2010, 08:24 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Notch
The people I know who own $100+ sports cars exhibit the traits I have mentioned in my posts. These traits are not just my opinion...they are factual.
A friend of mine I've known since highschool has owned just about every performance car made to date. You might have heard of him. SW. He'll give you a pretty good opinion, based on his ownership and racing, what he prefers. Hint: His dedicated track car is a Z06.

When referred to "those kind of people", I was being very specific to the attitudes a couple here are displaying. I know the majority of people that buy those expensive toys that I know do it because of the performance they have and the reputation they have earned.

My whole point is I'm sick of people, that don't even own these cars, fantasizing about which is best and which is a high value, and which isn't.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Notch
Safety Car

I know the majority of people that buy those expensive toys that I know do it because of the performance...
Once again...did I ever say performance was not important?

My whole point is I'm sick of people, that don't even own these cars, fantasizing about which is best and which is a high value, and which isn't.
But you shouldn't be because...

1. It doesn't take owning any of the cars to form an opinion of the cars.

2. "Best" and "high value" are personal opinions/decisions. Allowing people to have their own personal opinion is a reasonable approach in life. Not everybody buying high end sports cars considers objective performance numbers to be the deciding litmus test in terms of which car to buy. That's a personal choice, and it's their money...and I personally think people should be OK with that. It doesn't make their decision "wrong", and it doesn't in any way impact your personal decision concerining what car to buy.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:54 PM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Casual car people maybe. Regular people. . . probably not. Here's a test. . . ask some women if they know what a Corvette is, and then ask them if they know what a Z06 or ZR1 are? Or show them a picture of a ZR1 and ask them if they know what it is? I'll bet none will say ZR1. At best, they'll know its a Corvette. Most non-car guys will be the same.
So the reason you drive a car is to impress regular people..... Got it...
Old 09-23-2010, 09:53 PM
ZenOhSix
Instructor

Originally Posted by racezx9
So the reason you drive a car is to impress regular people..... Got it...
Man.. Some of you are being brutal on Artgirl and Notch. I actually agree with many of their opinions, but would dare to say so as a few of you made it personal...

As in my earlier post, I DO own a Z06. I love it. I love every bit. I also have driven other very nice cars, owned a variety of sports cars, and have love for the Corvette.

Everyone wants a neat looking car. Like I said before, opinions are often the same by a lot of people. It isn't because I care what others like, but it is that I also like what others like. I think due to the mass market of the Corvette itself, the subtle differences of a ZR1 and Z06 hurts the ability to hold some of the similiar traits that other 100k+ cars have; very distinct styling.

This takes nothing away from how neat the ZR1 or Z06 is, but rather something that makes it have to show off its other traits to compete in that market space; which it does very well. Not every car is for everyone, point and case with this thread. But, I do know that the Z06 is for me.

BTW, I do know SW; back in the Supra/RX7 days did some TX events. Back then, I had my 3 rotor RX-7 and ran the RX7Forum. But since you know SW, you also know he is of a different breed. I wouldn't quite compare him to your average $100k+ car owner.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:05 PM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wrong.

Those of us who said we'd buy something else with our $100k, simply find other cars in that price range more appealing than the ZR1. No insecurity about it. In fact, those that get so defensive appear to harbor far more insecurity. I grew up fantasizing about Ferraris and Lamborghinis. That's what I'd buy if I was looking to spend $80- $100k for a sports car. If you or others lust after a ZR1, that's great.

Its a little irrelevant to bring a guy that owns enough cars to occupy three warehouses, some of which now cost over $1 million, into a debate about which ONE to buy. And although Leno owns Corvettes, he owned Lamborghinis, Jaguars, Mercedes, et al well before he owned his first Corvette.

Also, if you re-read the thread you'll notice that I've mentioned on several occasions that I thought the Z06 offered a tremendous value proposition if bought properly. I like the car. I'm thinking about buying one. That's why I'm on this forum. Its at the $100k price point that options other than a Corvette are more attractive TO ME. You seem to be REALLY annoyed that I and a few others feel that way, whereas I have no problem if you aspire to a ZR1. We never said YOU should buy something else for $100k. We simply said WE would buy something else.

First of all compare used exotic to new ZR 1 is just off base. The whole discussion is compare a value proposition based on what performance level it brings for the money. In which case you have to compare new to new, since the used Lamborghini and Ferraris are not at the level of a ZR1. All exotic car buyer should thank the C6 corvette, since they push the price to performance like no other car before it. At a 100 k. There are not much you can get, other than the brand, but if that is what you are looking for at 100k, then that is what you should get, but this is a car forum for vettes and most people hold their vetoes at a high value and above the Euros. I grew up loving porsches and had my first one at 18, and always thoughts vetoes were below me, until the c6 Z06 this changed how I see vetes now. i have fiends that have had exotic and they bought them new at MSRP (if you know exotics, you would know they are sold at MSRP PERIOD, especially Ferraris.). They have also been converted to the new vetoes, one just bought a call away over a Gallardo. I will probably buy a used Ferrari Testarosa at some point, to realize past miami Vice teenage dream. But for the money elven at 100k. There is no better performance car, period.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:10 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 922 Likes on 578 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

1. It doesn't take owning any of the cars to form an opinion of the cars.
No kidding. Hey! My opinion can beat up your opinion!

Isn't about time for this thread to end?
Old 09-24-2010, 03:40 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, I keep forgetting you're a chick. lol
What an ignorant response.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:40 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wjnjr
No kidding. Hey! My opinion can beat up your opinion!

Isn't about time for this thread to end?
Long overdue.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:00 PM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EViL427
Sounds like you're more interested in what other people think about what you drive as opposed to the enjoyment you get while driving. I could care less what other people think. It's not about them. It's about me.

You've nailed it; I also couldn't care less what other people think. I personally can afford just about any car I desire, and I'm loving my ZO6. I say, as long as money isn't an issue, buy whatever makes you happy.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:06 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GMuffley
What an ignorant response.
Date women?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Date women?
Are you on furlough?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Trying to figure out why new ZR1/Z06 is being compared to older used and slower exotics which are a nightmare to own out of warranty......then the ZR1/Z06 is said to be a poor value????

How about comparing new Lambo/Ferrari to a new ZR1/Z06? Suddenly things change and BTW. Good luck trying to buy a new Ferrari 458, from what I've been reading you have to be a previous Ferrari owner, pretty much overpay for the car, oh and you have to be on a waiting list for YEARS!!
Hmmmm, yet the ZR1 is a poor value??
Old 09-24-2010, 06:17 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Are you on furlough?
No. And we're recalling right now and should have everyone back (who wants to come back to this funeral parlor) by early 2011.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Notch
Safety Car

No. And we're recalling right now and should have everyone back (who wants to come back to this funeral parlor) by early 2011.
Good news!

Get notified of new replies

To Just looked at a 2011 Z06 Black with the Z07 Package

Old 09-26-2010, 08:40 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

A friend of mine I've known since highschool has owned just about every performance car made to date. You might have heard of him. SW. He'll give you a pretty good opinion, based on his ownership and racing, what he prefers. Hint: His dedicated track car is a Z06.
I'm friends with him too. His fastest car is a Supra, and his favorite car is currently his Lambo G. SW isn't as narrow minded as you appear to be, he loves all car types and brands.

If you've known him since high school, you sure do act like you are 15 on the internet, when you are likely in your 40s. Sad.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:41 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NineBall
I'm friends with him too. His fastest car is a Supra, and his favorite car is currently his Lambo G. SW isn't as narrow minded as you appear to be, he loves all car types and brands.

If you've known him since high school, you sure do act like you are 15 on the internet, when you are likely in your 40s. Sad.
Yeah, I just ate lunch with him yesterday. He's selling his black lambo and bought Rahal's orange superleggera (same mods).

I made my point earlier, the rest is humor.

Sorry you are sad. Tissue?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:55 AM
HBJG
Racer

Originally Posted by Halltech
Holy crap, what happened to my thread?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Just looked at a 2011 Z06 Black with the Z07 Package