Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Snapped axle on Runflats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:02 AM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snapped axle on Runflats?

Im sure alot of people have snapped axles in a Z. However, has anyone snapped one in a bone stock car with over 17K on factory runflats?...unfortunatly I did.

The car is under warranty. Havent taken anything apart yet so there may be more damage but the tire is slashed and the barrell of the wheel is totally destoyed. Will the wheel and tire be covered too?

This happened when I hit 2nd. I have experienced slight wheelhop in second before but this was imediately when I banged second. This has me pretty concerned because I plan on adding another 75HP over the winter and picking up DR's. I dont run my car hard all the time but when I do....I dont baby it.

"This happened on a very sticky road"
Old 10-17-2010, 10:15 AM
-DoC-
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It must just be me but I've never had a wheel hop issue yet...maybe the roads around here aren't as sticky...and now that I've had more work done to the car the tires spin even more freely.

Hopefully they will cover everything for you.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:19 AM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Rod
Im sure alot of people have snapped axles in a Z. However, has anyone snapped one in a bone stock car with over 17K on factory runflats?...unfortunatly I did.

The car is under warranty. Havent taken anything apart yet so there may be more damage but the tire is slashed and the barrell of the wheel is totally destoyed. Will the wheel and tire be covered too?

This happened when I hit 2nd. I have experienced slight wheelhop in second before but this was imediately when I banged second. This has me pretty concerned because I plan on adding another 75HP over the winter and picking up DR's. I dont run my car hard all the time but when I do....I dont baby it.

No need for concern!!! Wheel hop can break anything. If you have been wheel hopping and staying in on it then it's your right foot thats the cause of this failure!!!

Drag radials keep you from wheel hopping for the most part so you are better off with them!! I have been running drag radials for a year with 100rwhp more than stock and I haven't had any issues!!

Now I have over 150rwhp than stock with a totally stock drive line... Three launches at the track and numerous runs outside without any failures!!

Therefore, please let off when you have wheel hop and you should be fine for a long time!!!

Last edited by JDMUSCLE; 10-17-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Drag radials will help the wheel hop, but they are hard on the clutch.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:37 AM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
No need for concern!!! Wheel hop can break anything. If you have been wheel hopping and staying in on it then it's your right foot thats the cause of this failure!!!

Drag radials keep you from wheel hopping for the most part so you are better off with them!! I have been running drag radials for a year with 100rwhp more than stock and I haven't had any issues!!

Now I have over 150rwhp than stock with a totally stock drive line... Three launches at the track and numerous runs outside without any failures!!

Therefore, please let off when you have wheel hop and you should be fine for a long time!!!
Yea I think picking up some DR's is a must for me. My last C6 had some extreme wheelhop on street tires at the track to the point I had to let out of it. However, when I experienced wheel hop with the Z it was very light....like one or two hops and then hook and go.

I have only experienced it when I hit 2nd in both of my vettes. Maybe I am rushing my shift or something.

Im still a rookie with alot to learn so maybe I'm doing something wrong but I feel I am a decent driver. On my 8th run ever in any car I ran a 11.77 @121 in a horrible DA (bone stock with 17K miles on my runflats). However, if I am breaking stuff maybe I'm not as "decent" as I thought. When I shift I shift as fast as I possibly can. Maybe I should slow my 1st-2nd?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:38 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

What year is your car ? While wheel hop will destroy any axle, starting in 2009 all Z06's got the strengthened axles that are also installed on the ZR1.
If/when you experience wheel hop, get out of the throttle immediatly
Old 10-17-2010, 10:45 AM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
What year is your car ? While wheel hop will destroy any axle, starting in 2009 all Z06's got the strengthened axles that are also installed on the ZR1.
If/when you experience wheel hop, get out of the throttle immediatly
Its an '06. Its not like a wheel hop that goes on and on for a while where you can react fast and get out of it. Its literally like 2 hops that you cant even see on the video. Snap your fingers as fast as you can twice and thats all it is. I guess it was enough to do it though.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:50 AM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

Ive seen people bounce down the track for like like 40ft while wheel hopping and I'm always cringing thinking "GET OUT OF IT". I promise I never did anything like that. If I did that I wouldnt even have posted on here. I was just really suprised that the slight wheel hop could break a Z06 axle. Ill post a video later so you can see....you cant even tell I am wheel hoping.

Last edited by D-Rod; 10-17-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:55 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Ive seen people bounce down the track for like like 40ft while wheel hopping and I'm always cringing thinking "GET OUT OF IT". I promise I never did anything like that. If I did that I wouldnt even have posted on here. I was just really suprised that the slight wheel hop could break a Z06 axle. Ill post a video later so you cant see....you cant even tell I am wheel hoping.
Mine's an 06 as well. I think I heard that early build 06's were even more prone to broken axles when experiencing wheel hop.
Upgrade to the newer 09+ axles and you'll be OK, but no axle is impervious to the dreaded wheel hop syndrome.

I can also tell you that swapping out my factory rear shocks for the DRM spec Bilsteins helped a lot with wheel hop at the track
Old 10-17-2010, 11:15 AM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Mine's an 06 as well. I think I heard that early build 06's were even more prone to broken axles when experiencing wheel hop.
Upgrade to the newer 09+ axles and you'll be OK, but no axle is impervious to the dreaded wheel hop syndrome.

I can also tell you that swapping out my factory rear shocks for the DRM spec Bilsteins helped a lot with wheel hop at the track

Thanks, hopefully I can talk the dealership to puting '09+ axles on if they wouldnt already.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

^^^ Dealer will replace only broken parts, not ones that might break. GM procedure call for using the most current part that is specified VIN by VIN.

Regarding wheel hop, use the search
C6Z06 board
"wheel hop"
subject only

Then set aside an hour to read some great threads, ignoring advice to start modding the car and focusing instead on the driver techniques described.

Ranger
Old 10-17-2010, 12:17 PM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ranger
^^^ Dealer will replace only broken parts, not ones that might break. GM procedure call for using the most current part that is specified VIN by VIN.

C6Z06 board
"wheel hop"
subject only

Then set aside an hour to read some great threads, ignoring advice to start modding the car and focusing instead on the driver techniques described.

Ranger
Thanks I was just reading a thread you posted from a long time ago.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...nd-issues.html
I am somewhat glad to see this was a potential issue with some '06's because it just didnt seem like the little wheel hop I have had would have snapped it unless weak. I have seen other Z06's wheel hop VIOLENTLY with no issues.

My buddy ownes the dealership I am taking it too. If they will replace the right side with a '09+ I will gladly pay to have the left side upgraded even though it doesnt look like they have had issues like the right side.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:23 PM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ranger

C6Z06 board
"wheel hop"
subject only

Ranger
Oh yea....thanks for the launch tip writeup. I followed your tips as best as I could and had another Z06 owner asking about my techniques yesterday after seeing my times.

Last edited by D-Rod; 10-19-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Its an '06. Its not like a wheel hop that goes on and on for a while where you can react fast and get out of it. Its literally like 2 hops that you cant even see on the video. Snap your fingers as fast as you can twice and thats all it is. I guess it was enough to do it though.
WOW, that sucks sorry to hear about it and surprised it happened on the 1/2 shift I guess vs. your launch. When racing and driving these cars to their max limit anything can happen and I also shift on the 1/2 shift very fast when going ***** out! I was considering going to the track today on my new VERY sticky Bridgestone runflats that hook my car great; but now I have SERIOUS second thoughts after seeing your post as I just don't feel like breaking anything right now!

That being said it could of been MUCH WORSE, and your lucky your car did not take a hard right or left into the wall, after snapping an axle after an aggressive 1/2 shift and your car roaring down the track (so you lucked out on in that respect)!

Best of luck on getting fixed up asap, I certainly would upgrade to the 09Z06/ZR1 axles, and certainly stay away from the weaker 06 C6 Z axles! Oh yeah, congrats on some IMPRESSIVE ets with worn out runflats to boot (great driving).

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 10-17-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:49 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Axles were the weak link in 06 so GM strengthened them for 07's and 08's.

09's were given the ZR1 axles which gave them even more beef.

I would think that GM would cover any damage that resulted from the failure such as the damage to the wheel and tire.

Keep us posted on the result.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:33 PM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Another option than technique and DR's are Coilovers. I have experienced wheel hop at times but adjusting the coilovers are a very easy way of tuning out the wheel hop beside the other benefits such as improved handling.

I would follow Rangers advice and if you have the extra cash, buy some Pfadts, LG, or Bilstiens.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:25 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Sorry to hear this happen David. Glad that you are OK. The car can be fixed. Keep us posted on how the dealer handles the situation.

Get notified of new replies

To Snapped axle on Runflats?

Old 10-17-2010, 08:30 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Would Pfadt solid motor/trans mounts minimize hop?
Old 10-17-2010, 09:07 PM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

Thanks all for the advice. I will let you know what the dealership says when I drop the car off tomorrow. I wanna be there when they pull the tire off to see what all is damaged.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY
Would Pfadt solid motor/trans mounts minimize hop?
Definitely not if running run-craps. Easiest fix for hop is a better tire. Second easiest is decent suspension.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Snapped axle on Runflats?