Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Car storage tips for winter...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:35 PM
1rawTA
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Car storage tips for winter...

Well winter is right around the corner, im bringing my car to my parents summer home where i have a garage to store it in (i dont have a garage for it home) What trickle charger does everyone recomend? and also what other tips do you guys do before you put the car away? It will be in storage from dec 1st-March.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Tom's_03SVT
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Sta-bil, inflate your tires to 40PSI. I have a CTEK 3300 for my battery, there are others available from harbor frieght and Walmart.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:16 PM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom's_03SVT
Sta-bil, inflate your tires to 40PSI. I have a CTEK 3300 for my battery, there are others available from harbor frieght and Walmart.
In addition, fill the tank with fuel, change oil and filter...
Old 10-25-2010, 05:17 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

I always just remove the battery for the winter - have never used a trickle charger. I've done this for 4 seasons now and still have the original battery. Just leave her set for the winter, don't try to start it every once in a while.

You may also want to throw some dryer sheets in the cabin keep mice away.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:25 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
I always just remove the battery for the winter - have never used a trickle charger. I've done this for 4 seasons now and still have the original battery. Just leave her set for the winter, don't try to start it every once in a while.

Don't place the dryer sheets directly on the upholstery or carpet as they can stain. Put some aluminum pie plates in to sit the dryer sheets in. Also stuff some in the exhaust tips and around under the hood. Just about any place a mouse might like to set up housekeeping.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:47 PM
fastdriver1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO NOT use a "trickle charger". They will overcharge and smoke a battery in no time. Use a float charger such as a 'Battery Tender' or CTEK. They are designed to keep the battery at full charge without cooking them.
Change oil and filter, fill fuel tank (stabilizer optional), over inflate tires a bit, cover (optional) and kiss her goodnight.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:10 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdriver1
DO NOT use a "trickle charger". They will overcharge and smoke a
battery in no time. Use a float charger such as a 'Battery Tender'
or CTEK. They are designed to keep the battery at full charge without
cooking them.
Change oil and filter.
Fill fuel tank (stabilizer optional).
Over inflate tires a bit.
Cover (optional) and kiss her goodnight.

...This covers it.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:17 PM
1rawTA
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Ctek ordered today... Oil and filter was just changed over the weekend.. So it looks like im good to go.. Going to drive her a little more over the next 2-3 weeks then its to sleep she goes
Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Kurac
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg

I have heard two schools of thought on this.
Some people will start up their cars ever 2-3 weeks and let it run for a 1/2 hour or so and even drive it up and down the driveway.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:28 PM
MBR44
Instructor

Is it best to fill the tank to prevent condesation? I always run it almost all the way out and stabile it before my last ride to make sure all the gas has some in it. Stabile only works for up to 4mo so by the time I take out the car 6mo later I dont have a full tank of bad fuel. I then fill it up before the first ride and add isopropoline. Is my thinking wrong?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:09 PM
The BreeZe
Instructor

http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/...6.jpg&newest=1
http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/...5.jpg&newest=1
http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSC_1043.jpg
Another nice trick to protect your car from vapor/moisture from the concrete slab (or worse yet, soil), lay a minimum 10'x18' x .04 mil visqueen (plastic) sheet on the slab. Pull your car up onto the visqueen sheet.

Open a car door and pull the visqueen up onto the door sill, close the door and trap the visqueen. Now open the other door, pull the visqueen and close the door.

Put your car cover on, now go around the car, pull the the visqueen up under the elastic band of the cover at the front, wheel wells and back end.

In a few minutes your done! The car is in a cocoon that protects it from moisture and mice.

If you're really ****, cut carpet into 16"x6" squares, drive the Vette onto the visqueen but hold short 8", put the carpet snug under the front of each tire, and drive up the last 8"

The tires are now isolated from the concrete and have a yielding material between the tire and a hard slab. Mitigates the flat spotting. Can't hurt.

The BreeZe

Last edited by The BreeZe; 10-25-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:22 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MBR44
Is it best to fill the tank to prevent condesation? I always run it almost all the way out and stabile it before my last ride to make sure all the gas has some in it. Stabile only works for up to 4mo so by the time I take out the car 6mo later I dont have a full tank of bad fuel. I then fill it up before the first ride and add isopropoline. Is my thinking wrong?
FYI, STA-BIL keeps stored fuel fresh for 12 months.

You're absolutely correct to fill the gas tank full and add STA-BIL as an additive if it's going to sit for several months. Untreated pump fuel will start to degrade 4-6 months from purchase. Make sure to add the fuel stabilizer at the pump before filling and drive it a few miles to allow the stabilizer to circulate completely through the fuel system.

No need to start it during the winter unless you're going to run it hot enough to burn off any condensation you may create starting it in cold conditions. It's really not necessary to cold start it as this will do more harm than good, just let it hibernate and you'll be good to go in the spring.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:26 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
Make sure to add the fuel stabilizer at the pump before filling and drive it a few miles to allow the stabilizer to circulate completely through the fuel system.

No need to start it during the winter unless you're going to run it hot enough to burn off any condensation you may create starting it in cold conditions. It's really not necessary to cold start it as this will do more harm than good, just let it hibernate and you'll be good to go in the spring.
Very good info here! I always do the exact same thing.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:12 PM
css60
Instructor

Originally Posted by MBR44

I haven't read through all the posts so this might be covered already.....yes fill the tank to prevent condensation. I use Seafoam, add it at the gas station so whatever stabilizer you use gets all the way through the system.

Personally, I don't believe in starting it up from time to time just for the sake of starting it up. Sure you'll get the engine oil hot, but you'll never get all the fluids in the car up to operating temp to burn off any condensation. It's on a battery tender, so no worries there. I think it's best just to let her sleep.

I also change the oil and filter, and add just a couple psi to the tires. Give her a good detailing, and cover her.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

When I used to store my boat and Vettes I would also throw in a can of dry gas to absorb moisture. However, best way to store any car is to drive it. They weren't designed to sit around. In the Tom's River area you have mild winters anyways so why bother storing the car? The few days there is any snow just don't drive the car. Snow is nothing more than frozen rain.

Bill
Old 10-26-2010, 01:13 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When I used to store my boat and Vettes I would also throw in a can of dry gas to absorb moisture. However, best way to store any car is to drive it. They weren't designed to sit around. In the Tom's River area you have mild winters anyways so why bother storing the car? The few days there is any snow just don't drive the car. Snow is nothing more than frozen rain.

Bill
I think snow isnt the real issue, its actually the salt/sand thrown on the roads that doesnt immediately wash off on "clear" days..?

BTW Bill, I think we met at the local weekly carshow @ Barnes & Noble's over summer, could be wrong tho.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:58 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So happy to live in the SE.

This is an informative post by the way. Didnt know all these little tricks and needs to dos before reading this thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Car storage tips for winter...

Old 10-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by LT5 John
change oil and filter...
Why let fresh oil sit in the engine all winter gathering moisture? Change the oil when you take it out of storage, not when you put in in.

Originally Posted by Ladimer
I have heard two schools of thought on this.
Some people will start up their cars ever 2-3 weeks and let it run for a 1/2 hour or so and even drive it up and down the driveway.
The people that start their cars every 2-3 weeks are just wearing out their engines faster by cold starting them. Most engine wear occurs at startup (excluding racing). The best thing to do is just let it sit until spring. What is better, one cold start waiting for oil to circulate through the engine, or 15? They're also heating and cooling the parts, introducing condensation into the oil without getting it up to the temperature to evaporate the condensation.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 10-26-2010, 01:09 PM
trickability
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Don't place the dryer sheets directly on the upholstery or carpet as they can stain. Put some aluminum pie plates in to sit the dryer sheets in. Also stuff some in the exhaust tips and around under the hood. Just about any place a mouse might like to set up housekeeping.
So dryer sheets keep mice out ? never heard of that
Old 10-26-2010, 01:23 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason

The people that start their cars every 2-3 weeks are just wearing out their engines faster by cold starting them. Most engine wear occurs at startup (excluding racing). The best thing to do is just let it sit until spring. What is better, one cold start waiting for oil to circulate through the engine, or 15? They're also heating and cooling the parts, introducing condensation into the oil without getting it up to the temperature to evaporate the condensation.

better to let it sit

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
FYI, STA-BIL keeps stored fuel fresh for 12 months.

You're absolutely correct to fill the gas tank full and add STA-BIL as an additive if it's going to sit for several months. Untreated pump fuel will start to degrade 4-6 months from purchase. Make sure to add the fuel stabilizer at the pump before filling and drive it a few miles to allow the stabilizer to circulate completely through the fuel system.

Originally Posted by fastdriver1
DO NOT use a "trickle charger". They will overcharge and smoke a battery in no time. Use a float charger such as a 'Battery Tender' or CTEK. They are designed to keep the battery at full charge without cooking them.
Change oil and filter, fill fuel tank (stabilizer optional), over inflate tires a bit, cover (optional) and kiss her goodnight.
NEVER use a Trickle charger for storage.

I've been storing cars for over 10 years and followed the above info and a few other minor tips (for keeping rodents away from nesting in the engine bay) and never had any problems whatsoever.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Car storage tips for winter...