Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] check engine light HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:50 PM
REPZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light HELP

I have a 2008 Z06 stock with 5700 miles on it I went out for a quick cruise today and noticed the check engine light was on. I had onstar do a check, the operator said it had to do with an exhaust sensor. She said I could try to take it out for a long run on the highway to see if it goes off or have the dealer reset it. Anyone come across this problem and what did you do? Car is running strong and everything seems good. Thx Bob
Old 11-29-2010, 07:57 PM
spoon man
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey Bob

Can you get the code? You might know this, but autozone will scan for free. Once we get the code we can diagnose. I am suprised the lady just told you to "drive it out" LOL. It could be something that needs attention.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:09 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Once in a while, ecm's will throw a random code when they do their system checks. I would clear the thing (disconnect the ground on the battery for a couple of minutes). Sometimes they will not come back. If it does, have it read and diagnosed. Other's here may disagree but if it is important, it'll come right back on.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:21 PM
REPZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by spoon man
Hey Bob

Can you get the code? You might know this, but autozone will scan for free. Once we get the code we can diagnose. I am suprised the lady just told you to "drive it out" LOL. It could be something that needs attention.
Hey Spoonman. How's your Z with the new mods? Wish I could of made the Sandy Hook run but with the NYC marathon that day it would of been a bitch to get there from Long Island.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:23 PM
REPZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by 383vett
Once in a while, ecm's will throw a random code when they do their system checks. I would clear the thing (disconnect the ground on the battery for a couple of minutes). Sometimes they will not come back. If it does, have it read and diagnosed. Other's here may disagree but if it is important, it'll come right back on.
Thanks I'll have to try it ,was hoping it would be something easy this way I can stay away from the dealer. I was looking to put it away for the winter this week anyway.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:31 PM
REPZ06
Racer

got the code P0420 has to do with the emission control system
Old 11-29-2010, 08:38 PM
REPZ06
Racer

Simple re-flash at the dealer. We do it all the time.

(Reprogram Engine Control Module (ECM)) - (Apr 3, 2009)

Subject: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated, DTCs P0420 and/or P0430 Set (Reprogram Engine Control Module (ECM))

Models: 2007-2008 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6
2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6 Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 95112736

with 7.0L Engine - RPO LS7

Please Refer to GMVIS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the reprogramming emission controller warranty information statement and to change the labor operation. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-06-04-011 (Section 06 -- Engine Controls)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment that the MIL is illuminated.

Technicians may find DTCs P0420 and/or P0430 set as current or in history.

Cause
This condition may be caused by the ECM determining that either/both of the catalytic converters are exhibiting low efficiency under certain vehicle operating conditions.

Correction
Important: DO NOT replace the catalytic converters for this condition.

A revised calibration has been released to address this condition. Follow the published SI diagnostics for DTC P0420 or P0430 and repair if necessary. If the SI diagnostics do not isolate a cause for this condition, reprogram the ECM using the Service Programming System (SPS) with the latest calibration available on TIS2WEB. Refer to the SPS procedures in SI.

When using a multiple diagnostic interface (MDI) for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.

When using a Tech 2® for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.

During programming, the battery voltage must be maintained within the proper range of 12-15 volts. Only use the approved Midtronics® PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent during programming.

Warranty Information
For vehicles reprogrammed under the 8 year / 80,000 mile (130,000 km) emission controller warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J6353
Reprogram ECM using SPS
0.4 hr
found this after a search of the code
Old 11-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by REPZ06
got the code P0420 has to do with the emission control system
Cat insufficiency code. Could be a bad cat on one side. This and the P0430 codes are an issue when headers and high flow cats are installed. On a Z06 without headers and HF cats, it may spell trouble.

Have the dealer run a diagnostic cat test.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 11-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Prime Target
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 171 Posts

From what I remember it's a simple reflash of the ECM at the dealer. From the cats I think. Common on 08's.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:11 PM
REPZ06
Racer

Hopefully its just a reflash can't see cats going bad after 5k mileage but who knows . I might wait til the spring I was going to put the car away for the winter this week. thx for the replies

Get notified of new replies

To check engine light HELP

Quick Reply: [Z06] check engine light HELP