Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 3.90 Z06 Rear End Gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 02:26 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

VENDORS, are you hearing us!!

Build 3.90 and 4.10s ring and pinion sets specifically for the C6 Z rear end carrier and WE WILL BUY!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 AM
arboyce
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in...
Old 01-13-2011, 10:11 AM
0TJ@RPMtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive had a few guys ask about this before. I guess I need to revisit this. I will talk with my contacts and see what I can get done. 3.90 seems to be the ticket.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:20 AM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ@RPMtransmissions
Ive had a few guys ask about this before. I guess I need to revisit this. I will talk with my contacts and see what I can get done. 3.90 seems to be the ticket.
Yes please do! Thx
Old 01-13-2011, 10:23 AM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for sure iam in as well
Old 01-13-2011, 10:27 AM
ajbarbato15
Racer

Im in!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 10:58 AM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by thesubfloor
Unless something's changed in the last few months you currently cannot do a ring and pinion swap on a Z06 differential.

While it is still possible to upgrade the gears in a C6 Z06 it has to be done using a case from an A6 equipped car since (believe it or not) they're interchangeable. The downside to that however is you'd be giving up the strength that a Z06 diff offers over the A6 diff.

If somebody know different then please feel free to correct me but as of right now those are your only options.
When you say giving up the strengh, what do you mean because my car from the day I got it, it started to make more power than most C6 Z06 and I have been racing it(drag race) and never broke my rear, it is a C6 converted C6 Z06 rear, my car has both the Z06 Transmission and a set of 3.73 rear ratio that fits a C6 Z06 Transmission.
I recently change it because of the increase HP and I don't need the gear ratio anylonger. I will like to sell it to a C6 Z06 owner who long to change the gear ratio to a 3.73 ratio or it can be easily change to 3.90 for he most interested parties.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:20 AM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINIC5
When you say giving up the strengh, what do you mean because my car from the day I got it, it started to make more power than most C6 Z06 and I have been racing it(drag race) and never broke my rear, it is a C6 converted C6 Z06 rear, my car has both the Z06 Transmission and a set of 3.73 rear ratio that fits a C6 Z06 Transmission.
I recently change it because of the increase HP and I don't need the gear ratio anylonger. I will like to sell it to a C6 Z06 owner who long to change the gear ratio to a 3.73 ratio or it can be easily change to 3.90 for he most interested parties.
Stronger in the sense that the ring and pinion is physically larger than regular gears and even the case itself is bigger, requiring an extra quart of gear oil.

I was able to blow up two regular C6 differentials pretty quickly with just my LS2, whereas I have over 350 low 10 second passes on the Z06 diff in my car now coupled with a 600rwhp LS7 and 6L80 trans.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:48 PM
sblair09
Advanced

sign me up for a set
Old 01-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Txr here on the forum has 3.90's in his C6Z from HP Sales in Pompano in my sig. I'm not sure how they did it, I'll see I can get them to chime in.

It's a cam only car with full boltons...and man is it a beast.

There will be another thread soon, but I'll tease the thread here...Txr, with 14 runs under his belt, finally launched hard and got the slip below. I will have video later to post to the thread.

I love my 4:10's...I can only imagine they would be the bomb in a Z.

Right lane.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:43 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by TJ@RPMtransmissions
3.90 would be great.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:31 PM
SG333
Racer

Response for Motive Gear today.

We are definitely working on a 3.90, and maybe even a 4.10. I will get with engineering and see what is in the works for sure, and a possible time frame for delivery, and get back to you..

Thanks Bob
Old 01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Txr here on the forum has 3.90's in his C6Z from HP Sales in Pompano in my sig. I'm not sure how they did it, I'll see I can get them to chime in.

It's a cam only car with full boltons...and man is it a beast.

There will be another thread soon, but I'll tease the thread here...Txr, with 14 runs under his belt, finally launched hard and got the slip below. I will have video later to post to the thread.

I love my 4:10's...I can only imagine they would be the bomb in a Z.

Right lane.

Its the same like I having 3.73 gears in my car
Old 01-13-2011, 02:56 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Stronger in the sense that the ring and pinion is physically larger than regular gears and even the case itself is bigger, requiring an extra quart of gear oil.

I was able to blow up two regular C6 differentials pretty quickly with just my LS2, whereas I have over 350 low 10 second passes on the Z06 diff in my car now coupled with a 600rwhp LS7 and 6L80 trans.
You're not making close to the power I am making and yet still I haven't blown up my rear with a stick, and even with my C5 I never blew up a rear with my auto.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:16 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA

You're not making close to the power I am making and yet still I haven't blown up my rear with a stick, and even with my C5 I never blew up a rear with my auto.
When you get even remotely close to the number of track passes I put on my car in a given year we can talk.

The bottom line is still the same - a modified C6 differential won't be as strong as one from a Z06.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by FrankTank
3.90 would be great.
But if RPM Tranny or someone else is going to build 3.90s, PLEASE do the 4.10s also, for the hardcore extremist like myself who wants that EXTRA acceleration, as illustrated by the fastest C6 Z on this forum that runs in the very low 10s with just bolt ons, a tune and 4.10 gears!.

For those who are confused by this statement how he has 4.10 gears in his C6 Z, RPM Tranny for around $3,000 offers 4.10 gears for our C6 Z, that they custom make from a stock non Z06 (C6) rear end carrier, with upgraded parts for strength (but at a very expensive price $3,000 plus your stock C6 Z rear end pumpkin)!

This particular 4.10 gear they offer for this large price tag ($3,000) is a complete pumpkin swap for your stock C6 Z unit that is obviously battle tested, b/c the car referenced above has countless passes on slicks with his C6 Z in the 10s (with his stock manual tranny that has not been converted into an auto tranny).

Obviously, this is TOO EXPENSIVE for most folks here (including myself) and is more than folks are willing to pay for 4.10 or 3.90 gears for our Zs, but it is an option that exists for those with the expendable $ that have to have something RIGHT NOW, that is proven and battled tested under extreme conditions!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 01-13-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:27 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy f/k/a Blown ECS Z06
But if RPM Tranny or someone else is going to build 3.90s, PLEASE do the 4.10s also, for the hardcore extremist like myself who wants that EXTRA acceleration, as illustrated by the fastest C6 Z on this forum that runs in the very low 10s with just bolt ons, a tune and 4.10 gears!.

For those who are confused by this statement how he has 4.10 gears in his C6 Z, RPM Tranny for around $3,000 offers 4.10 gears for our C6 Z, that they custom make from a stock non Z06 (C6) rear end carrier, with upgraded parts for strength (but at a very expensive price $3,000 plus your stock C6 Z rear end pumpkin)!

This particular 4.10 gear they offer for this large price tag ($3,000) is a complete pumpkin swap for your stock C6 Z unit that is obviously battle tested, b/c the car referenced above has countless passes on slicks with his C6 Z in the 10s (with his stock manual tranny that has not been converted into an auto tranny).

Obviously, this is TOO EXPENSIVE for most folks here (including myself) and is more than folks are willing to pay for 4.10 or 3.90 gears for our Zs, but it is an option that exists for those with the expendable $ that have to have something RIGHT NOW, that is proven and battled tested under extreme conditions!
The rear you're refeering too is the same type rear I have for sale in the FS section and yes it is expensive, now any company that do carry the original C6Z rear gears will sell them expensive, they might want to sell the complete built rear for more than $3000.00 because the rear gears will not be mass production.

Get notified of new replies

To 3.90 Z06 Rear End Gears

Old 01-13-2011, 04:35 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

When you get even remotely close to the number of track passes I put on my car in a given year we can talk.

The bottom line is still the same - a modified C6 differential won't be as strong as one from a Z06.
No reason to count the number of passes, there are no price for that, its how fast you can go down the track in a single 1/4 mile pass without breaking parts and you're no where near my numbers with a streetable vette.
Yes you're right its not as strong as a C6Z but it has been proven to be strong with some 700+rwhp going down the track and street beating. I have seen my friend blew up C6Z rears with his car making the same power like me and I didn't blow up mine, so there are people who drive to blow up their cars and there are people who can drive and do the same without breaking anything, regardless of its strenght.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:24 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

No reason to count the number of passes, there are no price for that, its how fast you can go down the track in a single 1/4 mile pass without breaking parts and you're no where near my numbers with a streetable vette.
Yes you're right its not as strong as a C6Z but it has been proven to be strong with some 700+rwhp going down the track and street beating. I have seen my friend blew up C6Z rears with his car making the same power like me and I didn't blow up mine, so there are people who drive to blow up their cars and there are people who can drive and do the same without breaking anything, regardless of its strenght.
It ABSOLUTELY is important to count the number of passes because that's the only true measure of longevity. Just because you can make 1,5,10 or even 50 passes down the track while putting out an insane amount of horsepower doesn't mean squat with respect to how it's gonna hold up over the long haul.

I blew up two transmissions in 23 passes each and it wasn't just the amount of horsepower that killed them but rather the repeated abuse and that same kind of logic applies to differentials. According to your what you're saying, a differential that can withstand a few 700+rwhp passes would actually be stronger than one that was able to withstand 500 passes in a 400rwhp car because HP is the only thing that matters and quite simply that's wrong.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:35 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

It ABSOLUTELY is important to count the number of passes because that's the only true measure of longevity. Just because you can make 1,5,10 or even 50 passes down the track while putting out an insane amount of horsepower doesn't mean squat with respect to how it's gonna hold up over the long haul.

I blew up two transmissions in 23 passes each and it wasn't just the amount of horsepower that killed them but rather the repeated abuse and that same kind of logic applies to differentials. According to your what you're saying, a differential that can withstand a few 700+rwhp passes would actually be stronger than one that was able to withstand 500 passes in a 400rwhp car because HP is the only thing that matters and quite simply that's wrong.
Well as I said before, you can break something in 10 passes while there will be another driver that will make the same amount of pasees, within the same time, with the same parts you had and never break anything, so your way of measuring might be for you but not for everybody.
There are drivers who drive to break and there are drivers who can drive without breaking, even with big power. I am one of the driver that will drive and don't break, while my friend breaks everything he drives.
Getting that point clear, maybe we will need drivers like you to tell us how strong a part can be and not me who hardly breaks something. So therefore its not the number of passes a driver made but the amount of passes a driver who breaks parts made.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 3.90 Z06 Rear End Gears