Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Side skirts/ground effects for my Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 AM
adamante82
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side skirts/ground effects for my Z06

Hey fellas...I went and hit a curb in the parking lot, resulting in some pretty hefty scratches in the passenger side side skirt on my 2008 Black Z06 (yes, not too bright...)

I guess this means it's time to upgrade!??

I've used the good ol' search button and found numerous 'kits' and the like for ground effects/side skirts.

Bottom line of what I'm looking for:

Side skirts alone would be fine but I will consider a kit too (ZR-1 or Z0-6), but they need to be painted to match my Z and bolt on would be nice as well.

Those who have done this already, please relay your experience if you have a moment.

This is what I have in mind right now:

http://rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1562
How's the quality? The fit? Pictures don't show too much.

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/sho...06-grand-sport
Very nice! I would like to know if anyone on here has any experience with this kit.

As always, thanks for any input.

Eli
Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adamante82
Hey fellas...I went and hit a curb in the parking lot, resulting in some pretty hefty scratches in the passenger side side skirt on my 2008 Black Z06 (yes, not too bright...)

I guess this means it's time to upgrade!??

I've used the good ol' search button and found numerous 'kits' and the like for ground effects/side skirts.

Bottom line of what I'm looking for:

Side skirts alone would be fine but I will consider a kit too (ZR-1 or Z0-6), but they need to be painted to match my Z and bolt on would be nice as well.

Those who have done this already, please relay your experience if you have a moment.

This is what I have in mind right now:

http://rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1562
How's the quality? The fit? Pictures don't show too much.

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/sho...06-grand-sport
Very nice! I would like to know if anyone on here has any experience with this kit.

As always, thanks for any input.

Eli
Only two OEM screws up front but the rest is rivets, last time I checked
Old 01-18-2011, 10:25 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
Only two OEM screws up front but the rest is rivets, last time I checked
I am not aware of rivits being used with any of the kits. I have the Apsis carbon fiber ZR1 side skirts and they use screws. As far as I know the other kits use screws as well. That said, there are holes that need to be drilled to accomodate the screws but the install is very simple and the finished results are worth the effort!

As for which kit to buy, if I were going painted, I would go with Apsis or RPI. I have the RPI painted ZR1 spoiler and the quality was very good. Their service is great as well! Just be patient as they dont normally have the parts pre-painted. They are paint upon orders so it could take a couple weeks but its worth the wait!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:54 AM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LG side skirts use pop rivets.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by slief
I am not aware of rivits being used with any of the kits. I have the Apsis carbon fiber ZR1 side skirts and they use screws. As far as I know the other kits use screws as well. That said, there are holes that need to be drilled to accomodate the screws but the install is very simple and the finished results are worth the effort!

As for which kit to buy, if I were going painted, I would go with Apsis or RPI. I have the RPI painted ZR1 spoiler and the quality was very good. Their service is great as well! Just be patient as they dont normally have the parts pre-painted. They are paint upon orders so it could take a couple weeks but its worth the wait!
Uhm no, those that I know, including OEM ZR1 use rivets and for a good reason: screwing anything into raw plastic without a metal mounting tab does not work too well, not that much different than screws in MDF) Look under the front of your Z06 and notice how the front lip is mounted, same goes for the rocker panel mounts-they all use metal mounting tabs. Do as you please but if you use factory style skirts, they should be mounted with rivets (not rivits BTW). If Apsis uses screws, they are giving out bad advice.

Last edited by petermj; 01-18-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:00 PM
rovers2000
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I have had both the Rpi screw kits for side skirts and the Kaytec carbon fiber pop rivet side skirts. The screws stay if you dont over titen them and strip the holes. The pop rivets work good also. If I had to pick one I like the aluminum rivets better.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:02 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rovers2000
I have had both the Rpi screw kits for side skirts and the Kaytec carbon fiber pop rivet side skirts. The screws stay if you dont over titen them and strip the holes. The pop rivets work good also. If I had to pick one I like the aluminum rivets better.
I did a search on Kaytec, who are these guys?
Old 01-18-2011, 03:45 PM
adamante82
Instructor

haha, love the humor of this forum.

ok, so it sounds like no matter which direction I go, I'm going to have to screw some holes in the car. *deep breath*

Of course that makes me nervous, but like anything I've done if I just read the instructions several times before I begin, I should be ok. I also need to make sure I have the right parts to drill. As of now, I just have the standard "man drill" with about 4 dozen drill bits.

Anyone have a timeframe on installation? Is this a weekend project or a day project, etc?

Keep the comments coming...really appct it.

Additionally, if anyone has any pics feel free to point me to them!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Katech's and LG's are easy to install and remove with pop rivits. Katech's splitter, undertray, brake ducts and spolier all bolt on and all are functional as a set.

Jim
Old 01-18-2011, 04:24 PM
adamante82
Instructor

Originally Posted by Painrace
Katech's and LG's are easy to install and remove with pop rivits. Katech's splitter, undertray, brake ducts and spolier all bolt on and all are functional as a set.

Jim
I've found a thread talking about the LGs...I have PM him to get an idea on cost and such. Didn't even know LG did made these...thanks!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:54 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

my side skirts are screwed on with no problems..
Old 01-18-2011, 04:57 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Uhm no, those that I know, including OEM ZR1 use rivets and for a good reason: screwing anything into raw plastic without a metal mounting tab does not work too well, not that much different than screws in MDF) Look under the front of your Z06 and notice how the front lip is mounted, same goes for the rocker panel mounts-they all use metal mounting tabs. Do as you please but if you use factory style skirts, they should be mounted with rivets (not rivits BTW). If Apsis uses screws, they are giving out bad advice.
Point taken as I am not familiar with the other side skirt options..

Now please enlighten me.. Where would you be screwing into raw plastic on the side skirts.. Last I checked, the lower sides of the vette (where the skirts mount) are fiber glass. At least that is what I thought I was drilling into! If I am wrong about what they are made of, I will stand to be corrected!

That said, rivets are a no brainer as well. My only concern would be if they pulled through due to hitting something.

Last edited by slief; 01-18-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:14 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by adamante82
haha, love the humor of this forum.

ok, so it sounds like no matter which direction I go, I'm going to have to screw some holes in the car. *deep breath*
I recommend you DRILL holes in the car and then screw a hole or two after you are done (gender choice is up to you)

Once you attach the skirts by the front screws, the drilling part should be pretty easy to do, especially if someone gives you a hand holding them skirts or you taped them temporarily to the rockers and mark the spots to drill (using some masking tape to mark on and then drill through is recommended). With that said, do not forget about the finishers in the back. IMO, the design is pretty retarded because there is a place for a flange in the back just like in the front so WTF and why make a swiss cheese out of rocker panels, especially where you could actually see the stupid holes should the skirts come off? Nevertheless, carry on
Old 01-18-2011, 05:24 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by slief
Point taken as I am not familiar with the other side skirt options..

Now please enlighten me.. Where would you be screwing into raw plastic on the side skirts.. Last I checked, the lower sides of the vette (where the skirts mount) are fiber glass. At least that is what I thought I was drilling into! If I am wrong about what they are made of, I will stand to be corrected!

That said, rivets are a no brainer as well. My only concern would be if they pulled through due to hitting something.
you is sure about them fiberglass rockers? Last time I checked, vette was build using fiber (well ground up) reinforced polyurethane (frp) with components like bumpers and I think rockers made out of urethane... You may be thinking Viper but even Viper has urethane parts on it as well. Your vette is a plastic car, has been almost 40 years now...

The rivets will not pull through, they can't since you create a flare behind the surface, chances are very good you will break off the skirts themselves... The way they are made, they are a breakaway design for sure

Oh BTW, if you compare vette under artificial light vs. a car truly made of fiberglass (some kind of woven or non woven textile soaked in polyester resin) you will quickly find out how superior finish on vette is.

Last edited by petermj; 01-18-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:04 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

you is sure about them fiberglass rockers? Last time I checked, vette was build using fiber (well ground up) reinforced polyurethane (frp) with components like bumpers and I think rockers made out of urethane... You may be thinking Viper but even Viper has urethane parts on it as well. Your vette is a plastic car, has been almost 40 years now...

The rivets will not pull through, they can't since you create a flare behind the surface, chances are very good you will break off the skirts themselves... The way they are made, they are a breakaway design for sure

Oh BTW, if you compare vette under artificial light vs. a car truly made of fiberglass (some kind of woven or non woven textile soaked in polyester resin) you will quickly find out how superior finish on vette is.
smc is the proper term...sheet molded compound...fiberglass more or less....the rockers are smc....rivets pull out/ get loose just like screws...either fastening method when done properly will work just fine...
Old 01-18-2011, 10:55 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I have used rivets on all the ones that I have installed. They will not loosen over time. If you need to remove, Just drill them out. It's pretty simple.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:40 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

you is sure about them fiberglass rockers?
I'z not sure bout them fiberglass rockers but sinz my memory reckons smellin fiberglass when I be drillen and my arms itched like et, I spozed it waz!

J/K.. It smelled like fiber glass when I drilled the holes for the rockers and the flakes made me itch so I assumed it was. Then again, looking at fiberglass insulation make me itch.

My screws have held up fine none the less so I am fine with screws over rivets even though I wouldnt question the rivets if that was what I was supplied with.

Last edited by slief; 01-18-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Side skirts/ground effects for my Z06

Old 01-30-2011, 05:35 PM
RPI Designs
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16 -'17

We offer many options. Our kits are identical to the real thing. We offer them painted in body colors and in real carbon fiber.

Real Carbon Fiber ZR1 Style C6 Z06 Side Skirts: http://rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1801

Real Carbon Fiber ZR1 Style C6 Z06 Front Splitter: http://rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1751

Body Color Painted ZR1 Style C6 Z06 Side Skirts: http://rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1562

Body Color Painted ZR1 Style C6 Z06 Front Splitter: http://rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1485

Body Color Painted ZR1 Style C6 Z06 Rear Spoiler: http://rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1406

Let me know if I can help you out at all.
Thanks!!

4000+ C5/C6/C7 Parts & accessories - Forum members get 10% off with SS2007 coupon at checkout

Like us on www.facebook.com/rpidesigns and you might win $100.

Our brand new C7 Corvette Z06 Style Side Skirts come painted in Carbon Flash Metallic, see them here!

email: rpi.designs.customerservice@gmail.com Web: www.rpidesigns.com
Old 01-30-2011, 07:55 PM
FastZ06Eh?
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the RPI skirts in CF, screwed on, no problems. Took this retired office worker a couple of hours to install the skirts. Recommend the products from RPI, I have the ZR1 rear spoiler ( body colored) and CF front splitter, all first rate, although the splitter lost a battle with a raised manhole cover in a construction zone ......
Old 01-30-2011, 09:54 PM
SearayC5
Burning Brakes

Are the side splitters pre-drilled so we know at what interval to mount the rivets? Or at the very least are there any pre-drilled holes to get the skirts started? Is it obvious how car in/forward/back they mount on the rocker panel?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Side skirts/ground effects for my Z06