Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:33 AM
GMJ
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak

I have a 2001 C5 I have noticed that after the car sits for a while a week in the cold garage after I start it up it leaves a small amount of oil (clear very clean) it does not look like motor oil or power steering oil behind any ideas?
Old 11-05-2011, 09:05 AM
VicCaerter
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GMJ
I have a 2001 C5 I have noticed that after the car sits for a while a week in the cold garage after I start it up it leaves a small amount of oil (clear very clean) it does not look like motor oil or power steering oil behind any ideas?
GMJ,

This is the C6 section and an old thread at that. Your best bet is to limit your search to C5's and/or starting a new thread.

That being said, it sounds as if it could be coolant. I'm not sure of your mileage, but being that it's 10 years old it could be the water pump or a hose. Try getting the car up on ramps and investigate while it's running.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I understand this is an old thread, so I'm putting on my flame suit in advance (at least I realized its an old thread!) but I am interested in hearing of any other Zs and LS7s with an oil pan gasket issue that may have happened since this thread was originally posted.

Earlier today I took my Z06 in for an oil change (and other work) and they found a leak on the oil pan. I haven't seen any drips on the garage floor but the pan had a light coating of oil and it explains the smell I get from the car after driving it.

The tech believes it is the gasket and it is under going replacement. I'll be able to pick up the car tomorrow. The tech mentioned he has had to do this several times on Corvettes. He didn't specify models/engines but he did mention it has happened to newer lower mileage cars and it isn't just certain years or miles.

For reference, my car is an 06 Z06 with 18000 miles.

Anyone else experience this same issue? Did the new gasket completely resolve the issue? Just wondering if theres anything else I should have the dealer/mechanic check while its still on the lift.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
I understand this is an old thread, so I'm putting on my flame suit in advance (at least I realized its an old thread!) but I am interested in hearing of any other Zs and LS7s with an oil pan gasket issue that may have happened since this thread was originally posted.

Earlier today I took my Z06 in for an oil change (and other work) and they found a leak on the oil pan. I haven't seen any drips on the garage floor but the pan had a light coating of oil and it explains the smell I get from the car after driving it.

The tech believes it is the gasket and it is under going replacement. I'll be able to pick up the car tomorrow. The tech mentioned he has had to do this several times on Corvettes. He didn't specify models/engines but he did mention it has happened to newer lower mileage cars and it isn't just certain years or miles.

For reference, my car is an 06 Z06 with 18000 miles.

Anyone else experience this same issue? Did the new gasket completely resolve the issue? Just wondering if theres anything else I should have the dealer/mechanic check while its still on the lift.
My 06 Z with only 13,000 miles on it formed an oil pan gasket leak that was fixed under GMPP warranty last month (November 2011) and all appear to be well now.

The car sat for long periods of time in storage with previous owner and I'm sure that did not help out the situation.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:41 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Jimmy. I guess I'll find out soon enough

I surely hope its fixed, the out of warranty cost for this will not be fun to pay
Old 12-29-2011, 07:53 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I developed the same gasket leak during winter storage Nov - March in my 07 Z, 15,000 miles. GM replaced the gasket under warranty.

Can we get some feedback from GM on storage since many of us store our summer toys over the winter? My service mgr. said to start it and warm it up every month or so.

Jim
Old 11-17-2017, 03:37 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Luweegy
Headers are notorous for rubing a hole in a oil cooler line.
really? I just changed the oil on mine and it only has 2k on the build with headers and 11k on the odometer. Anyway, while changing the oil the area around the filter had a small about of oil on it. I was shocked that an 11k car would have an oil leak, but I found your reply peculiar because it would make sense since I have heads are the leak could be the oil cooler line.

And sorry for reviving the thread, this is the only one I could find after numerous searches for headers causing the lines to leak (after doing a brief "LS7 oil leak" and stumbled on this thread.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:46 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Maligator
really? I just changed the oil on mine and it only has 2k on the build with headers and 11k on the odometer. Anyway, while changing the oil the area around the filter had a small about of oil on it. I was shocked that an 11k car would have an oil leak, but I found your reply peculiar because it would make sense since I have heads are the leak could be the oil cooler line.

And sorry for reviving the thread, this is the only one I could find after numerous searches for headers causing the lines to leak (after doing a brief "LS7 oil leak" and stumbled on this thread.
Tight tolerances under there and if things aren't clearanced enough, yes...its been known to happen. I remembered this thread of Undy's...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...own-sword.html
Old 11-17-2017, 06:36 PM
octaneman
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default leaking oil pan

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Tight tolerances under there and if things aren't clearanced enough, yes...its been known to happen. I remembered this thread of Undy's...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...own-sword.html
We work on a bunch of these cars, and although the oil pan is the main suspect and or oil cooler, the main culprit we have found is the cross bolts on the block, they should be removed, siliconed at the end and re-torqued, and that seems to have solved virtually all the issues we have found. Worth a look

Steve
Old 11-18-2017, 06:47 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by octaneman
We work on a bunch of these cars, and although the oil pan is the main suspect and or oil cooler, the main culprit we have found is the cross bolts on the block, they should be removed, siliconed at the end and re-torqued, and that seems to have solved virtually all the issues we have found. Worth a look

Steve
any tips on telling the difference between wtf is leaking?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Oil Leak