Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Oil cap was off the car probably since it was built...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 05:20 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Oil cap was off the car probably since it was built...

I had the hood up today because I was considering doing an oil change for the first time and I noticed a hole near the dry sump and a little bit of oil residue down in the hole. I thought that was weird and stared at it and thought there should probably be a cap on that. I have not had a Z06 before, so the extra side reservoir is new to me. Well as I stared I saw the cap wedged down below it and was able to fish it out and put it on.

I couldn't believe it. I've had this new car for a month and a half and driven it over 1k miles and the oil cap has been off the whole time. A little mad for not noticing it before, but it's easy to miss as it's right at the upper passenger side. But, one doesn't think they need to check for an oil cap being in place on a brand new car.

Amazingly, it doesn't look like hardly any oil got out. The oil level was still at full and there wasn't a bunch of oil coating everything below the hole. There basically wasn't any oil residue except right around the hole on the edges and a little bit of oil on the underside of the hood. I wiped it right up and it seems fine.

I'm definitely changing the oil early now because I'm sure some dirt got down in there. Anything else I should be worried about? Pretty disappointed this happened. I guess the dry sump reservoir isn't pressurized or it would have painted the window on the hood with oil?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:37 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a pretty quiet area, well away from the thrashing valve train. Disturbing, but not a big deal. Most spillage there would be from pulling Gs around corners causing the sump reservoir to slosh.

Last edited by 911/Q45; 02-14-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:08 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Consider yourself lucky it's a dry sump. Should be OK. Know your car.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:32 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing the oil was topped off during the PDI. Probably just a sloppy tech. Change it now if it means you'll sleep better, but it's unlikely much dirt or too many small birds fell in there.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Trevor @ Texas Speed
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't feel too great about it, but I'm sure you'll be fine. The level in the dry-sump tank is different when running vs. not running. If you lived in dusty West Texas, I would have wanted it to be acknowledged by the dealer.

Do an oil and filter change and enjoy your new car!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:19 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I had the hood up today because I was considering doing an oil change for the first time and I noticed a hole near the dry sump and a little bit of oil residue down in the hole. I thought that was weird and stared at it and thought there should probably be a cap on that. I have not had a Z06 before, so the extra side reservoir is new to me. Well as I stared I saw the cap wedged down below it and was able to fish it out and put it on.

I couldn't believe it. I've had this new car for a month and a half and driven it over 1k miles and the oil cap has been off the whole time. A little mad for not noticing it before, but it's easy to miss as it's right at the upper passenger side. But, one doesn't think they need to check for an oil cap being in place on a brand new car.

Amazingly, it doesn't look like hardly any oil got out. The oil level was still at full and there wasn't a bunch of oil coating everything below the hole. There basically wasn't any oil residue except right around the hole on the edges and a little bit of oil on the underside of the hood. I wiped it right up and it seems fine.

I'm definitely changing the oil early now because I'm sure some dirt got down in there. Anything else I should be worried about? Pretty disappointed this happened. I guess the dry sump reservoir isn't pressurized or it would have painted the window on the hood with oil?
I am surprised you could have the car that long and not have opened the hood at least a thousand times showing it off. After 40 plus GM cars/trucks I have to fully inspect everything, and the first thing is to check differential oil levels, had several Suburban's, one Escalade and two Corvette's with just about no gear oil, should not have to do that.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:33 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I am upset at myself for not noticing sooner, but all appears to be well. I do my own oil changes, brake fluid flushes, tire/wheels swaps, etc. for track days, so I'm not totally incompetent. I just flat didn't notice the cap wasn't ever on the dry-sump tank as it's all black plastic, etc. up there and it's at the far upper portion of the passenger side. Easy to miss unless you're looking specifically for it.

Like I said, there were a few drops of oil on the underside of the hood and just a little bit of oil residue around the edges of the hole. Zero oil or evidence of oil below the cap area, so I think I dodged a bullet. Glad that area isn't pressurized or there wasn't much chance for the oil to slosh out of the tank based on how it's designed apparently.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil cap was off the car probably since it was built...

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Oil cap was off the car probably since it was built...