Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Buying either Mclaren, 458, ZR1 in May

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:32 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 890 Likes on 409 Posts

Default Buying either Mclaren, 458, ZR1 in May

I am going to treat myself within the next few months to a Ferrari, McClaren or ZR1. When finished, buying a ZR1 will save allot of money, but money is not my primary consideration.

McLaren - Bottom line, where do you get the damn thing serviced?

Ferrari 458 - I own a 430, really enjoy it. I have no need to own two Ferrari's and even after watching it made at the factory, and my appreciation of the dual clutch (great shifting) , I am not excited about giving up my 430 for a 458.

ZR1 - I almost bought a Mercedes S63 and decided to buy a Cadillac CTS-V, painted it all black, added 100hp, saved about $75,000, and never looked back. I am beginning (who would have thought) to seriously consider not getting a McClaren or Ferrari, but another GM product.

As I envision the car, I see the need for Caravagio Interior ($20,000), but little else, ultimately looking like the car pictured in the "picture shoot" thread presented by Corvette Wheels. I suspect when said and done, I will have a car costing considerably less than $150,000.

I road race (wheel to wheel) and don't have a need to track the ZR1, but might on occassion.

As I reflect on this thread, not sure why I am writing it ---------just thinking out loud.

Best
Old 02-19-2011, 07:59 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Sounds like the ZR1 with a custom interior (which would be sweet indeed) is the way to go. And you'd still have your 430 for when you get the F-car itch.

Now all you have to do decide on color. . . .
Old 02-19-2011, 08:00 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mclaren is my choice.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:05 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 355Spider
Mclaren is my choice.
No argunment, but, again, what happens when you need it tuned? Best
Old 02-19-2011, 08:06 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Sounds like the ZR1 with a custom interior (which would be sweet indeed) is the way to go. And you'd still have your 430 for when you get the F-car itch.

Now all you have to do decide on color. . . .
The color black with black wheels and the interor as close to Cuio as possible. No brainer for me. Best
Old 02-19-2011, 08:14 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by RBK
The color black with black wheels and the interor as close to Cuio as possible. No brainer for me. Best

That would make for one sweet (and potent) ride.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:36 PM
pinoyZR1
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Mclaren would be the "it" car for the moment. If money is not an issue, the technological advantages of the Mclaren would sway me in its direction. Incredible low weight, high hp, 7 speed paddle gear box, pneumatic suspension and not to mention a whole lot of F1 know-how. The ZR1 is a beast on track but there are advantages to fast and precise shifts around a track. Just when was the last time any F1 manufacturer used a "manual" gearbox? Now, for sheer fun and the visceral feeling of being in absolute control of a wild beast, among your listed options, the ZR1 hands down. If you want the noteriaty and prestige with top performance, 458 will be your choice. Now, to have the latest and greatest, for the moment, go get yourself into a MP4-12c.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:38 PM
pinoyZR1
Instructor

Tough life man! LOL! Good luck and post pics of the winner!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:54 PM
John@Caravaggio Corvettes
Safety Car

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

I also think a ZR1, you already own a horse and there is no better car. I too agree with a black car with the Ferrari tan inside. I'd also suggest a set of HRE wheels, carbon mirrors and headlights just to finish it off. Just my opinion.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:55 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I thought McLaren offered tech via computer?

BTW, I hate you and I mean that in the nicest way possible

can't wait to see the pics of whatever you get.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:36 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Good luck getting a McLaren too. Waiting list is already significant here in DFW.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:37 PM
pinoyZR1
Instructor

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Good luck getting a McLaren too. Waiting list is already significant here in DFW.
How much over msrp are they asking?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Perdition
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-19-2011, 10:58 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

if money was no object, itd be 1.McLaren, 2.458, 3.ZR1

at the end of the day...and 30 years from now the ZR1 will be a Corvette, the McLaren will be a MCLAREN!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:40 AM
JBHunter
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

The McLaren company has a dealership network already set up...we have one...Chicago has one...and others as well...so you can have it sold/serviced without a problem.

The Ferrari 458 is likely significantly "more" car than an F430 according to those that have both...(reading from Ferrari-Chat)

The ZR1 is likely a more well rounded car than your supercharged Z06...brakes, suspension, and Michelin tires...

The beauty in all of this is that from your posts, you are well informed, a DEFINATE CAR-GUY and affluent...so, you can and will make the right decision for yourself.

Also, if, after you take delivery of your new supercar, you feel or find out that you made a mistake, you can offload the car and try another...you have the means, and your car will be in excellent shape.

I think what I would do, if I were in your shoes is buy the car that makes me feel that this is "The One"...and I think different cars do that for different folks...

I like ZR1s, I like 458 Italias, I think I will like the new McLaren too, but some of the pictures of the cars, and the relatively small V8 motor leave it 'lacking' in my affinity for it...and I do not feel that way ever looking at the 458, the ZR1, or the Ford GT...

I think you will make a great decision, and hopefully, your present Z06 will not keep you from seriously looking at ZR1s because you want something "new"...I know you said in your post that "money" was not a primary concern, but here in lies the true success of the Chevy...it's way over 1/2 cheaper than the other two cars...with Drivers' School, with a dealer that can service it almost everywhere...and the people here LOVE theirs...what is not to love?

Good luck with your choice...may I offer this...for the $270,000 plus tax, look at a $107,000 ZR1, a $50,000 SUV for the wife...(Acura MDX), a new car for each of your kids (if you have any) and a Cruise for EVERYBODY together...I would almost bet you will have money left over, and the memories of the family cruise will stay with you a long time...or something else like that...Wine Country Tour in NAPA?
Old 02-20-2011, 12:16 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JBHunter
The McLaren company has a dealership network already set up...we have one...Chicago has one...and others as well...so you can have it sold/serviced without a problem.

The Ferrari 458 is likely significantly "more" car than an F430 according to those that have both...(reading from Ferrari-Chat)

The ZR1 is likely a more well rounded car than your supercharged Z06...brakes, suspension, and Michelin tires...

The beauty in all of this is that from your posts, you are well informed, a DEFINATE CAR-GUY and affluent...so, you can and will make the right decision for yourself.

Also, if, after you take delivery of your new supercar, you feel or find out that you made a mistake, you can offload the car and try another...you have the means, and your car will be in excellent shape.

I think what I would do, if I were in your shoes is buy the car that makes me feel that this is "The One"...and I think different cars do that for different folks...

I like ZR1s, I like 458 Italias, I think I will like the new McLaren too, but some of the pictures of the cars, and the relatively small V8 motor leave it 'lacking' in my affinity for it...and I do not feel that way ever looking at the 458, the ZR1, or the Ford GT...

I think you will make a great decision, and hopefully, your present Z06 will not keep you from seriously looking at ZR1s because you want something "new"...I know you said in your post that "money" was not a primary concern, but here in lies the true success of the Chevy...it's way over 1/2 cheaper than the other two cars...with Drivers' School, with a dealer that can service it almost everywhere...and the people here LOVE theirs...what is not to love?

Good luck with your choice...may I offer this...for the $270,000 plus tax, look at a $107,000 ZR1, a $50,000 SUV for the wife...(Acura MDX), a new car for each of your kids (if you have any) and a Cruise for EVERYBODY together...I would almost bet you will have money left over, and the memories of the family cruise will stay with you a long time...or something else like that...Wine Country Tour in NAPA?
I appreciate the time you took sharing your views. I have been lucky/fortunate owning and driving the car I wanted "when I wanted it", often not the case. I believe I mentioned I had ordered a Mercedes V12 , and wanted the phone removed which Merdeces refused to do. I cancelled the order and bought a Cadillac CTS -V (on my mind since first introduced to me by my friend and co race buddy John Heinrecy, after he set the record in Germany). I removed the badges, blackened the chrome and wheels, added a 100hp, and never looked back. Also saved $75,000 or more.

For what it may be worth to others, after enjoying various cars, going through the stage of "got to have it" and for a time, sometime ago, actually caring what others thought, today, I can watch a train go by and not feel the need to jump aboard, have no loyalty to a marque, and keep my eyes on the road, not knowing or caring what others think . I am never rude to someone interested, but they are not part of the buying equation.

I have owned a Ferrari 360 and 430. I visited the Maranello Factory considering buying a 458, but still enjoy the 430 too much to feel a need to change. I have also learned that the more you have the shorter the "novelty time frame lasts, so too many change more often with less enjoyment.

The McLaren is "new", and from what I see fairly spartan inside. As suggested in the Video on this thread, it may lack the "soul" of the Ferrari. I know what that means, and found it missing in everything from a Lexus to an Aston Martin, both good cars but no emotion. If the service issue is handled, it will be a contender.

The ZR1 drives nicely. Great power and suspension. I like what Caravagio does to the interior and for the price it cannot be beat. On the other hand, and now we get into the deepest recesses of my particular psyche, it is "still" a Corvette. It happened to me with Porsche's after owning 5 of them. The day I sat in my last , it felt no different than the first.

Part of the lesson for those young enough to benefit and smart enough to understand, it is important to "space things out" or time overtakes you, even if you have the money. "Pleasure" lasts only so long and the time frames are shorter and shorter the more you have or have had.

I look forward to choosing another car soon. Incidentally, my wife loves the Jeep Grand Cherokee we bought last year after looking at every possible SUV (except for the Hemi's lousy gas mileage) and she will be getting a Masaratti this year, and finally letting go of her 8 year old Lexus (she has enough soul for both her and the car).

Wow - long post, but it is a Sunday morning, the kids are still sleeping and my wife walking. Have to wait to eat, no e mails, and T.V. is lousy this early.

Best
Old 02-20-2011, 02:48 PM
ROCKGT
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd say buy a Gray ZR1, upgrade the interior and wheels.
You don't track the cars, you can't race them on the streets, you don't need more attention (otherwise you'd have a Ford GT) and you already own one of the most beautiful Fcar. You need a beast you can shift yourself, spin the tires every time you take it out and a car you can take to the market, movies, work, etc...
Unless you need another garage enhancer...
Just my .02

Get notified of new replies

To Buying either Mclaren, 458, ZR1 in May

Old 02-20-2011, 04:50 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If not used on the track, I'd just experience frustration driving any of these only on the street.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:09 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I've got a couple buddies with F-430's and a friend with a stable full of exotics, including a Ford GT and a Lingenfelter C6 that has more power than my stock ZR1.

The Ferrari owners would never think of hop in them to go out shopping or take the wife to dinner, and the other guy's C6 is the only car he'll take out regularly just to do errands, etc.

I drive my ZR1 everyday - shopping, dining, road trips.

If you want a high performance car to drive regularly and that will give you outstanding comfort on a road trip, the ZR1 is probably the choice.

If you want something to drive 1,000 miles/year for weekend cruising and car shows, get another real exotic and drive the CTS-V around town.

Bob
Old 02-20-2011, 07:09 PM
bgreen83
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man your a lucky man! i wish i had to make a hard decision like that.i think the mclaren would be a good choice. i love the ZR1 and would love to have one but the mclaren seems to be more advanced than anything else out there for the price.

if you need your grass cut or anything just give me a call. i'd like to buy a zr1 lol.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Buying either Mclaren, 458, ZR1 in May