Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Long time lurker zo6 Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 04:02 PM
ckzo6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Long time lurker zo6 Question

Hello every one this is my first post! I'm unfortunately in a position where I have to start looking for a new car. My current car is a 2002 Camaro SS A4 with 95000 miles on it. The car is starting to show signs of a problem that I'm not willing to sink money into.

My former car was a 99 SS m6, it was a fun car (old LS1.com days) that was great on 1st gear throttle jabs and rowin' thru the gears with drag radials. Even though my best time was 13.36@ 107 compared to my A4's 12.98@ 106. The m6 was doggy of the line and near impossible to get a good consistant launch from a stop it was either chirp and bog or just spin the tires. Maybe torque management was at fault.

Ok,my question ....... Is the zo6 due to its light weight and 427 really easy to get off the line without bogging or slipping the clutch too much to make it a pain to drive in stop and go parking lot situations? I have seen a vid of a German guy go 0-150 in 4th gear but it seems like driving like that is abusive to the bottom end and clutch and should not be the norm.

I'm thinking a GS with an A6 would be the best of both worlds but I'm not crazy about the gills and from lurking I have seen too many guys end up loosing their butt on a trade because the lure of the zo6 was too much to deny.I want to do it right the first time.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,Chris
Old 02-26-2011, 04:10 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,565 Likes on 2,164 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

My Z06 does not bog nor do I need to ride the clutch for easy starts in first gear. The clutch engages and the car goes effortlessly. Plenty of low end torque. Go for the Z and you will have no regrets, believe me
Old 02-26-2011, 04:14 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by ckzo6
Hello every one this is my first post! I'm unfortunately in a position where I have to start looking for a new car. My current car is a 2002 Camaro SS A4 with 95000 miles on it. The car is starting to show signs of a problem that I'm not willing to sink money into.

My former car was a 99 SS m6, it was a fun car (old LS1.com days) that was great on 1st gear throttle jabs and rowin' thru the gears with drag radials. Even though my best time was 13.36@ 107 compared to my A4's 12.98@ 106. The m6 was doggy of the line and near impossible to get a good consistant launch from a stop it was either chirp and bog or just spin the tires. Maybe torque management was at fault.

Ok,my question ....... Is the zo6 due to its light weight and 427 really easy to get off the line without bogging or slipping the clutch too much to make it a pain to drive in stop and go parking lot situations? I have seen a vid of a German guy go 0-150 in 4th gear but it seems like driving like that is abusive to the bottom end and clutch and should not be the norm.

I'm thinking a GS with an A6 would be the best of both worlds but I'm not crazy about the gills and from lurking I have seen too many guys end up loosing their butt on a trade because the lure of the zo6 was too much to deny.I want to do it right the first time.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,Chris
Stop and go NO PROBLEM. Feels like any other car on the road.

I tell people that the Z06 is so docile that that its easy to forget there is 505HP under the hood, UNTIL you press the loud pedel a bit hard.

Your granny could drive it and never have a clue how much power is there.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:19 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

The Z06 like any manual transmission car will bog if not driven correctly. The fact is the Z06 will easily over power the stock rubber leaving you with the opposite problem, tons of wheel spin and even axle hop. Mine is a DD and is so smooth and easily driven you forget just how powerful this car is.

But throw in some DRs and driven properly a 100% OEM stock Z06 is an animal

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-129-50-a.html

Tom
Old 02-26-2011, 04:34 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

What do you guys think?

Thanks,Chris
GS with an A6 and an E-force kit would be a fun car...especially in a vert.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

What do you guys think?

Thanks,Chris
Been caught in rush hour traffic on 100 degree days with AC on. My Z06 ran cool, and the clutch was light and easy. I could easily take off in first gear at idle with out pushing on the gas. A stock z06 is as docile as any car I have driven. But when you push hard on the loud pedal, watch out!!!!

I don't think i would ever take off from a dead stop in 4th. I regularly leave it in second when coming to a yield sign at 2 or 3 mph and accelerate away - too lazy to drop it down in first. it effortlessly pulls away no lurching, pinging. Its absolutely smooth.

I will also say with the fixed roof my 2009 z06 is as tight as a drum. no rattles or cowl shake. feels more secure with no rattles compared to a
c6 with the removable top.

My c4 zr1 even though i loved that thing rattled and buzzed like crazy with lots of cowl shake and really bad cowl shake with removable roof out.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:09 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Been caught in rush hour traffic on 100 degree days with AC on. My Z06 ran cool, and the clutch was light and easy. I could easily take off in first gear at idle with out pushing on the gas. A stock z06 is as docile as any car I have driven. But when you push hard on the loud pedal, watch out!!!!

I don't think i would ever take off from a dead stop in 4th. I regularly leave it in second when coming to a yield sign at 2 or 3 mph and accelerate away - too lazy to drop it down in first. it effortlessly pulls away no lurching, pinging. Its absolutely smooth.

I will also say with the fixed roof my 2009 z06 is as tight as a drum. no rattles or cowl shake. feels more secure with no rattles compared to a
c6 with the removable top.

My c4 zr1 even though i loved that thing rattled and buzzed like crazy with lots of cowl shake and really bad cowl shake with removable roof out.
I saw the "rattle testing" they do at BG first-hand, and am impressed!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:30 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any manual is a PIA in stop and go traffic IMO. But the Z is no worse than others.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:32 AM
96LT1Conn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Agree with Mr Gizmo. Traffic jams are pretty rare where I drive, but I did discover, almost by accident, that you do not need to even touch the gas pedal in parking lot/stop and go situations. One less thing to worry about when you're already pissed off about the traffic.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by capevettes
My Z06 does not bog nor do I need to ride the clutch for easy starts in first gear. The clutch engages and the car goes effortlessly. Plenty of low end torque. Go for the Z and you will have no regrets, believe me
100%

GO for the C6 Z and you will never look back and be REAL HAPPY that you did!
Old 02-27-2011, 02:45 AM
ckzo6
Advanced

Thank's guys! I'm going to have to test drive one but I think I may end up going for it.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

I bought one 6 weeks ago and haven't driven it yet. Seems good in the warehouse. I'd say go with the z with absolutely no experience behind the wheel (yet).
Need summer to arrive!
Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless you stomp the loud pedal, these cars are as docile as a Camry.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:21 PM
spoon man
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Ok,my question ....... Is the zo6 due to its light weight and 427 really easy to get off the line without bogging or slipping the clutch too much to make it a pain to drive in stop and go parking lot situations?
are you simply talking "daily driving?" If so, the car is super easy to drive day to day. If you mean dragging and nailing killer 60 times, then yeah, it takes some practice to kill it in these cars.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It's inevitable once you test a Z06 you will want one. The car is simply to impressive not to want to buy it plain and simple and no other car on the planet in my opinion will match the performance for the dollars spent. If you were blindfolded and told you were in a wide open parking lot and just drive the car away you wouldn't know if you were in a Z06 or a Yukon Denali it is so nice and easy to drive.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:01 PM
1SLOF4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on what you want out of the car. I have owned a couple of M6 F-bodies and they are very tricky to launch. Don't expect anything less from the Z06 on the drag strip. If you want a drag car, the auto will be more consistent and might even turn in better times if you aren't good launching a manual (however I'm not real knowledgeable on what to expect from a C6 GS auto on the strip). The Z06 is just as streetable as an M6 F-body (except for ground clearance).
Old 03-01-2011, 02:04 PM
ckzo6
Advanced

Ok so yesterday I was able to test drive a black 2011 3 lz with 25 miles on it. The car had been sitting so long the rear rotors were rusted to the pads and I stalled it as soon as I released the clutch breaking the rotors free.Keep in mind I haven't driven a manual tranny in about 9 years so it took a little getting used to at first. I was a little shocked at how far up the pedal went to engage the clutch, it was so high I was thinking I still had it in neutral.Overall it wasnt too bad,I think I would just have to get used to it all over again.As far as being docile and smooth it really was just like driving a normal car, very quiet and uneventful.

My time with the car was limited and you can only evaluate a small portion of what this car has to offer on public roads with a salesperson but I did give it full throttle roll on in first and a bit in second.I think traction control was on as it just barked the tires a bit and took off like hell without getting sideways.The engine was very smooth and spooled up quicker than anything I had ever driven, btw the zr1 exhaust sounds AWSOME.

The next car I need to drive is the Grand Sport with 2:73's and NPP.

Chris

Get notified of new replies

To Long time lurker zo6 Question

Old 03-01-2011, 02:29 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Ok so yesterday I was able to test drive a black 2011 3 lz with 25 miles on it. The car had been sitting so long the rear rotors were rusted to the pads and I stalled it as soon as I released the clutch breaking the rotors free.Keep in mind I haven't driven a manual tranny in about 9 years so it took a little getting used to at first. I was a little shocked at how far up the pedal went to engage the clutch, it was so high I was thinking I still had it in neutral.Overall it wasnt too bad,I think I would just have to get used to it all over again.As far as being docile and smooth it really was just like driving a normal car, very quiet and uneventful.

My time with the car was limited and you can only evaluate a small portion of what this car has to offer on public roads with a salesperson but I did give it full throttle roll on in first and a bit in second.I think traction control was on as it just barked the tires a bit and took off like hell without getting sideways.The engine was very smooth and spooled up quicker than anything I had ever driven, btw the zr1 exhaust sounds AWSOME.

The next car I need to drive is the Grand Sport with 2:73's and NPP.

Chris
While the GS is a nice car after driving a Z06 you going to be saying/thinking "Where’s the Beef" ?
Old 03-01-2011, 02:35 PM
ckzo6
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1SLOF4
Depends on what you want out of the car. I have owned a couple of M6 F-bodies and they are very tricky to launch. Don't expect anything less from the Z06 on the drag strip. If you want a drag car, the auto will be more consistent and might even turn in better times if you aren't good launching a manual (however I'm not real knowledgeable on what to expect from a C6 GS auto on the strip). The Z06 is just as streetable as an M6 F-body (except for ground clearance).
I guess I should give a little history.As you probably know back in the good old days of the 4th gen F bod. Guys were getting low 11's with boltons and a converter granted a lot of these were at the countrys best tracks, Houston,MIR etc. My local track Carlsbad was slippery and its all moot because its been turned into an office park.That was the idea of getting an auto. Now im older and have no desire to drag race but I still enjoy the ability to destroy some superior cars with my lowly stock SS. The ease at which I can throttle squeeze this car out of the hole has shocked At least one c6 3 times in a row to the tune of several car lengths.

I have no illusions of my car being better or faster than a base c6 its just I keep my cars a long time and for this kind of money I need to be happy with everything and make the right choice.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Ok,my question ....... Is the zo6 due to its light weight and 427 really easy to get off the line without bogging or slipping the clutch too much to make it a pain to drive in stop and go parking lot situations?
For what a Z06 can deliver, I for one am floored how smoothly the clutch functions. S&G driving wouldn't, to me, be a big issue unless you're driving 50 miles into and out of a city 5 days a week. Any manual becomes tiresome, then.

I have seen a vid of a German guy go 0-150 in 4th gear but it seems like driving like that is abusive to the bottom end and clutch and should not be the norm.

Just a demonstration, Chris. The LS-7 has enormous torque; in fact, the German should've kept going all the way to 198.
But you're correct, driving a Z06 around in 5th would certainly be 'abusive'.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Long time lurker zo6 Question