Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] For those of you with the LATEST MGW shifter with the STOCK Z06 box, please reply....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:16 PM
20psirabbit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ A name i recognize from svtp! I just picked up a c6z myself and am going to an mgw, their shifter was absolutely amazing in my terminator versus the stocker. Can't wait for it to get here
Old 08-23-2011, 11:09 PM
meatbag
Advanced

Just put mine in the other night and its perfect
Old 08-30-2011, 03:46 PM
RestoRoc89
Instructor

Does anyone have problems getting used to the 2-3 shift with the MGW? I just installed the latest design (with the thread-in shift stick). It feels very solid, but I keep hitting the gate between 3rd and 5th when shifting out of 2nd under moderate acceleration. It's driving me nuts as I thought this shifter was supposed to make the 2-3 shift nearly impossible to miss. I find that I have to make sure I only push straight up from 2 to hit 3. If I push over at all, I hit the gate instead (feels like punching a wall...). I suppose it will take me some time to unlearn how to use the stock '08+ shifter. Curious to know if anyone else has experienced this.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:10 PM
RestoRoc89
Instructor

Just wanted to follow up on this. Now that the shifter is broken in, it's smoooooth as butter and I have no trouble at all hitting third.

Originally Posted by RestoRoc89
Does anyone have problems getting used to the 2-3 shift with the MGW? I just installed the latest design (with the thread-in shift stick). It feels very solid, but I keep hitting the gate between 3rd and 5th when shifting out of 2nd under moderate acceleration. It's driving me nuts as I thought this shifter was supposed to make the 2-3 shift nearly impossible to miss. I find that I have to make sure I only push straight up from 2 to hit 3. If I push over at all, I hit the gate instead (feels like punching a wall...). I suppose it will take me some time to unlearn how to use the stock '08+ shifter. Curious to know if anyone else has experienced this.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:16 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Does the MGW Shifter make the shifter feel less "notchy"? And easier to shift?
I'd want to keep the stock **** and box
Old 11-20-2011, 02:28 AM
paisa427
Instructor

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
Does the MGW Shifter make the shifter feel less "notchy"? And easier to shift?
I'd want to keep the stock **** and box
Less notchy, yes. Since it a short throw it will take more effort to shift, but gives it that "rifle bolt cocking" very precise feel to it. i love the way my mgw shifter feels and shifts.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Wing42
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

I put mine in the first week of October... I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes. I am lucky enough to live in the Augusta Georgia area and was able to take my Z to George and his crew at the MGW shop. They were great to work with and even installed the new shifter and shifter box for me after the purchase.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:46 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Originally Posted by paisa427
Less notchy, yes. Since it a short throw it will take more effort to shift, but gives it that "rifle bolt cocking" very precise feel to it. i love the way my mgw shifter feels and shifts.
Does it take a while to get use to shifting the 2 to 3 shift at wot? Or is it easier to make that shift? I have no problems hitting it now so I don't want to start after I install a new shifter lol
Old 11-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Ekliptix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the latest version in my 08 Z06. It's noisy in the 1st 3 gears, but I think it's normaly transmission noise that was previously quietened by the thick rubber seal with the stock shifter that had to be partially cut away to accomidate the MGW shifter. The buzz occurs when there's any load on the transmission, so not when coasting. I'm still glad I got it, for the feel, but it make the Z06 sound like a cheaper car.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
Does it take a while to get use to shifting the 2 to 3 shift at wot? Or is it easier to make that shift? I have no problems hitting it now so I don't want to start after I install a new shifter lol
I little harder for me, but my 2>3 shift wasn't always spot on before either.... I have missed the gate a couple times and rev'd in neutral. I think it is a better shifter regardless, and I just need to practice. When I figure it out, I'm sure I'll praise it.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:57 PM
20psirabbit
Racer

I had an MGW is my previous vehicle and I loved it, but it made me used to what to expect from this one.
It is notchier than the stock shifter, and it has detent/spring pressure to get to 1/2 and 5/6, so coming out of the 2nd going to third is very easy to find for me. I hit the 3/5 gate every time on the stock shifter because there's nothing to guide you to 3rd gear, I'm sure if you're used to it you'll have a different feel with the new shifter. It nothing I think you should worry about, I can't see anyone liking the new feel less.
As far as the shift throw, it's shorter than stock but not too short for my taste.
All in all, I feel like the MGW makes the shifter the way I wish it was from the factory. No regrets about it.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:37 PM
abstruse1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the MGW shifter in my 2009 Z and it's great. I modified the shaft to use a cueball ****, and it's rather short, so shifting effort is slightly higher than ideal -- especially shifting into R. I may unscrew it a bit to help this.

I can't remember -- there are springs built into the shifter, right? Perhaps the R lockout spring is a bit too stiff.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by abstruse1
I can't remember -- there are springs built into the shifter, right? Perhaps the R lockout spring is a bit too stiff.
No springs. At least not in mine.

Z//
Old 11-20-2011, 07:59 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Thanks for the replies guys sounds like a good mod I'll have to add.
So there is a reverse lockout still on it?
Old 11-20-2011, 11:53 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't add much but I installed the latest MGW with the shaft for the stock **** the first part of September. I kept the stock '07 Z box and reused the stock shift **** because I actually like it. Shifting is extremely positive and precise. The increased effort required to shift is, in my opinion, about the same as the increase in the lever ratio. I have never raced my Z but when I am out just cruizing around, I can bang off 2-3 shifts like Ronne Sox. I absolutely love this thing and I haven't heard any buzzing or rattling so far. My stock shifter only rattled on me once when pulling a long, steep hill in third at 4500 to 6000 rpm. And, no, I'm not telling where.
Gary

Last edited by 40YRW8; 11-22-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] For those of you with the LATEST MGW shifter with the STOCK Z06 box, please reply....