Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How do you get rid of the "exhaust popping" on deceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:24 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,445 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It's great sound.

High performance V8 with true dual exhaust have sounded like that for decades. Where you been?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:12 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 452 Likes on 255 Posts

Popping on decel is part of the game, obviously you have never been around race cars.
I've personally been drag racing for almost 40 years so I know a thing or two about open exhaust

It's great sound.

High performance V8 with true dual exhaust have sounded like that for decades. Where you been?
Sorry sir, no they haven't....not at least on any of my cars.....they popped when either the header flange gasket was cracked or collector gasket cracked, otherwise ZERO popping!

And to you exhaust-popping lovers....HEY GUYS...lighten-up a bit! or maybe go pop a bit I didn't start this thread to debate the merits of popping.....I was seeking the collective expertise of this forum for a technical answer, not to criticize those that like popping. Thanks to those that contributed their positive input!

And for those of you still interested in GM's official position on this I have it! I called my newly found GM "insider" (Group Manager, Brand Quality Performance Cars / Corvette) and here's what he told me:
The C6 Z06 exhaust design mandated the placement of the CAT's right next to the exhaust manifolds in order to meet cold start-up emissions. By placing the converters so close to the cylinder heads the side affect created by the larger overlap of the LS7 cam (and to a similar degree on the ZR1) is the unburned hydrocarbons are being lit-off by the CAT's and the popping condition is actually the worst when the car is cold due to the richer condition created by the cold idle/running condition. This condition has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the C6 exhaust system or muffler design!
Seems pretty straight forward to me and several others have posted their thoughts as well along a siliar line of thought.

Now for the rest of you....I'm very curious to know if anyone that has headers on their car with no cats.....does your car still pop?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Ultimo Hombre
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL! open exhaust (and/or expertise) does not necessarily equal "pop"... The drag style really short pipes will not pop like you describe.
I think it's a mixture of backpressure, hot/cold air/exhaust, and unburnt fuel.
Road race cars of all levels and power do it all the time, every lap of every race.

Get used to it. You bought a Z06, it's primarily built for road racing
Old 03-18-2011, 12:04 AM
JsnMR2
Pro

Originally Posted by JMB
I've personally been drag racing for almost 40 years so I know a thing or two about open exhaust

Sorry sir, no they haven't....not at least on any of my cars.....they popped when either the header flange gasket was cracked or collector gasket cracked, otherwise ZERO popping!

And to you exhaust-popping lovers....HEY GUYS...lighten-up a bit! or maybe go pop a bit I didn't start this thread to debate the merits of popping.....I was seeking the collective expertise of this forum for a technical answer, not to criticize those that like popping. Thanks to those that contributed their positive input!

And for those of you still interested in GM's official position on this I have it! I called my newly found GM "insider" (Group Manager, Brand Quality Performance Cars / Corvette) and here's what he told me:
Seems pretty straight forward to me and several others have posted their thoughts as well along a siliar line of thought.

Now for the rest of you....I'm very curious to know if anyone that has headers on their car with no cats.....does your car still pop?
I think MOST of the people commenting on this thread are joking for the most part.

As I said in my last post on this thread, I have LG long tubes with no cats, and my exhaust pops like crazy. I also have a Corsa rear section though.

My MR2 has a very short exhaust with no cats/mufflers exct, and it does not pop at all. It's only around 4 feet long with few bends though.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:36 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB

I and others gave you the technical answer. Un-burned fuel exploding in the exhaust, and the straight-pipes allow you to hear it.

I had it on my LS1 a little (stock exhaust), and I had it on other cars as well.

GM tunes their engines rather rich.

Your modded stuff probably not so much.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:12 AM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default I disagree

I actually like what I would call a burble on downshifts.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:35 AM
IHTFP
Instructor

[QUOTE=JMB;1577087242]I've personally been drag racing for almost 40 years so I know a thing or two about open exhaust

Wow, impressive.

Go to a NASCAR race some time and report back to us if you hear any popping on decel.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:54 AM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 452 Likes on 255 Posts

Go to a NASCAR race some time and report back to us if you hear any popping on decel.
Been drag racing, never been to NASCAR but would like to go someday!

I think MOST of the people commenting on this thread are joking for the most part.
I know they are, I just flippin' 'em crap right back...no harm no foul! We're all in the Z06 Fraternity
Old 03-18-2011, 08:32 AM
BubbaDuss
Burning Brakes

If you know what you are listening for, you can hear the stock exhaust popping, its just terribly muffled.

When you open it up, the popping is much more apparent. tuning is how you fix it entirely. its a pretty simple change.

I miss my GTO. LT's with a Borla split exit exhaust and a giant cam... It was like a space shuttle, anywhere I double clutched, it announced my arrival with a few sonic booms.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by foremaw
I would be sorely disappointed if I did not have it. Nothing sounds better than a V-8 coming down.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Dragon777
Navigator

I have a base C6 with ZR1 mufflers welded to the 2,5" piping of the factory C6. Strange thing is that there is no popping on decel at all, but just a loud swoosh of air flowing through a pipe. As everybody in here is reporting about popping on decel, I start thinking if anything may be wrong with my setup.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

The easiest way to stop the popping would be to put a "mild to wild" kit on it and just close the exhaust valves when it bothers you.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

popping is the sheet
Old 07-29-2011, 01:18 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a X pipe on my 2008 Z06 and the popping for worse. I say worse becuase it would pop more but i love that sound...If anything more would be awesome
Old 10-02-2011, 01:21 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Received 165 Likes on 132 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I am in a pickle right now...there is a fantastic 08 c6 z06 that's available right now. Going for a great price. BUT, I am really in love with the 2011 Z06 exhaust. Has anybody moved from an '06-'10 z06 into a 2011? I'm trying to figure out how I can make an '06-10 Z06 sound as good as the 2011 exhausts. The immense amount of burbling and popping from the 2011 Zo6 is what I want.

I've tried stock pre-2011's with the stock, corsa, and b&b fusion exhausts (those were the only mods on the cars). The most burbling and popping came from the b&b fusions. But, it's still not nearly as good as the 2011 system. And the good thing about getting a 2011 is that if a LEO does decide to pull me over, he won't ticket me for an aftermarket exhaust...what do I do??? From what the engineers said, I can't just put in the 2011 exhaust system into the '08 because there is also the engine tuning aspect that leave the exhaust valves open for a bit on the 2011, that enhances the burbling and popping sounds.

I'd really like to save a bunch of money by getting the '08, but the 2011 exhaust is truly spectacular for what it is.
Thanks CorvetteForum!

Last edited by iwantaz06now; 10-02-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:38 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 09 doesn't do it . Whats up with that ?
I do like the sound , my 02Z did it and that was music to my ears.
I'm getting an 04 Z16 next week and I hope to hear the popping sound on it .
Old 10-02-2011, 01:59 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

what ever you do, don't bump the compression to 13:1 with headers, catless midpipe and muffler mod. Holy popping on decel. good thing i like it though.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you get rid of the "exhaust popping" on deceleration?

Old 10-02-2011, 02:16 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
I've just purchased a 2011 Z06 and the only thing that drives me up the wall about this car is the hidious sounding popping coming from the exhaust when the car is decelerating in gear or between spirited shifts This sound reminds me of a cheap car with leaky header gaskets!

Are there moisture drain holes or something else that needs to be plugged on the head pipes to cure this? What is causing this? I've tried to do a search on this forum but came up empty handed.
What you need is longtubes with Cherry Bombs! No cats. NoX/H pipe. Just Cherry Bombs! Oh yeah, get it tuned too!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:31 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Received 165 Likes on 132 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

NORTY...Did I mention I'd much prefer to keep my warranty!
Old 10-02-2011, 04:57 PM
20psirabbit
Racer

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
I put a X pipe on my 2008 Z06 and the popping for worse. I say worse becuase it would pop more but i love that sound...If anything more would be awesome
Sooooooo, is anyone selling a '11/zr1 x-pipe? I love the pop, and I just ordered a set of Fusions, should make for some ruckus near my house soon

Quick Reply: [Z06] How do you get rid of the "exhaust popping" on deceleration?