Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Owners (Past, present) C6 Z06 & Gen III, IV Viper

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:41 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
For the record, I'm an hourly paid person. What matters is the rate per hour
Even so, I can get adoption papers drawn up and over-nighted to you. Just let me know!
Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 AM
The running man
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of good info in this tread. You Viper owners have cleared up a lot of misconceptions for me. Like many of you, I've dreamed about owning a Viper long before I was old enough to drive. However, I had always heard that they were expensive to maintain. I'm glad to hear that their not. I would love to own a 2010 ACR some day. The black ACR with the red stripe looks SICK!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:19 AM
Pappa Prich
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd love to think that I would come into some money over the next couple months and be able to buy out-right a new final addition coupe
Old 04-13-2011, 12:23 AM
laron
Pro

Lots of good info here.

Ive had a vette. 3 vipers and a nsx. Currently have a 2003 Viper.

Problem with the C6 or Z06 or ZR1 is that when it boils down to it your just driveing a corvette. To the general public thats all it is. Also the problem is that as soon as the C7 vette comes out your just in the old C6 or C6Z06.

The C7 will likely rival C6z06 performance and boom their you go your just in the old vette that you purchased for 75K in 2009 thats now worth 35K in 2012.

Because they produce so many of them and because they are constantly being one upped. It just never seems like a special ownership. From a 45K base model to fully optioned 120K ZR1.

Now you have two types of owners.

The ones I respect are the guys who realize it just a massed produced sports car that happens to be AWESOME performance for the money. "Come one" 11.4 at 125 mph for 75K. Thats rivaling most 150-200K supercars. 11.1 at 129 mph in the ZR1. That rivaling 200-300K cars.

The ones I dont respect are the ones who cant be honest with them selves. They were rolling a camaro or mustang for years and dreamed of one day rolling a corvette. Finally after years of advanceing in career they are able to afford a C6Z06. They have built up in their mind how this is a rare special american exotic car because for years they couldnt afford it.

I was one of these corvette owners years ago who thought vettes were comparable with Vipers and porshe TT's. It took a long time for me to be honest with my self that I was driving around in a mass produced vette. By the 20th time I rolled through a parking lot with no one noticeing I figured it out.

Viper ownership on the otherhand is completely differant. Everyone thanks my Vipers are brand new. Simply bacause mine is the first or second one theve seen on the street in the past year and they have no real idea of what vipers look like. Most think the car cost well into the 6 figures and 100K is what I hear the most. They are shocked when I tell them it was just 84K back in 2003.

Parking lots and the attention honestly sucks. I dont give a crap about most of the people asking me questions to be honest and would prefer to just go do what i want to do. I also hate coming out of a store and seeing people standing within 1 foot of my car and looking at this and that and trying to see the interior ect. As if the car is on display at a car show or somthing.

ive seen this gen3 viper vs z06 debate so many times. my awnser is simply this.

A 2004 gallardo is as rare as a 2003 viper and the viper is a lil faster while the Gallardo is more exotic. (Id rather have the gallardo)

a 2006 Z06 is Not as rare as a 2003 viper and the z06 is a lil faster while the viper is more exotic (Id rather have the viper)

While in your viper after 6 months of ownership and the fact that you havent seen another srt10 on the road yet and youve seen 8 z06's..You wont be wishing you had the z06 when one rolls by. On the otherhand after 6 months of being in the z06 and seeing 8 z06's and 10 z51's that you thought were z06's and 50 c6's and then haveing that viper roll up beside you......well
Old 04-13-2011, 01:36 AM
Dayton937
Advanced

I'm in a similar situation. Been thinking about it for the last year actually lol. I own a modded GTO as well. The lure for me was uncommon car.

I love the 2008+ ACR. Downside? Probably couldn't afford to mod it extensively.

If I snatched up a z06, it would probably be modded with FI the first week. I also considered LS3 w/ z06 mods, built motor and FI. 1000rwhp goal. No particular reason, just fun.

My dilemma varies a bit more though...
I would take the ACR in heartbeat for various personal reasons after doing research.

It's just a matter of how much will it irritate me when my friends who are going the modded Z route blow my doors off.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:20 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by laron
Lots of good info here.

Problem with the C6 or Z06 or ZR1 is that when it boils down to it your just driveing a corvette. To the general public thats all it is. Also the problem is that as soon as the C7 vette comes out your just in the old C6 or C6Z06.

The C7 will likely rival C6z06 performance and boom their you go your just in the old vette that you purchased for 75K in 2009 thats now worth 35K in 2012.

Because they produce so many of them and because they are constantly being one upped. It just never seems like a special ownership. From a 45K base model to fully optioned 120K ZR1.

The ones I respect are the guys who realize it just a massed produced sports car that happens to be AWESOME performance for the money. "Come one" 11.4 at 125 mph for 75K. Thats rivaling most 150-200K supercars. 11.1 at 129 mph in the ZR1. That rivaling 200-300K cars.

The ones I dont respect are the ones who cant be honest with them selves. They were rolling a camaro or mustang for years and dreamed of one day rolling a corvette. Finally after years of advanceing in career they are able to afford a C6Z06. They have built up in their mind how this is a rare special american exotic car because for years they couldnt afford it.

I was one of these corvette owners years ago who thought vettes were comparable with Vipers and porshe TT's. It took a long time for me to be honest with my self that I was driving around in a mass produced vette. By the 20th time I rolled through a parking lot with no one noticeing I figured it out.

Viper ownership on the otherhand is completely differant. Everyone thanks my Vipers are brand new. Simply bacause mine is the first or second one theve seen on the street in the past year and they have no real idea of what vipers look like. Most think the car cost well into the 6 figures and 100K is what I hear the most. They are shocked when I tell them it was just 84K back in 2003.

Parking lots and the attention honestly sucks. I dont give a crap about most of the people asking me questions to be honest and would prefer to just go do what i want to do. I also hate coming out of a store and seeing people standing within 1 foot of my car and looking at this and that and trying to see the interior ect. As if the car is on display at a car show or somthing.

A 2004 gallardo is as rare as a 2003 viper and the viper is a lil faster while the Gallardo is more exotic. (Id rather have the gallardo)

a 2006 Z06 is Not as rare as a 2003 viper and the z06 is a lil faster while the viper is more exotic (Id rather have the viper)

While in your viper after 6 months of ownership and the fact that you havent seen another srt10 on the road yet and youve seen 8 z06's..You wont be wishing you had the z06 when one rolls by. On the otherhand after 6 months of being in the z06 and seeing 8 z06's and 10 z51's that you thought were z06's and 50 c6's and then haveing that viper roll up beside you......well
The first half of your post talks about how the Corvette doesn't garner the attention the Viper does and conveys the sense that that is a negative.

And in the second part you talk about how much you loathe said attention...

I've had two Vipers myself & know exactly what you're referring to in the second part of your post. I agree that it gets tiresome very quickly. That's why I roll in a Z06. I could not possibly care less that the people around me are ignorant to its performance/differences from any other C6. I buy my cars to impress me.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Iceman427
Pro

Originally Posted by laron
Lots of good info here.

I actually hate people with your attitude. I don't drive a car because of how rare it is, just because 5 other people may or may not have one in my area I drive a car because of the experience I have driving it and owning it. Period. Driving a C6 Z06 is a better overall driving experience TO ME than a GEN 3 Viper. The C6 Z06 is lighter, mods to the power levels I want just as easy or easier, is more comfortable to drive, has cheaper aftermarket parts, and looks just as good TO ME. I actually like the fact that it has traction control. A GEN 4 Viper compares more to a ZR1, and I would actually take a ZR1 over that Viper. Once again, I don't care about production numbers or what it MAY be worth in the future.

You say that a C6 Z06 is not comparable to a Gen 2-3 Viper or a Porsche Turbo, why? Just because of production numbers? That is complete BS. The production numbers of a car does not make it any better or worse. In fact, the less production numbers is has, the more overpriced it is for what you are getting. Gen 3 and 4 Vipers are actually overpriced for what you are getting IMO.

Another thing that a Corvette has the few other cars have. Heritage. Only the 911 rivals a Corvette's heritage. But all you seem to care about is how many other people around you own the car....

I had a chance to get a 996TT, Gen 3 Viper, NSX or C6 Z06. I chose the Z06 and am very happy with my decision. But I am an enthusiast for different reasons that you obviously.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:28 AM
2kvert
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman3K15
I actually hate people with your attitude. I don't drive a car because of how rare it is, just because 5 other people may or may not have one in my area I drive a car because of the experience I have driving it and owning it. Period. Driving a C6 Z06 is a better overall driving experience TO ME than a GEN 3 Viper. The C6 Z06 is lighter, mods to the power levels I want just as easy or easier, is more comfortable to drive, has cheaper aftermarket parts, and looks just as good TO ME. I actually like the fact that it has traction control. A GEN 4 Viper compares more to a ZR1, and I would actually take a ZR1 over that Viper. Once again, I don't care about production numbers or what it MAY be worth in the future.

You say that a C6 Z06 is not comparable to a Gen 2-3 Viper or a Porsche Turbo, why? Just because of production numbers? That is complete BS. The production numbers of a car does not make it any better or worse. In fact, the less production numbers is has, the more overpriced it is for what you are getting. Gen 3 and 4 Vipers are actually overpriced for what you are getting IMO.

Another thing that a Corvette has the few other cars have. Heritage. Only the 911 rivals a Corvette's heritage. But all you seem to care about is how many other people around you own the car....

I had a chance to get a 996TT, Gen 3 Viper, NSX or C6 Z06. I chose the Z06 and am very happy with my decision. But I am an enthusiast for different reasons that you obviously.
I agree. People really need to drive both cars for more than a "test drive" before they form a solid opinion. I've owned many Corvettes and I now own a Gen3 Viper. After putting 2k miles on it, the Viper has to go. I'm gonna get my first C6 Z06. I know it's a better car for me and it's a little faster stock for stock. The Viper is almost unbearable. It's hot, cramped, noisy, and has a very harsh ride. I can tolerate a lot of things but my gf won't even ride in the car anymore. Again, a lot of people like it. I don't and it's just not for me. To me, as some have stated earlier, it will always be a Dodge. Sure it's built in a different plant but you can see the hints in the interior. People bash the Vette's interior so much but have you really paid any attention to the Viper's interior/quality? It's much worse than the Vette interior. I've worked on my Viper and I've had it apart so I know what I'm talking about. I will say this...the Viper does have a healthy frame structure. I've never once felt that the Corvette felt flimsy or "fragile" as some have put it but again, we are talking about individual opinions. The suspension is good for stock although it is very harsh for the street. The motor is strong and torquey and the transmission has a very positive feel to it.

Overall, at the end of the day, it depends on what gets your heart pumping as to which car is better suited to you. Owning a Viper only confirmed what I had always believed....the Corvette is the better car. It is for me anyway. The high points of the Viper was the engine and the seats. I need more than that out of a car.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vipers are cool, but a little to bling for me. I did not buy a car so people will look at me. (EDIT).....and I'm sure not all Viper owners buy it for that reason.

I am happiest when speeding down a empty back road, with the windows down, enjoying the music of a 427.

Last edited by Zee0hSix; 04-13-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:42 AM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I think a Viper could be considered an investment - it will go up in value sooner than a Z06. I love the Viper even though I am not a Dodge fan either. I will probably end up getting one in addition to my Z06. I do not like the new vipers- think they look just like the C6 vette. I am more into the first/second generation ones.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like there is a lot of attention whoring going on in here.

Call me crazy, but I for one like to see other vettes on the road, especially the Z06s.

I actually really like the Viper too. I've never owned one, but I actually rented an SRT-10 in Vegas before for fun, and it was a kick *** ride.

I ever got a Viper; however, the last reason would be because of how much attention it did or did not get.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:06 AM
Luis Agrinsoni
1st Gear

Default Viper 2006 shocks

Originally Posted by 4SELLL
Ive owned both 06 viper coupe and 07 z06 as daily drivers. Here are the differences that stood out to me.

The Viper looks cooler and gets alot more attention.
The viper gets much hotter in the cockpit.
The seat in the viper is very narrow and the sound system sucks in viper.
Z06 has real navigation and selectable stability control.
Everything to modify or repair on the viper is alot more expensive.
I feel the cars are very similar performance wise.
The viper is much more sensitive to mileage when you resale them.
The viper coupe is much easier to resale i sold mine within 1 day of listing the car.
The viper doesnt rub in the front on sloping driveways like vette does.
The viper (even the coupe) may leak water if you drive in rain. Body is glued together.
Viper steering is squirrly on grooved pavement.
anyome knows if i can use 2014 viper gts shock on my 2006 viper
Old 01-24-2017, 08:44 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Wrong forum. You might want to try a Viper forum.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Owners (Past, present) C6 Z06 & Gen III, IV Viper