Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Z07 vs Zr1 what would I miss?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:51 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 1,745 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by musclecar6
For street use, the instant full torque of the ZR1 at virtually any time will be a lot more sh&% eating grin fun than the Z06/Z07. Course if you're a super thifty type get the one with 133 hp/134trq less.
There is a BIG difference in the way ZR1 flies

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
Did anyone mention bragging rights? Oh, and as my wife mentioned when I looked at a Z06, "you'll always have that nagging feeling that you didn't get what you really wanted".

Originally Posted by 355Spider
If you even have to ask yourself the question you should stick with the Z07. It's a phenominal car. The ZR1 is just a little more phenominal. But if you concerned about money I would stick with the ZR1. Most of us who bought ours just had to have it. When you do you know. There is no question. You don't want to regret your purchase.
LOTZ more than " a little more phenomenal "

Originally Posted by ries
The amount of torque in a m5 or a c5 z is nothing compared to a c6 zr1. not trying to be rude, just honest
Or a Z06. Muxh faster than either an M5 or C5Z.
More than a C6Z06
Get the KING! (waiting for Lisa!) If $$$ is not an issue, You will not regret it
Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM
99HRDTP
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by alsab44
There are so many comments from the mags as to how much of a beast on the street the Z06 is the latest Motor Trend as an example I was looking to poeple who have actually driven both for real feedback.

It's one thing to take a test drive it's completely different to have owned both.

Thanks for the responses.

I wouldn't get caught up in magazine reviews. The ZO6 was king for a year before they got sour and nitpicky on it. Then the ZR1 was the **** for the same time, and then got picked apart. Now the ZO7 is the cat's azz for the track. Mags do what they do to sell copy.

Originally Posted by alsab44
Your not being rude at all that is one of the reasons I want to change to the Z06 or a ZR1 and lack of that torque is why I am leaning towards the Corvettes instead of a 911.
I know the ZR1 has more than the Z06 so that is part of my request for input how different is it?
Thanks

You won't regret either, but FWIW, I drove the ZO6 to work today and wished it were the ZR1, instead.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:12 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 99HRDTP
I wouldn't get caught up in magazine reviews. The ZO6 was king for a year before they got sour and nitpicky on it. Then the ZR1 was the **** for the same time, and then got picked apart. Now the ZO7 is the cat's azz for the track. Mags do what they do to sell copy.
You won't regret either, but FWIW, I drove the ZO6 to work today and wished it were the ZR1, instead.
Nice when you have both I agree, the mags say whatever they want without the true facts. I will go with what those who have drove both and the GM test drivers have told me
Old 03-28-2011, 03:20 PM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

I toyed with the same issue. I wanted a Z06 SO bad. I did a build on-line and when I hit $99K, my husband said - if you're gonna do this, why not get the biggest and baddest. No regrets.

I've never driven a Z06 but I can tell you, this ZR1 is an awesome car. I don't plan on ever tracking it but it drives like a pure dream on the road. Running through the gears and getting up to speed is an awesome feeling (not that you can't do that in a Z06). However, noone can say you won't have the best vette ever built. If you can afford the extra $$ I say do it. Never look back and never regret that you didn't go for the gusto.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

If you even have to ask yourself the question you should stick with the Z07. It's a phenominal car. The ZR1 is just a little more phenominal. But if you concerned about money I would stick with the ZR1. Most of us who bought ours just had to have it. When you do you know. There is no question. You don't want to regret your purchase.

this about says it all...
Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 PM
fts
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
Did anyone mention bragging rights? Oh, and as my wife mentioned when I looked at a Z06, "you'll always have that nagging feeling that you didn't get what you really wanted".
Old 03-28-2011, 11:54 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I've read too much to trust the LS7 or to mistrust the LS3/LS9

Several years after buying my '05 I wanted a Z06. I prefer the styling of the Z06 and wanted the additional power. About the time I was ready to make the jump the Z06 roofs began to blow off.

Now, I know that has been fixed and is seldom reported today. However, I still recall the photos of the tiny bit of adhesive holding the top panels in place. Amazing engineering/production mistake.

But, that problem put my zeal to upgrade to a Z06 on temporary hold. Of course, since day one of the Z06 introduction ( and before leading up to it ) I have read everything about the car I could find. This included as they became available hundreds or thousands of posts by Z06 owners.

Learning from the experience of others it's called.

So about the time the Z06 flying roof problem was fixed I was ready to roll. However, reading about the car constantly as I do, I was learning about the need to constantly remove and replace the clutch fluid. It seems the design is flawed and the fluid gets cooked really fast causing little things to happen like the clutch pedal to fail to function. Little things like that.

Also, about that time I began to read multiple reports of LS7 engine failures. These were generally caused by broken valves. Some pretty amazing photos have been posted showing big holes in the engine blocks. Owners began to find needle bearings from the rockers in the oil pan about this time too.

Now, most are now saying the LS7/Z06 problems are all fixed and a thing of the past. But, I cannot "unread" all the articles and owner reports. I have my doubts. Other owners express the belief ( more than a simple opinion ) that there never were any problems, that the LS7 is no more failure prone than any other engine.

I don't believe that one. With tens of thousands more LS3s built than LS7s it's difficult to find an account of an LS3 destroying itself the way some LS7s have done. It's difficult, not impossible, but relatively speaking difficult to find reports of broken valves in an LS3 as well.

What I'm left with is a feeling that I'd never be comfortable driving a Z06. I simply do not trust the LS7. The LS9 on the other hand is a significantly improved LS3. Different block alloy, different internals, while sharing external dimensions and most design features with the LS3.

Also, now that the ZR1 has been out for several years we most certainly would have heard by now if a rash of LS9 failures were going to occur. Hello? I haven't heard them here or elsewhere.....nothing even remotely resembling what happened with the LS7.

Thus, I have my sights set on a ZR1. It's more money of course but I trust the engine and the brakes are current technology and not a relic of the 60s in terms of design as those of the Z06.

My personal strategy at this time is to wait until the C7 is introduced then pounce on a leftover new ZR1. No doubt the C7 will be awesome. I might even want one. But, the ZR1 is an ultimate sports car. I'm going to let the "gotta have the newest NOW" crowd chase the C7 with wads of cash for the much higher msrp and "market adjustments" by dealers. For me it will be a sweet deal on a lonely leftover ZR1.

Last edited by OregonC6; 03-28-2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1GSVert
There is a BIG difference in the way ZR1 flies

LOTZ more than " a little more phenomenal "

More than a C6Z06
Get the KING! (waiting for Lisa!) If $$$ is not an issue, You will not regret it
Deb, where are you seeing this VAST difference in acceleration between the 2 cars?

Just recently a 09 Z06 and ZR1 set terrific times at the track, both on DR's the difference was an earth shattering.....ready for this..... (.19 seconds...ZR1 10.56 vs Z06 10.75

Doesn't seem to be that huge a difference when looking at the numbers the best drivers are getting.....so let's stop exaggerating things shall we.

So to the OP, is the extra 30-40k worth a couple tenths in the 1/4? Do you race to speeds over 170mph often? Do you want the bragging rights?

Both are terrific cars, can't go wrong with either.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:06 AM
Leroy Amy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Z06 vs ZR1

Originally Posted by OregonC6
Several years after buying my '05 I wanted a Z06. I prefer the styling of the Z06 and wanted the additional power. About the time I was ready to make the jump the Z06 roofs began to blow off.

Now, I know that has been fixed and is seldom reported today. However, I still recall the photos of the tiny bit of adhesive holding the top panels in place. Amazing engineering/production mistake.

But, that problem put my zeal to upgrade to a Z06 on temporary hold. Of course, since day one of the Z06 introduction ( and before leading up to it ) I have read everything about the car I could find. This included as they became available hundreds or thousands of posts by Z06 owners.

Learning from the experience of others it's called.

So about the time the Z06 flying roof problem was fixed I was ready to roll. However, reading about the car constantly as I do, I was learning about the need to constantly remove and replace the clutch fluid. It seems the design is flawed and the fluid gets cooked really fast causing little things to happen like the clutch pedal to fail to function. Little things like that.

Also, about that time I began to read multiple reports of LS7 engine failures. These were generally caused by broken valves. Some pretty amazing photos have been posted showing big holes in the engine blocks. Owners began to find needle bearings from the rockers in the oil pan about this time too.

Now, most are now saying the LS7/Z06 problems are all fixed and a thing of the past. But, I cannot "unread" all the articles and owner reports. I have my doubts. Other owners express the belief ( more than a simple opinion ) that there never were any problems, that the LS7 is no more failure prone than any other engine.

I don't believe that one. With tens of thousands more LS3s built than LS7s it's difficult to find an account of an LS3 destroying itself the way some LS7s have done. It's difficult, not impossible, but relatively speaking difficult to find reports of broken valves in an LS3 as well.

What I'm left with is a feeling that I'd never be comfortable driving a Z06. I simply do not trust the LS7. The LS9 on the other hand is a significantly improved LS3. Different block alloy, different internals, while sharing external dimensions and most design features with the LS3.

Also, now that the ZR1 has been out for several years we most certainly would have heard by now if a rash of LS9 failures were going to occur. Hello? I haven't heard them here or elsewhere.....nothing even remotely resembling what happened with the LS7.

Thus, I have my sights set on a ZR1. It's more money of course but I trust the engine and the brakes are current technology and not a relic of the 60s in terms of design as those of the Z06.

My personal strategy at this time is to wait until the C7 is introduced then pounce on a leftover new ZR1. No doubt the C7 will be awesome. I might even want one. But, the ZR1 is an ultimate sports car. I'm going to let the "gotta have the newest NOW" crowd chase the C7 with wads of cash for the much higher msrp and "market adjustments" by dealers. For me it will be a sweet deal on a lonely leftover ZR1.
Hi, Have had both cars, the Z06 No complaints, no complaints with the ZR1, you have to consider that they made twice as many Z06 s the first year out as compared to the total number ZR1s made till now,(6500+Z06/3000+ZR1-2009 + 2010) also many people drove the C6 z to it's limits and beyond. To sum it up, BOTH are GOOD CARS and for the most part very TROUBLE FREE, IMOP, If you are an all out flat to the floor 24/7 person, buy the ZR1, THIS DOES NOT SAY YOU"RE TROUBLE FREE. Either way buy one and ENJOY, they are GOOD CARS, Good Luck.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:52 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Deb, where are you seeing this VAST difference in acceleration between the 2 cars?

Just recently a 09 Z06 and ZR1 set terrific times at the track, both on DR's the difference was an earth shattering.....ready for this..... (.19 seconds...ZR1 10.56 vs Z06 10.75

Doesn't seem to be that huge a difference when looking at the numbers the best drivers are getting.....so let's stop exaggerating things shall we.

So to the OP, is the extra 30-40k worth a couple tenths in the 1/4? Do you race to speeds over 170mph often? Do you want the bragging rights?

No exaggerating. Anyone who has driven both will tell you there is a HUGE difference in the clutch, and the take off of the ZR1 vs the Z06.
ZR1 is the KING no dispute. There are a lot of differences in the 2 cars for the $$$ . A Z07 is not $30/40K more than a ZR1. The pricing is pretty close........ Read the specs/Builds/Pricing for the facts........... I don't get in to the track ....................so those numbers are not of any importance to me. And OP said he wanted one for Street use!

Last edited by DebRedZR1; 03-29-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 AM
slacker1201
Lifetime NCM Member #2497
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10-11-12 Veteran

Old 03-29-2011, 11:05 AM
ries
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No exaggerating. Anyone who has driven both will tell you there is a HUGE difference in the clutch, and the take off of the ZR1 vs the Z06.
ZR1 is the KING no dispute. There are a lot of differences in the 2 cars for the $$$ . A Z07 is not $30/40K more than a ZR1. The pricing is pretty close........ Read the specs/Builds/Pricing for the facts........... I don't get in to the track ....................so those numbers are not of any importance to me. And OP said he wanted one for Street use!
As usual gm raids all parts that make there top model special.
This is why i say a zo6 optioned w/ zo7 is zr1 with a zo6 motor. To say it a diff way the only diff between the 2 cars is the motor and some badges. IMO you can pick up a zr1 for 100 or less why by a zo6. Oh and i agree with deb. the op is talking about the street. I have owned both and the zr1 is sig faster.
also at spring mt a reg zo6 is 3s slower per lap. That is not even in the same class. I loved my zo6 but the zr1 is a cut above. If you actually had to pay 120+ then i could poss understand the argument but it is not 30-40 grand in difference.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:37 AM
CrystalRedZ07
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

When I was negotiating with my dealer before ordering, my ZR1 "build" was $123,600 discounted to $114,000 (back in August) and my Z06 was $90,060 discounted to $78,000. I know that much better deals can be had now, but back then there was a significant difference in price. Gonna buy that ZR1 one day!

Last edited by CrystalRedZ07; 03-29-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-29-2011, 12:30 PM
ries
Racer

The best deal is to buy someones garage queen zo6 with 3000k miles for 45k. In that sense the used zo6 is the best car. It just depends on how look at it.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:11 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

As usual gm raids all parts that make there top model special.
This is why i say a zo6 optioned w/ zo7 is zr1 with a zo6 motor. To say it a diff way the only diff between the 2 cars is the motor and some badges. IMO you can pick up a zr1 for 100 or less why by a zo6. Oh and i agree with deb. the op is talking about the street. I have owned both and the zr1 is sig faster.
also at spring mt a reg zo6 is 3s slower per lap. That is not even in the same class. I loved my zo6 but the zr1 is a cut above. If you actually had to pay 120+ then i could poss understand the argument but it is not 30-40 grand in difference.
There are many more differences starting with the Clutch, LS7/LS9 and painted vs Clear Coated Carbon Fiber just to start

<<<Chevrolet now offers the Z07 Performance Package. This $9,495 option includes four chassis upgrades from the ZR1, including that model’s Brembo carbon-ceramic brakes, 19- and 20-inch wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires (285/30ZR19 front, 335/25ZR20 rear) and Magnetic Ride Control shock absorbers. To close the appearance gap, as well as to improve the Z06’s aerodynamics, Chevrolet offers the $3,995 CFZ Carbon Fiber Package, which equips the Z06 with the ZR1’s carbon-fiber front splitter, rocker panels and roof (all painted black, as opposed to clear-coated on the ZR1), and also its full-width body-color rear spoiler. Combine these two packages, and you ostensibly have an LS7-powered ZR1 with a price tag that is $22K short of the 638-horsepower real deal.
>>>

Much more can be found on the specs
Old 03-29-2011, 02:37 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

How about drive them both and decide whether the ZR1 is worth the extra money TO YOU?
Old 03-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
How about drive them both and decide whether the ZR1 is worth the extra money TO YOU?

Get notified of new replies

To Z07 vs Zr1 what would I miss?

Old 03-29-2011, 03:20 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Even if you use that comparison, the .19 sec difference in 1/4 mile time would equal to the ZR1 having about a 2.5 car length lead in the 1/4. It is not like they are right next to each other. Also if you do the comparison with stock tires (same day/same track) the difference grows to .36 sec or about 5 car lengths. Not as trival when you look at it in terms of car lengths. What keeps the Z06 close to the ZR1 in a standing start acceleration event is the very tall 1st gear the ZR1 has. The seat of the pants difference is very noticable from any type of rolling speed.

I sure hope the OP is not making his decision just based on 1/4 mile times.

Last edited by racerns; 03-29-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Kurac
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The best deal is to buy someones garage queen zo6 with 3000k miles for 45k. In that sense the used zo6 is the best car. It just depends on how look at it.
Hard to beat the value of a low $40K, low mileage Z
Old 03-29-2011, 04:04 PM
ries
Racer

There are many more differences starting with the Clutch, LS7/LS9 and painted vs Clear Coated Carbon Fiber just to start

<<<Chevrolet now offers the Z07 Performance Package. This $9,495 option includes four chassis upgrades from the ZR1, including that model’s Brembo carbon-ceramic brakes, 19- and 20-inch wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires (285/30ZR19 front, 335/25ZR20 rear) and Magnetic Ride Control shock absorbers. To close the appearance gap, as well as to improve the Z06’s aerodynamics, Chevrolet offers the $3,995 CFZ Carbon Fiber Package, which equips the Z06 with the ZR1’s carbon-fiber front splitter, rocker panels and roof (all painted black, as opposed to clear-coated on the ZR1), and also its full-width body-color rear spoiler. Combine these two packages, and you ostensibly have an LS7-powered ZR1 with a price tag that is $22K short of the 638-horsepower real deal.
>>>

Much more can be found on the specs
good point i forgot about the clutch.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Z07 vs Zr1 what would I miss?