Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] a review of akrapovic exhaust for a c6 z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:31 AM
msnbound
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default a review of akrapovic exhaust for a c6 z06

I have had the akrapovic ss axle back for about 2 weeks now...
I love the sound so much, and i cannot believe i hesitated on making this purchase.....I did not opt for the evo version with the x pipe, because i heard that it "tamed" down the sound of the exhaust. Moreover, I am planning a LG long tubes with has its own x-pipe with cats.......

first of all, the sound is not obnoxiously loud as my stingers were in my old c5z........in fact, it is a very "tight" sound with great bass throughout the RPM band.......I would say it's about a 30 to 40% increase of loudness as compared to the stock c6z06 exhaust....In other words, the Akrapovic is a very exotic sounding exhaust.....a friend of mine even commented on the similarities of sound between my z and a ferrari 458.......

In terms of droning, not much, maybe in the lower RPM's, but very tolerable and I am able to keep a conversation or listen to music on the highway with the valve closed....with the valve open, it was a little bit more up on the volume, but still bearable......in my old c5z with the borla stingers, the drone was loud and unbearable, and i couldn't carry conversations or listen to music (but that's why we have an option to close it on the akrapovics, right????)

in terms of throttle response, i don't have dyno numbers, but it is definately quicker than before......the rpms seems to jump faster to redline than before......and it does so very smoothly......

all in all, just an excellent purchase that i have not regretted......you can take my 360 forged wheels, just don't take my akrapovics......lol

Those of you that are thinking about it.......don't think, JUST DO!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:44 AM
titleist731
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stainless or titanium version?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:11 AM
msnbound
Drifting

Originally Posted by titleist731
stainless or titanium version?
stainless
Old 03-28-2011, 06:22 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Just curious how much they go for, because I opted for Fusions and they are not cheap mufflers either.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:38 AM
msnbound
Drifting

i got mine from southercarparts......they are great vendors! pm them for the best price, they are not allowed to advertise their price on the forums.....
Old 03-28-2011, 01:11 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by msnbound
i got mine from southercarparts......they are great vendors! pm them for the best price, they are not allowed to advertise their price on the forums.....
Yes, same here. Contact Jim at Southern Car Parts. Great to deal with.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

What made you decide on the Akrapovic axle back over the B&B Fusion?
Old 03-28-2011, 02:37 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

I have had the akrapovic ss axle back for about 2 weeks now...
I love the sound so much, and i cannot believe i hesitated on making this purchase.....I did not opt for the evo version with the x pipe, because i heard that it "tamed" down the sound of the exhaust. Moreover, I am planning a LG long tubes with has its own x-pipe with cats.......

first of all, the sound is not obnoxiously loud as my stingers were in my old c5z........in fact, it is a very "tight" sound with great bass throughout the RPM band.......I would say it's about a 30 to 40% increase of loudness as compared to the stock c6z06 exhaust....In other words, the Akrapovic is a very exotic sounding exhaust.....a friend of mine even commented on the similarities of sound between my z and a ferrari 458.......

In terms of droning, not much, maybe in the lower RPM's, but very tolerable and I am able to keep a conversation or listen to music on the highway with the valve closed....with the valve open, it was a little bit more up on the volume, but still bearable......in my old c5z with the borla stingers, the drone was loud and unbearable, and i couldn't carry conversations or listen to music (but that's why we have an option to close it on the akrapovics, right????)

in terms of throttle response, i don't have dyno numbers, but it is definately quicker than before......the rpms seems to jump faster to redline than before......and it does so very smoothly......

all in all, just an excellent purchase that i have not regretted......you can take my 360 forged wheels, just don't take my akrapovics......lol

Those of you that are thinking about it.......don't think, JUST DO!!!!!!!

Hi Dennis,

Very happy to hear you like the system!!!

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments.

Jim
Old 03-28-2011, 02:38 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice bud,
Glad you like the exhaust.. Now it's on my radar.. .

BTW, don't get me started on 360 Forged AKA Forged DST. Worst experience with a company / owner i ever had the unfortunate displeasure of experiencing..
The following users liked this post:
Arctic Vette (02-18-2016)
Old 03-28-2011, 02:40 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Also, can you please post up some video? preferably under light and heavy acceleration - in and out of car?

Thanks,
Old 03-28-2011, 02:41 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Originally Posted by southerncarparts
Hi Dennis,

Very happy to hear you like the system!!!

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments.

Jim
Jim, can you please shoot me a price quote for both systems?
Old 03-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by FAsnakes
Also, can you please post up some video? preferably under light and heavy acceleration - in and out of car?

Thanks,
That would be nice. In the meantime here's one that I like. If I remember right this car doesn't have headers or cam but, as stated, it has the full system w/ X-pipe. I love the way it sounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31s6WX0e3Uc
Old 03-28-2011, 05:51 PM
GIO-305
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ufaj26
Yes, same here. Contact Jim at Southern Car Parts. Great to deal with.

Jim is the man
Old 03-28-2011, 08:15 PM
CrashTest
Advanced

Did you sign an NDA with them or something? Why does the cost of everything have to be such a big freeking secret?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:19 PM
ZenOhSix
Instructor

Originally Posted by FAsnakes
BTW, don't get me started on 360 Forged AKA Forged DST. Worst experience with a company / owner i ever had the unfortunate displeasure of experiencing..
???
Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by CrashTest
Did you sign an NDA with them or something? Why does the cost of everything have to be such a big freeking secret?
Forum policy seems to be the reason and most of us would probably not want to cause a good vendor any problems by putting out info that would bring heat upon them.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:54 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Why does the cost of everything have to be such a big freeking secret?
Most of the manufacturers make the vendors complete on a somewhat level playing field by making them only advertise the suggested list pricing on a forum(s).

Get notified of new replies

To a review of akrapovic exhaust for a c6 z06

Old 03-28-2011, 09:10 PM
CrashTest
Advanced

Originally Posted by Les
Forum policy seems to be the reason and most of us would probably not want to cause a good vendor any problems by putting out info that would bring heat upon them.

If I buy something and tell people what I paid, how would that bring heat upon the guy who sold it to me? Would I see a couple of black SUV's pull into my driveway?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:16 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

If I buy something and tell people what I paid, how would that bring heat upon the guy who sold it to me? Would I see a couple of black SUV's pull into my driveway?
That would be a violation of the secret code..
Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 PM
CrashTest
Advanced

Originally Posted by u1arunit
That would be a violation of the secret code..
That's cool, but I'm all about sharing price info as much as possible in hopes of preventing fellow owners from overpaying. "Secret" pricing helps sellers, not owners.

Quick Reply: [Z06] a review of akrapovic exhaust for a c6 z06