Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Long Awaited Pictures of L.E.D.'s - Interior and Exterior

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 12:36 PM
427PWRD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geared
is that a local tampa law? Im in South Florida and havent had any issue.

I have no problem with these....they arent blue although the picture may look that way.....

these are PURE WHITE.

Also......HID headlight bulbs will get you pulled in Tampa? No BMW owners allowed? lol

thanks for the compliment
I have the same lights, and in fact I had an officer following me one day, and as I pulled into a parking lot, he followed and came up to me and asked where he could get the same lights for his C6, I of course told him Corvette Mods. It gives it a nicer look for sure
Old 04-24-2011, 01:54 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by supercoolsix
do you guys have any issues with the LEDs slightly lit up even when the car is off? i've heard that LED replacements can still have a slight "glow"
Mine had that problem as the mirror leds would dim down but not fully turn off as the BCM could not tell they were still on and drawing a slight amount of juice. I ended up using a 'festoon' which is a 194 type bulb with socket that I tapped into one of the under dash harnesses with. This is just enough load to show the BCM a draw and it turns the lights off completely.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:19 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Looks great, I did the same thing which included all the interior and exterior. Now, take it further and get the LED Eagle eye tail lights and you will be blown away on how cool they look. I was on the fence for a good year but then a buddy put them in his Z and I HAD to do it and couldn't be happier with the results.

Last edited by chasboland; 04-24-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:37 PM
nd3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by show723
The only complaint I have is that the led's don't have the light output as the other bulbs did. I couldn't see a thing backing into my garage tonight.

My complaint as well! I ended up putting my stock bulbs back in because of this. Anybody want a good deal on them pm me.

Originally Posted by u1arunit
Mine had that problem as the mirror leds would dim down but not fully turn off as the BCM could not tell they were still on and drawing a slight amount of juice. I ended up using a 'festoon' which is a 194 type bulb with socket that I tapped into one of the under dash harnesses with. This is just enough load to show the BCM a draw and it turns the lights off completely.

Yes! I need help with this as I have the "eternal glow" as well. Please go into a little more detail for the electrically challenged folks. Where did you get the festoon from (had to google it to see what festoon means). What harness under the dash? A pic of the setup would probably answer my questions.

Thanks, Nat
Old 04-24-2011, 08:17 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nd3
My complaint as well! I ended up putting my stock bulbs back in because of this. Anybody want a good deal on them pm me....

...Yes! I need help with this as I have the "eternal glow" as well. Please go into a little more detail for the electrically challenged folks. Where did you get the festoon from (had to google it to see what festoon means). What harness under the dash? A pic of the setup would probably answer my questions.

Thanks, Nat
Don't sell them just yet! I did not take pics but it's so easy you will be surprised.

You need one of these:

Then tap into the under-dash light socket wiring(I used the passenger side) and a couple t-taps like these but be sure to use the 18-22 gauge wire ones which I think are the red ones:

I then installed a 194 bulb(use one of the stock ones) and tested the circuit. It added just enough of a load for the BCM to still do the theater lighting time out thing and it works great. I ended up zip tying the wiring and pigtail to another harness above the hush panel where the led mounts so that it lights up but does not touch anything else or cast any light that can be seen as it's above the panel.

BTW, it does not matter which wire is tapped into which side as this type of bulb can be installed in either direction. It just needs to be tapped in.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by u1arunit; 04-24-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 PM
show723
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have the eternal glow issue...yet.

chasboland, any pics of your tails? I'm on the fence about them too. But the only way I'd get them is if they're blacked out.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:42 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Here's my LED tails from Yates performance ( I know....ford lovers) on Ebouy. First picture catches the left turn signal activated.
Actually look better in person than in the pictures, bright as hell after dark. Love em.
Attached Images   

Last edited by chasboland; 04-25-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 PM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Does anyone sell the complete kit with all the interior and exterior bulbs, like a package?
Old 04-26-2011, 01:25 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

I did LEDs on my car both inside and out (well, anywhere that doesn't have a colored lens). The vanity mirrors SUCK to do. They are actually pure white, but don't look it in the photos. I got all of mine from because the ones I bought before from a vendor I won't mention (but boy do I want to) all crapped out within a couple of months... and no warranty is offered. My new ones have been perfectly fine. My new ones were bought from Super Bright LEDs.

Last edited by DSteck; 04-27-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Non supporting vendor
Old 04-26-2011, 01:52 PM
0corvettemods1
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by BigMike NY
Does anyone sell the complete kit with all the interior and exterior bulbs, like a package?
We do, see our post on this thread
Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 PM
show723
Racer

Originally Posted by chasboland
Here's my LED tails from Yates performance ( I know....ford lovers) on Ebouy. First picture catches the left turn signal activated.
Actually look better in person than in the pictures, bright as hell after dark. Love em.
Thanks, chasboland! Those look amazing. These led's are great too because if I do (and I will) black them out, I won't have to worry about the blackout being too dark to see the lights (I know it sounds crazy but some forum members have discussed their issues with someone running into the back of their cars and they're the ones that got in trouble for not giving the cars behind them every chance to see their taillights), and I won't have to worry about any heat issues either since led's give off almost nothing.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:35 AM
0corvettemods1
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Old 04-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Stars_Fan
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks good
Old 05-01-2011, 12:03 AM
show723
Racer

I don't have the eternal glow issue...yet.
I spoke too soon. Drove it home tonight and noticed it in the garage. Is there any other fix other than the festoon? I know my way around my Z, but electrical is def. not my thing.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:29 PM
nd3
Advanced

I spoke too soon. Drove it home tonight and noticed it in the garage. Is there any other fix other than the festoon? I know my way around my Z, but electrical is def. not my thing.

Yeah, when I do mine, I will probably root around in there following the directions that u1arunit posted (Thanks by the way!) Electrical work is not my thing either. It was a pain in the *** at 6'2" laying contorted in the floor board to install the footwell LEDs in the first place. Tell you the truth, I will have to be bored out of my mind and out of 4loko and beer with absolutely nothing else left to do but unload the dishwasher or something like that before I attempt this fix. Now that I think about it, I might not ever fix it since I throw a tender on it whenever I'm out of town for more than a couple of weeks!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:52 AM
SearayC5
Burning Brakes

Looks sick Geared. Don't worry, when I move down there, it will be one more black on black, loud as **** Z to take some of the heat from the LEO off of you. Haha.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:40 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by supercoolsix
do you guys have any issues with the LEDs slightly lit up even when the car is off? i've heard that LED replacements can still have a slight "glow"
If that's the case it's just because an LED is much more efficient so instead of the wire remaining a tad warm, you get light instead. It's not an LED problem, it's a wiring problem, if that's the case.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:12 AM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BSSN
If that's the case it's just because an LED is much more efficient so instead of the wire remaining a tad warm, you get light instead. It's not an LED problem, it's a wiring problem, if that's the case.
The BCM is supposed to sense a certain 'load' in order to work the lights properly. Since the LEDs draw way less they stay slightly illuminated. Wiring notwithstanding the only fix would be a festoon as I have done or adding in a load resistor which I did not want to deal with due to the heat factor of it's use.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:54 PM
show723
Racer

Originally Posted by nd3
Yeah, when I do mine, I will probably root around in there following the directions that u1arunit posted (Thanks by the way!) Electrical work is not my thing either. It was a pain in the *** at 6'2" laying contorted in the floor board to install the footwell LEDs in the first place. Tell you the truth, I will have to be bored out of my mind and out of 4loko and beer with absolutely nothing else left to do but unload the dishwasher or something like that before I attempt this fix. Now that I think about it, I might not ever fix it since I throw a tender on it whenever I'm out of town for more than a couple of weeks!
It's more of a pain at 6'6''!!! I looked like an idiot!!! And I guess I'll just throw it on the charger too. Good point.

Originally Posted by u1arunit
The BCM is supposed to sense a certain 'load' in order to work the lights properly. Since the LEDs draw way less they stay slightly illuminated. Wiring notwithstanding the only fix would be a festoon as I have done or adding in a load resistor which I did not want to deal with due to the heat factor of it's use.
That's another question...since the led's are just that much more efficient anyway, how much juice is this "eternal glow" actually pulling? Can't be much.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Long Awaited Pictures of L.E.D.'s - Interior and Exterior