Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Airflow/Downforce on stock Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:29 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Airflow/Downforce on stock Z06?

The Gurney flap on the back of the Z06 is rather substantial, as Gurney flaps go.

What kind of downforce is generated in the front to balance? How much downforce does the flap in the back generate? How is airflow managed under the car regarding lift/downforce?

Just curious what kind of downforce/at what speed is produced in the front/rear of the Z06 without CFZ package, etc.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:22 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Anyone?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:36 AM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Here's some interesting aero testing information from Katech.

http://www.katechengines.com/street_...a%20report.pdf
Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 AM
dsevo
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 96 Posts

Very interesting article, but I don't understand why they withheld the actual downforce numbers. To me the only reason anyone would do that is because they weren't impressive. For example, if the stock car had 1 lb. of lift, and then with their parts had 1 lb. of downforce, they could call that 200% increase in downforce. Now I just made these numbers up, but I think you can see my point.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:37 AM
avalonandl
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

The OEM's jealously gurd their "numbers" and aero is among them. Remember they have to compete with Porsche and others in GT ranks with stock body work. i am sure Katech was prevented from disclosing the real numbers as wind tunnel time is VERY expensive.\\

Avalon
Old 04-26-2011, 09:45 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

When the C6 Z06 was rolled out, there was a collection of SAE papers written around the development of the vehicle, along with a compilation of historic papers. I can't recall if aero was one of the topics. I do recall that there was a paper with pretty interesting info on a Grand Am production series Corvette and its aero development. I'll have to check out my book when I get back.

Last edited by acrace; 04-26-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:48 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

I found the listing of technical papers on the SAE website. Here's the list of technical papers in the book. Book code if you want to order it is PT-118. Yes, there is a paper on aero development of the C6 Z06.

http://www.sae.org/servlets/PaperEve...PROD_CD=PT-118
Old 04-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by dsevo
Very interesting article, but I don't understand why they withheld the actual downforce numbers. To me the only reason anyone would do that is because they weren't impressive. For example, if the stock car had 1 lb. of lift, and then with their parts had 1 lb. of downforce, they could call that 200% increase in downforce. Now I just made these numbers up, but I think you can see my point.
There are several reasons why we withheld the actual numbers.
1. Our competitors would benefit from our investment
2. The data is complex and needs to be interpreted appropriately
3. The data can be swayed greatly by small variables

Your assumption that the numbers weren't impressive is not correct. The numbers were huge. We went from the stock car having lift to triple digit downforce numbers.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 04-26-2011, 04:36 PM
dstiger
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason

Your assumption that the numbers weren't impressive is not correct. The numbers were huge. We went from the stock car having lift to triple digit downforce numbers.
COOL!

So can you "feel" the downforce at elevated speeds? I swear the car feels more "weighted" on the road. Like when you are expecting the car's road feel and steering inputs to diminish at elevated speeds but just the opposite occurs.

Am I imagining this?
Old 04-26-2011, 04:54 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

The stock car has lift? That is kinda weak. I guess the lip just reduces the lift bit adds no down force
Old 04-26-2011, 04:56 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Would I mess up the aero balance on my 09 Z06 by changing to the ZR1 rear spoiler while retaining the stock Z06 front spoiler (I can't drive around here with a lower spoiler)?

I like the looks of the ZR1 rear spoiler, but did find the aero stability with the stock spoilers to be fine at 170MPH (Mojave Mile).
Old 04-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by dstiger
COOL!

So can you "feel" the downforce at elevated speeds? I swear the car feels more "weighted" on the road. Like when you are expecting the car's road feel and steering inputs to diminish at elevated speeds but just the opposite occurs.

Am I imagining this?
I've had overwhelming feedback saying our aero parts greatly plant the car and inspire confidence at high speed.

If you're talking about the car in stock form, I think you're imagining it. The car has lift from the factory so the faster you go the lighter it gets, and it does so exponentially.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Would I mess up the aero balance on my 09 Z06 by changing to the ZR1 rear spoiler while retaining the stock Z06 front spoiler (I can't drive around here with a lower spoiler)?

I like the looks of the ZR1 rear spoiler, but did find the aero stability with the stock spoilers to be fine at 170MPH (Mojave Mile).
The car has more lift in the front than in the rear. If you're tackling just the rear you are going to wrong direction for balance. You might want to consider one of our front splitters.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:36 PM
dstiger
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I've had overwhelming feedback saying our aero parts greatly plant the car and inspire confidence at high speed.

If you're talking about the car in stock form, I think you're imagining it. The car has lift from the factory so the faster you go the lighter it gets, and it does so exponentially.
That is what I figured!

LOL

Old 04-26-2011, 07:17 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

The car has more lift in the front than in the rear. If you're tackling just the rear you are going to wrong direction for balance. You might want to consider one of our front splitters.
My car has Bilstein sport shocks which settled the car down at speed. Since I already drag the stock spoiler (replaced once, not just the underneath air dam) I suspected and you confirmed, the ZR1 spoiler would make the balance worse than stock, so no changes for me.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:34 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Here's what worked for me:

GM full length Rear spoiler, ZR-1 side skirts, ZR-1 front splitter.

I didn't want to put the front splitter with under tray.
Instead I removed the middle piece on the air dam.
I left the two small pieces of air dam on each side to keep air going to the brake ducts and channeled around the front wheels.

I also have the DRM revalved Bilstein shocks.

The car is rock solid at when I run her up to 140.

Last edited by DaOtherOne; 04-26-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:38 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just installed the Katech front splitter w/ brake ducts and under tray and the Keteck rear spoiler. I also installed the RPI side skirts. I was at VIR this last weekend and have several qualitative observations. First the Z was much better planted over the rise on the back straight and the rotors seemed to be much cooler after a run. Usually, the radiant heat is very significant. With the new duct system and the Quantum cooling kit, the difference was obvious.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Airflow/Downforce on stock Z06?

Old 05-13-2011, 06:27 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by avalonandl
The OEM's jealously gurd their "numbers" and aero is among them. Remember they have to compete with Porsche and others in GT ranks with stock body work. i am sure Katech was prevented from disclosing the real numbers as wind tunnel time is VERY expensive.\\

Avalon
Dodge happily tells us the DF on a stock Viper and stock settings for the ACR.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:29 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

This is why I always thought the GM full-length spoiler was dumb without a splitter in conjunction.

Do you know how the Z07/CFZ package does? Is it technically more planted, or is it REALLY more planted?

If you are judging this just from steering feel, I agree. It weights up as you speed up. That has nothing to do with the condition of the tires vs. road and how well they know each other at that moment in time unless they actually lose contact, then you will fell it in the steering and running down your pant-leg as well at those speeds, lol

Last edited by BSSN; 05-13-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:46 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

How much does the factory rake offset the lift?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Airflow/Downforce on stock Z06?