Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] True difference between "traction control off" and "competitive driving mode"

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:32 PM
dsharkman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default True difference between "traction control off" and "competitive driving mode"

What is the true difference between "traction control off" and "competitive driving mode"? I autoX my 2007 Z06 and have always run with the traction control and active handling on. I have recently learned I can control the car better with the "competitive driving mode" on. However, i don't understand the difference between the 2 modes. Please help.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:47 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,527 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Below I've copied a post by Ranger on this subject which is quite complete:

Ranger Post:
The documentation I've used includes
a. the Owner’s Manual, pp. 4-9 through 4-12.
b. The Service Manual p. 5-131 through 5-218; here Active Handling is called Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES). A good explanation of the functioning of the: VSES is found on page 5-217 and Traction Control System is found also on page 5-217.

I’ve studied the Active Handling System carefully because it’s a safety issue for racing. And, having raced three Z06s, I needed to be sure I adapted to inherent differences in the new generation when my C6Z was delivered in February 2006.

The Traction Control System (TCS) “limits wheel spin.” [Source Owner’s Manual p. 4-9 and Service Manual p. 5-217]

“The Active Handling System (AH) is a computer controlled system that helps the driver maintain directional control of the vehicle in difficult driving conditions. This is accomplished by selectively applying any one of the vehicle’s brakes.” [source Owner’s Manual p. 4-10 and Service Manual p. 5-217]

The normal functioning of the Anti-locking Brake System remains in effect for at all times.

These are the four different handling settings on the C6Z.

(1) Normal driving (Traction System-On and Active-Handling-On in its aggressive form)

(2) “Traction System-OFF” (TC-Off and AH-On in its aggressive form); DIC message and the TCS dashboard warning icon are set. Entered via one push of the button. Turning off TCS allows the wheels to spin without changing any other handling characteristic of the car. That means that the aggressive form of Active Handling remains available.

(3) “Competitive Driving Mode” (TS-Off and AH-On in its less aggressive form); DIC message is set. Entered via two pushes of the button. “Competitive Driving Mode allows the driver to have full control of the rear wheels while the Active Handling System helps maintain directional control of the vehicle by selective brake application.” [source Owner’s Manual p. 4-12]

(4) Traction System and Active Handling Off. DIC message is set. Entered via holding the button down for five seconds. “The anti-lock brake systems remain on with the Traction Control and Active Handling Systems off.” [source Owner’s Manual p. 3-65]

Again, the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) is always on and unaffected by selection of (1), (2), (3) and (4).

How Active Handling functions is sketched out here. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...80&postcount=9

That article is dated 2001 but the functions remain the same. What has changed is the speed of the communications channels between sensors on the C6 are more than ten times faster than on the C5. So now AH is perceived as smoother and more refined than before.

There are numerous undocumented features of the C6 platform. Some get discovered by owners and are written about here.

As you might imagine, there should be some difference between (1) Traction Control System Off and (2) Competitive Driving Mode; both turn off traction control.

The difference is in the degree of aggressiveness of AH. You can test that by tracking a turn (1) near the limit and watching AH intervene. Repeat the same turn at the same speed and steering angle but in (2). AH will probably NOT intervene. By this simple test, you have confirmed the difference. Dave Hill spoke about this AH difference in several lectures he gave after the Z06 was introduced.

Ranger
Old 04-25-2011, 09:50 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

try autocrossing with them off....[ traction and a/h]
Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 AM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by RFZ
try autocrossing with them off....[ traction and a/h]
If you are aggressive and don't have hours of seat time you will eventually loop your Z.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:00 PM
HeyDanNiceShot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dollarbill
If you are aggressive and don't have hours of seat time you will eventually loop your Z.
Not that I've ever done this...
Old 04-26-2011, 01:37 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

An additional bit of info is that if you have low tire pressure, an inop tire pressure sensor, you're running without sensors, or your sensors aren't programmed into the TPMS properly, you may not be able to go into Comp or turn AH off completely.

Different model years of the C6 seem to have a little different tolerance for running with no sensors, and some owners say they can still go into Comp or turn AH off when running with no sensors, and others say they have found a work around (something like ignition on without starting the car, push TC/AH button, start car, push TC/AH button again to go into Comp, or some such sequence).

Anyway, many of us that track our cars just run sensors in our track wheels/tires to avoid any problems on the track, because the car can go into the so-called "limp mode" and pull power on you and put on individual brakes to try to protect you when it thinks you might have tire pressure problems while you're attempting to drive aggressively.

Bob
Old 04-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Larry T
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...great info guys...thanx again...LT
Old 04-26-2011, 05:17 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Competition mode.....the computer does less to try and keep you out of the ditch. Good for autocross, and road racing.

Last edited by lebvette; 04-27-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To True difference between "traction control off" and "competitive driving mode"

Quick Reply: [Z06] True difference between "traction control off" and "competitive driving mode"